MGWCC #760 — “Word for Word”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:06 pm
Is there something like a standing Zoom that I should link to?

If so, how do I get to the link?
We have a dedicated Zoom room, which you can access via the link that should show at the top right of the web page:
zoom.png
This is the link to follow for all Zooms - including the standing Tuesday evening 7:30 ET, Friday afternoon WSJ 4:30 ET and Sunday evening last call 8pm ET.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Thanks greatly! See you soon!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I’m just going to use the zoom link at the top of the page
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

pshew! that’s a relief… thanks to a mid-meeting light-bulb moment for one, we all now can get back to spending time with our families! Submitted and waiting for the beam.

I did a whole lot more busy-work with this one than was necessary… though it’s impossible to know when you’re searching, which bit of busy-work is going to be productive! Glad that’s over…
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

What Wendy said about the Zoom meeting.

There are some Week 4 or 5s when, after a helpful nudge or two, I say, "Well, I never would have gotten that" and don't feel so bad. And there are some when I scream at myself, "It was right there staring you in the face." This was one of those.
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

A SAD one indeed. There are 13 solvers on the leaderboard right now (pre-zoom). I predict that will at least double with the next update. Thank you @AaronT and everyone else on the zoom.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
three

Post by three »

Shout out to @AaronT for being a true 58A on this one.
ChrisKochmanski

That was fun. I can say that, for a certain reason, I’d not likely have ever BEAMED UP without that Zoom call.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I didn't get it on the zoom call, just not as quick on the uptake as others. However, with a little thinking about what was discussed during the call, it came to me. Glad to have that one out of the way.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:57 pmAnd there are some when I scream at myself, "It was right there staring you in the face." This was one of those.
I was screaming after getting it around 1:30 am or so last night. Ginger Cat was not amused.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Some weeks, it takes a village. And I'm lucky to be here with such great villagers. Thanks, zoomers!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
JonJonBovi

Post by JonJonBovi »

I have some loose threads but kinda stuck. Anyone interested in working together, send me a message.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Joined the zoom late so I missed most of the discussion, but got a bit of a nudge to spend another hour wrestling this Matt to the mat. SAD indeed, much of what I needed I had already seen, but blew aimlessly past it all… my meta-brain is on holiday too!
Ray
gifo

Post by gifo »

On board after a nudge. Step 2 is SAD indeed.
ChrisKochmanski

ky-mike wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:10 pm I didn't get it on the zoom call, just not as quick on the uptake as others. However, with a little thinking about what was discussed during the call, it came to me. Glad to have that one out of the way.
Same with me. I didn’t get it on the call, only a few minutes later. At my age, the synapses don’t fire as quickly as they once did. 🙂
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it thanks to a nudge from the Discord thread. Concur that SAD is the right descriptor.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up, riding the coattails of the Zoom group today
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
boharr

Post by boharr »

Ditto that^
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beamed up after reading the Discord chat.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beamed up thanks to the muggle hive mind!
Heidi