MGWCC #759 - “Bright Idea”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #759 - “Bright Idea”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #759 — Friday, December 16th, 2022 — “Bright Idea”

IMPORTANT NOTE: The 2022 MGWCC Tip Jar is now open! See below for details or click the above link if you don’t need to see the details!

2022 MGWCC TIP JAR:

Feeling extra appreciative of the MGWCC these days? Help me to help you express this appreciation monetarily by leaving some coin in the 2022 MGWCC Tip Jar.

Zero pressure — you already pay me for these, for which I’m greatly thankful — but if you’re so inclined, then by all means, proceed here.

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a seven-letter word.

Dear Solver,

There was an error in the version of MGWCC that I sent out at noon. Please use the new files instead.

Thanks and sorry!

--Matt

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

Matt
docison

Post by docison »

I've submitted and now await the first board update.

ETA: #2! Even found it seconds before Jangler.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Matt just sent out revised .jpz and .pdf files. Does that mean the .puz is OK?
Also, it looks like he is not on Twitter anymore, even tho the link is still on his webpage.
Charles Stevens

Post by Charles Stevens »

Took me a minute, but I got there eventually
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

Katiedid wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:49 pm Matt just sent out revised .jpz and .pdf files. Does that mean the .puz is OK?
Also, it looks like he is not on Twitter anymore, even tho the link is still on his webpage.

i just printed out the revised pdf; i think the error is still there, though.... pretty sure i was able to correct the necessary elements myself to get MG's desired result, but confirmation is always nice, of course.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I finally got it (I think!), and I have my own silliness of "There's no way this will work" to "Oh my goodness, that's what it is" to thank. Another fun one from Matt!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Solved, and on the board. Fun meta.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!
MMe

Post by MMe »

littlepigeon wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:11 pm
Katiedid wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:49 pm Matt just sent out revised .jpz and .pdf files. Does that mean the .puz is OK?

i just printed out the revised pdf; i think the error is still there, though.... pretty sure i was able to correct the necessary elements myself to get MG's desired result, but confirmation is always nice, of course.
Hmm... I think the "error" was just an infelicity. It was puzzling but did not impede solving this 100%er.
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

MMe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:26 pm
littlepigeon wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:11 pm

Hmm... I think the "error" was just an infelicity. It was puzzling but did not impede solving this 100%er.

Not sure I follow the distinction between those two? But I think the sentiment here is shared nonetheless.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Beamed! Fun one.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam-up requested. Other stuff redacted.

#40!
Last edited by Laura M on Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Very cool.
ricky

Post by ricky »

I thought I had this one almost immediately. Submitted confidently. To date, I am the only one of the 43 submitters to get it wrong.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Beamed up. Admittedly, I did compare the two versions of the puzzle that were sent out for a hint, so I could not claim it as a solo solve.

Steven McKinney
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Nice one! Beamed up.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Not my best subject, but I managed to beam up
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

A 1 AM text dragged me out of a dream and into the solution. The text wasn't a nudge, but I'd worked with another previously, so mine wasn't a solo effort.

Awaiting beamage...
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A discussion after the Friday Zoom call sowed the seeds of a successful solve for me later that evening!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got an assist with myriad rabbit holes - turns out there were rabbits lurking in a couple of them - and stumbled, bumbled, fumbled somehow to the finish line... I feel like I missed something along the way, we'll see...
Ray