"Jolly Old St. Nick" December 23, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dot

Post by dot »

Ashore! Finished the grid almost immediately after it came out on Thursday. But could not figure out the metanism for three whole days! Thanks to everyone's comments keeping us on the reasonable path. Not sure we agree with the SAD-ness, but it seemed like a "FAD" (familiar and difficult?).

H wants sparkling apple cider, and J will have eggnog (not spiked please).

A fun solve. It has a nice, tight, satisfying answer with a small extra piece to "lock" it so you know you have it when you do.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
H & J
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Merry Christmas everyone!

And for an extra bit of holiday cheer, check out @DrTom’s verse at viewtopic.php?t=1979&start=20#p115580 It’s too good to only be seen by the MEOW solvers!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Merry Christmas to all! I am on shore! My first thought turned out to be the key to solving.....I was just applying it incorrectly. (If you are still stuck, I'm happy to send a nudge that won't give it away.) And, my orchid has 2 blooms on Christmas Day.
20221224orchidsmallest.jpg
Cynthia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

On shore with a nudge. Thank you @Sleepy !
boharr

Post by boharr »

A Muggle Moderator's Christmas
A Muggle Moderator's Christmas
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

boharr wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:38 amIMG_4758.jpeg
Pleased to finally meet you, Bob! Merry Christmas!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

CPJohnson wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:06 am Merry Christmas to all! I am on shore! My first thought turned out to be the key to solving.....I was just applying it incorrectly. (If you are still stuck, I'm happy to send a nudge that won't give it away.) And, my orchid has 2 blooms on Christmas Day.
20221224orchidsmallest.jpg
This post turned out to be all the nudge I needed. I went back to my first thought, thought of yet another way of applying it, and lo and behold, it worked!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

Muggles are working their way to shore with 17 on the ship with Isaac and 126 on the shore.

With Isaac are

whimsy
Diane
JeanneC
Barney
mlvilv
Tom S
Bonnibel
Colin

And on the shore are

escapeartist
Lee-Ann
dot
mbryant
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
HunterX
Notbitter
jrdad
JaneGummy
Nlobb
Drew and Kasia
Sleepy
CPJohnson
ColinM
Barbara K

For those stuck, all you need is a small nudge to get you going in the right direction and then it is pretty straight forward. Options are to ask for a small nudge or come to the 8 pm zoom call tonight.

For those in bad weather which seems to be a lot of muggles, stay safe.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DannyCincinnnati

Post by DannyCincinnnati »

On shore - someone hand me a spiked eggnog!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:00 pm Muggles are working their way to shore with 17 on the ship with Isaac and 126 on the shore.

With Isaac...

And on the shore are...

HunterX...
Thanks for the vote of confidence! However, alas, at this time I am still 25A at sea on the meta, and having too much fun drinking with Isaac and family to know whether inspiration will come before midnight strikes. However, I have not 67A yet.
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

how do i send a pm
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

boharr wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:38 amIMG_4758.jpeg
Bob, so nice to put a face to the name!

On shore!
Cindy Heisler
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

With Isaac and company at the
ship’s bar, and wishing a Merry Christmas to all!
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore. Merry Christmas
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Justmarebear wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:38 pm how do i send a pm
@Justmarebear Go to the top of the page where it says Private Messages. The window for PMs should open up. In the middle click on New PM in red. To add one or more recipients, either type in the screen name (exactly with spaces and such as it is unforgiving) or click Find A Member. From there you can find a member by screen name. When you find the member in the search, check the box in the upper right of the person's name and at the bottom make sure you click "Select Marked"

From there you can add a title and the text. When you are done, you can click Submit at the bottom. Make sure that the system shows that the message has sent. Sometimes I have to scroll down and click Submit again.

There is a way that the system will send you emails when you get a PM. Go under Board Preferences and Edit Global settings.

Good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:41 pm
@Justmarebear Go to the top of the page where it says Private Messages. The window for PMs should open up. In the middle click on New PM in red. To add one or more recipients, either type in the screen name (exactly with spaces and such as it is unforgiving) or click Find A Member. From there you can find a member by screen name. When you find the member in the search, check the box in the upper right of the person's name and at the bottom make sure you click "Select Marked"

From there you can add a title and the text. When you are done, you can click Submit at the bottom. Make sure that the system shows that the message has sent. Sometimes I have to scroll down and click Submit again.

There is a way that the system will send you emails when you get a PM. Go under Board Preferences and Edit Global settings.

Good luck
On computers (that is, not on phones), every post has an icon at top right which will quote the post to an opened PM form addressed to the poster.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

On the ship enjoying Christmas day with Isaac and the family. Not sure if I will have time to dig any further before midnight. Merry Christmas Muggles!
Kevin
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Finally on shore. Pretty straightforward, in retrospect, but a fun present to open nonetheless.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:03 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:41 pm
@Justmarebear Go to the top of the page where it says Private Messages....
On computers (that is, not on phones), every post has an icon at top right which will quote the post to an opened PM form addressed to the poster.
@Justmarebear, while your computer, browser, and browser protection settings may make my comment irrelevant, just be careful you don't use the quote icon, as that will post to the public forum where everyone sees it. That icon is, at least on my computer:

Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 4.28.17 PM.png

Rather, and again this applies to my computer but might not on yours, use the speech bubble under the poster's name:

Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 4.28.06 PM.png
The speech bubble will bring up a small pop-up icon you click to go to your Private Message tab in the User Control Panel, as Bob mentioned, but will quote the post, as Joe mentions.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

At sea. More staring hasn't helped. Thinking is in a rut, but wouldn't submit for a mug if I had a nudge. I'll go to my fav Christmas beer and see if that gets me thinking laterally.