"Jolly Old St. Nick" December 23, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

On shore! Merry Christmas every one!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Yay! Got it ..merry Christmas to all! Can’t wait to try the big puzzle mentioned in post 2…
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 pm Hello Friends! YES, it is I, Wendy Walker, committing an unapologetic Page One Encroachment. The reason for this blatant hypocrisy? I have the pleasure of announcing a Muggle-created puzzle, “Monumental Moderation,” that’s dedicated to our six Forum moderators, Peter Abide, Bob Harris, Brian MacDonald (Webmaster), Joe Ross, Bob Stevens (Cruise Director), and Kay Whitman.

Here’s the official intro from Cap’n Rick, who did a great job masterminding this group effort.
Ahoy Muggles!

We have a special treat for you today! I recently invited 11 of your favorite meta constructors to collaborate on a special tribute puzzle honoring the hard-working Moderators of the "XWord Muggles Forum". The end result is a big honkin' 23x23 grid with 184 grid entries and tons of awesome theme material. And with a puzzle this large created by 12 constructors from around the world, we couldn't stop at just one meta answer. No, no, no, we had to include a second mechanism with a second meta answer as an added bonus. So, sharpen your pencils, grab your highlighters, and block out the entire holiday weekend to tackle our collaborative offering. And remember not to overthink it, because sometimes the answers are hidden in plain sight.

I'd like to thank all of the creative constructors who joined me in this "Monumental" effort: @Al Sisti, @AnswerPfinder, @benchen71, @BirdLives, @cbarbee002, @DrTom, @MarkWoychick, @MikeyG, @Schmeel, @Wendy Walker, and @whimsy. Henceforth, you can call us the "QWERTY Dozen".

The first meta answer is a 9-letter word that you can confirm on Crosshare.
The second meta answer is a two-word phrase consisting of 11 letters that you can confirm via PM.

"
Crosshare: viewtopic.php?p=115303#p115303
PDF: puzzles/20221225-Many%20Muggle%20Meta%2 ... ration.pdf

Good luck, and Happy Holidays!
Cap'n Rick
Got the huge grid done, found step one. Taking a break for now. What a fun project for you all!
Heidi
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Finally…..after husband and others got stuck in the mud at Farmers Market parking lot. He and others got everyone pushed out. I had to wash his shoes. Then one hour ago my Christmas Dinner guest number doubled due to weather issues. I’m called Kitchendiva for a reason. I already have a revised menu!

Merry Christmas! Happy holidays!
Meg

Post by Meg »

A bit late to the party, but on shore. Gotta stop eating those Christmas cookies. The cabana boy says thanks for all the Christmas cards you all have sent him. He’s put them up all over the tiki bar.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Safely on shore!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

ashore4us! This was no Christmas present from Mr. Shenk. But it was very clever and satisfying, as usual!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved and ashore! @Cindy we got a ridiculous amount of rain up here in central Va. too.

Off to attempt Monumental Moderation - what a terrific project!
docison

Post by docison »

Forgot to post earlier, on shore. Both literally and figuratively - in Key West over the holidays. Temperatures will drop over the next few days but still a lot warmer and nicer than Boston!
Kas

Post by Kas »

'Tis the week before Christmas,
And here in my chair,
I've printed the Meta--
Yep, it's right there.
I got some of the grid done,
though I really just started.
(I keep getting distracted,
and now the dog's farted...)
But in viewing the comments,
My feelings of doom
have quite taken hold now--
they've filled up the room!
And then Wendy says,
"Hey guess what, my dears!
Here's a much *bigger* Meta
to wring out your tears!"
I suppose that I'll try it,
though the thought makes me pall
(I'm thinking of Lucy,
Charles Brown, and football...)
Nonetheless, it could be
that I might get it right...
...so Merry Christmas to all,
and to all a good night!

(Happy holidays everybody!) -Kas
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

On the beach and enjoying the holidays.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Pretty sure I have it. Not 100% lock for reasons to be discussed Monday. But will submit as it think it’s correct. Count me ashore.

Stay well all
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Actually I think there’s another small piece that makes it a lock.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Is this "Shifty Schemers" or "Finishing The Story" level SAD? If so I can save myself a lot of time this weekend and stop trying.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore !! Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Not even a remote clue....

Um... does anyone else feel for such a supposedly cheerful theme that this is a rather grim grid? Or is that just me...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Finished the grid, stared at it, made some notes, stared some more. I am very 25A, sorry to say. Will think on it more tomorrow.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
markhr

Post by markhr »

Ashore, egg nog in hand.
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

Ashore, sipping an unintentionally chilled Pinot noir that was left in my car for 10 minutes. -12 here on the Front Range. Quite a difference from the 55 degrees in Louisiana I flew back from this morning! Merry Christmas everyone. Make sure you hug your loved ones extra hard this year.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Very nice. Happy holidays, Mike!

Meanwhile, on “Monumental Moderation”, which truly lives up to the first word in its title, I have the nine-letter word, but I’m still working on the 11-letter phrase. (UPDATE: Got it!)

Thanks greatly to the QWERTY Dozen of Muggles who’ve given us this special holiday treat!
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.