"All's Wool That End's Wool" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"All's Wool That End's Wool" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Ewe will have to excuse the puns, but meta puzzles come in all sheeps and sizes. If I can ram the point home, this one is definitely on the herd side! But if you keep at it ewe will find the answer to the meta, which is a computer-animated short film. Happy new shear, everyone!

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

All's Wool That Ends Wool - Online Form
All's Wool That Ends Wool - PUZ
All's Wool That Ends Wool - PDF
All's Wool That Ends Wool - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

This puzzle is dedicated to @Wendy Walker as thanks for creating a certain MMM prize and then sending it all the way to Australia!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

I found the answer with Google, but have absolutely no idea what the mechanism is. It’s an unsatisfying Aha moment.
Edit: thanks to a helpful Muggle, I saw what I needed to see. Satisfaction has returned.
Last edited by Meg on Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ditto… got the answer but not quite getting the backsolve

Edited: ahhh! Piggybacked on the nudge and backsolved to a suitable AHA (hard to tell in this font, but that’s AHA spelled backwards)

Had the right idea, just didn’t stick with it long enough… Tough to get for sure, but cool idea by Ben and must have been a tricky construction. Thanks for the puzzle, and continued happy holidays!
Ray
Darth

Post by Darth »

Was feeling "sew-sew" about this one,
but with a bit of MOATivation, I finally
needled my way through it...
Thanks for the puz, Ben!
knit.jpg
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

With some help.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're nearing the end of the first 24 hours so here's the first set of solvers:

Alex Sisti
Meg
Hector
rjy
dplass
DIS
Schmeel
Cindy Weatherman
Jaclyn
Darth
Joe
woozy
ChrisKochmanski
Dave C
whimsy

That's 15 to get us started!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

andbeyond.png

Saw the way in.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Now that's a meta in my wheelhouse! (The mechanism anyway; never heard of the movie, but once I found it in the puzzle, google confirmed that it exists.)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:55 pm We're nearing the end of the first 24 hours so here's the first set of solvers:

Alex Sisti
Meg
Hector
rjy
dplass
DIS
Schmeel
Cindy Weatherman
Jaclyn
Darth
Joe
woozy
ChrisKochmanski
Dave C
whimsy

That's 15 to get us started!
To be honest I just googled things in the correct category, still waiting on the actual metanism. Sometimes Crosshare is dangerous...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers, and then early nudges!

BarbaraK
jbird
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is one hint in the grid: 40 across.

2. You're looking for knitting circles in the grid, that start in the asterisked entries. But remember that the clue for 40 across said the circles are actually more like ovals.

3. You're looking for 6-letter items that are often knitted. Symmetry will be your friend in this search!

4. In Australia, a "jumper" is a knitted pullover.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed the third nudge, and needed to backsolve one piece, but got there. Thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

After the nudges, this meta ended wool !! Thanks, Ben.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat.

But I needed the first nudge to see what I had missed.

Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

MOAT crossed. I needed all of the nudges to pull the wool from over my eyes.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Moat crossed after the nudges! Wool removed from my eyes! I had right idea, but applied incorrectly! Thank you, Ben!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nudged across the MOAT. I enjoyed the meta and the film - once I found it. Thanks Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:26 pm
4. In Australia, a "jumper" is a knitted pullover.
4 1/2. in America too
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Now, that's a fine meta. I needed the clues as I was looking for the wrong thing(s).

Confirmed with crosshare