"It's That Time Again" December 30, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Happy new year, all of you Muggles. If there was a solvers convention in 2023… who would the speakers be? Would there be swag, and vendors? Live solving contests? Obviously, there would be a bar. I love the possibilities and daydreaming of New Year’s Day.
Steve_S

Post by Steve_S »

I'm ashore - Busy weekend, so didn't get a chance to work on it 'til late Saturday. Got the meta first thing Sunday morning - it's going to be a very crowded beach this week! Nice end of the year puzzle.
mangine

Post by mangine »

On shore! Here’s to spending more time on the beach in 2023 🍻
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Relic wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:33 pm 2nd day in, still nothing. Feeling pretty dumb sitting alone in the lounge. Thankfully Isaac doesn't judge. He's offering me comfort (Southern, that is). Not quite ready to raise the white flag yet. Sleep on it tonight and see what the morrow brings! Much respect to all you solvers who get these so quickly!

Happy and safe New Years to all of you!
If you're still there, you are not alone. I am right there with you. Have looked at it off and on all weekend and can't even come up with anything that connects the five theme entries, much less a clue that makes a fitting sixth.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Late start this week but on shore. Had to read the instructions (even out loud) to make sure I was solving for the right meta solution. Thanks to all the posts here encouraging the focus on what to look for! Wishing all a terrific 2023.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Well, Duh! Finally got it with a nudge from the Sunday evening Last Call Zoom. Should have seen it much earlier.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Happy New Year everyone. Completely forgot to come and post, but safely ashore long ago.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles. Our final count is one keeping Isaac company this week and 210 on the shore.

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Too late to be included in the count, but on shore nonetheless! Sending 2023 greetings from Hardy's Bay, NSW!
DSCF8102.jpeg
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

Ashore, finally.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20221230-WSJCC Its That Time Again.jpg
Grover

Post by Grover »

One little glitch in that grid - it's not YOUAREARLY, it's YOUREEARLY!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

And 46A should be IRA.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:27 am Good Friday morning muggles. A lot of traffic getting muggles to shore with more to come. We have 135 on the shore and 3 on the ship.

And for @DrTom I have one question - what am I supposed to do with "well" in your comment #142 (note the modification by the good doctor)

Now a public service announcement for all my muggle friends in the south especially @DrTom and @Meg and her cabana boy where it has been abnormally cold - think of the poor wild animals outside your door looking for a place to warm up.

322485049_501295252070980_3170442815634632919_n.jpg
You bringing in the bears Bob?

Oh. and if it is this guy, let him stay out:
SWEETHEART the Gator.jpg
Furthermore, be careful around these, they are not dead, just "resting"
Frozen Gator.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Berto

Post by Berto »

PQ63 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:15 am And 46A should be IRA.
And it should be ADIOS not ADIEU!

With that, I bid you good bye!

And Happy New Year!!
Relic

Post by Relic »

47D should be ashram not ushaam.

Not meaning to be a sore loser but in my opinion the AR to complete "year" comes from Ash ram, which is why I submitted the clue for 47D placid retreat as my solution.

Seriously?

I guess I've been pageanted. Not amused.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
SHIWUTONG

Post by SHIWUTONG »

I arrived at the right answer of Au Revoir, but never even saw the Five Theme Entries referenced in the contest answer instructions or even the HAPPY NEW YE.., Normally, I would explain my logic at arriving at the correct answer, but because there seems little chance of actually winning a mug even with a right answer, I no longer feel compelled to express how I was able to arrive at the right answer while also expressing a sentiment of the need to give it back. So for now, all I feel compelled to say is TATA! (Oh, and Happy New Year!)
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Relic wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:26 am

Not meaning to be a sore loser but in my opinion the AR to complete "year" comes from Ash ram, which is why I submitted the clue for 47D placid retreat as my solution.

Seriously?

The answer prompt said to find the two-word "clue entry" (not a "grid entry"). "Au revoir" was the only "clue entry" that had the initial letters "AR".
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dow Jones wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:39 am
Relic wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:26 am

Seriously?

The answer prompt said to find the two-word "clue entry" (not a "grid entry"). "Au revoir" was the only "clue entry" that had the initial letters "AR".
That'd have been really nice... but .... 1) Ashram is a single word and 2) the prompt was pretty explicit that it is a clue and distinctly specifies "(clue, not grid entry)".

I would say you've been pageanted. But you've been something....
SHIWUTONG wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:22 am I arrived at the right answer of Au Revoir, but never even saw the Five Theme Entries referenced in the contest answer instructions or even the HAPPY NEW YE.., Normally, I would explain my logic at arriving at the correct answer, but because there seems little chance of actually winning a mug even with a right answer, I no longer feel compelled to express how I was able to arrive at the right answer while also expressing a sentiment of the need to give it back. So for now, all I feel compelled to say is TATA! (Oh, and Happy New Year!)
I'm impressed but... how could you do a meta and not look at the prompt (??????)! Or (to a much less degree) the theme answers beginning with with asterisks.

Still, I love your attitude!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Apologies for the many mistakes in the reveal grid!

I "solved" the asterisked Theme Entries with essential cross entries, which, combined with the conveniently placed clue & entry at 70A, gave me the meta answer.

The remaining 4/5ths was hurried backfill. I was tempted to post the grid unfilled and as it stood upon grokking the meta. Could've. Should've? Didn't.

Happy New Year, muggles! 🎉🎆🎊