MGWCC #760 — “Word for Word”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #760 — “Word for Word”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #760 — Saturday, December 24th — “Word for Word”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is something you’ll be if you get the meta.

Two notes:

1)NOTE: Due to the delayed post, the deadline for this meta is Wednesday, December 28th at noon ET.

2) There is no .jpz file this week. Not meta-related! Just not exporting for some weird reason.

Happy and Merry to everyone! Much appreciate to everyone who solves. Some big things coming up for MGWCC for the 15th anniversary in June, so stay tuned and I’ll keep meta-ing if you all do!

Good luck!

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page.
A subscription costs $3/month.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well. That (editor's note: Matt's previous posting re: delayed puzzle) makes the possibility of the Holly Jolly Crossword achievement this year almost impossible.

Which... I suppose is a good thing. It means I have a pretty busy christmas and won't have enough time for this. Better than having utterly nothing but time and isolation on christmas.

EDIT TO AN EDITING: (clarification that it was the delay that made the achievement nigh impossible). Well, that it's a week 4 could also be the reason... but, yeah. Got the grid done. Have maybe a half hour here and there today. No time tomorrow.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm wondering if Matt thought all of us were bad this year.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I'm pretty certain I have the first step. Now where to go from here, I haven't the foggiest. Perhaps it's not too late for Santa to pack a light bulb for me in his sleigh tonight...
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I have step one, and see no sign of step two. I'll keep at it.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Pretty sure I have step one as well. Hoping to submit today. Anyone want to team up? PM me.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

^^^ Ditto
markhr

Post by markhr »

I definitely have step 1, which I thought would lead to a solution. So far, it leads nowhere.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Five solvers as of 11:35 today (Sunday), so I'm guessing step one doesn't get you very far.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I even have what I believe to be two viable iterations of step one. Nothing more.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I’m up for an online group think tank this afternoon if anyone’s planning one!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I even had an idea of what to do with Step One -- a pretty good idea too, one that only a very few people (seven maybe) would think of. But so far it hasn't gotten me anywhere and probably won't.
Jay
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I heard talk of a Zoom tonight but don't have any details. If something is planned, please share! If not, I'm open to jumping on. 8pm Eastern on Zoom?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

edestlin wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:31 pm I heard talk of a Zoom tonight but don't have any details. If something is planned, please share! If not, I'm open to jumping on. 8pm Eastern on Zoom?
8PM Sunday is the regular time for Isaac’s Last Call Zoom. It’s not uncommon for people to stick around after all have got the WSJ to discuss MGWCC. I’m up for that this evening.

While filling the grid, I thought I saw the first step. Then came across something that gave me serious doubts. So still playing with that first idea but without a lot of confidence.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Oops you’re right - it is Sunday! Ok after the WSJ chat - closer to 8:30. Thanks!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I tuned in to the Zoom call for a bit last night but had to leave before the end, would anyone be willing to message me a summary of what I missed?
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

we will be on the road Tuesday evening so ditto on the request for a recap of the Sunday pm zoom catchup, if there was one. Darn these holiday festivities! :lol:

IF ANYONE WANTS TO TRY TO MEET TODAY AT 1:00 PLEASE “LIKE” THIS POST — if enough “likes” I’ll tune into Zoom at 1pm (EST) and see who’s around.
The other Wendy. :roll:
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

:::::feebly:::::

Oy vey.
Last edited by HoldThatThought on Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gifo

Post by gifo »

Seeing the first step, but really stumped on the second...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

HeadinHome wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:18 am we will be on the road Tuesday evening so ditto on the request for a recap of the Sunday pm zoom catchup, if there was one. Darn these holiday festivities! :lol:

IF ANYONE WANTS TO TRY TO MEET TODAY AT 1:00 PLEASE “LIKE” THIS POST — if enough “likes” I’ll tune into Zoom at 1pm (EST) and see who’s around.
Is there something like a standing Zoom that I should link to?

If so, how do I get to the link?

Sorry for my ignorance!