MGWCC #759 - “Bright Idea”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe

Post by Joe »

I was so close! Then a tiny nudge got me to the transporter room.

I do have a MAJOR, non-meta-related quibble with something that I can share on Tuesday, if I remember. If you're with me, you know what I'm talking about.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
woozy

Post by woozy »

So... the updated PUZ file doesn't work and doesn't open, right? Can anyone tell me what the difference of the updated puzzle was, or would that be a spoiler?

Meanwhile..... I haven't been so dry on a puzzle in a very long time.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 am So... the updated PUZ file doesn't work and doesn't open, right? Can anyone tell me what the difference of the updated puzzle was, or would that be a spoiler?

The updated .puz worked fine for me. And all the files in the third email (or the third post on the Patreon website) should be good.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:09 am
woozy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 am So... the updated PUZ file doesn't work and doesn't open, right? Can anyone tell me what the difference of the updated puzzle was, or would that be a spoiler?

The updated .puz worked fine for me. And all the files in the third email (or the third post on the Patreon website) should be good.
Weird. The third email had the bad PUZ file but the puz file in the first email worked fine. I compared it to the PDF in the third email and I couldn't see any difference between it and the puz file from the first email. What was the correction.

EDIT: Okay, it was some weird open from my browser issue.... But I still don't see the difference of the puzzles. (And still bone dry on the meta).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Submitted and awaiting beamage. 99% certain but youneverknow. I'm surprised, given that there are at least 2 TV show creators that subscribe, that he didn't remove "overrated" from the 11D clue on the subsequent files....
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I've beamed up!
Heidi
markhr

Post by markhr »

Submitted and beamed up. Very elegant puzzle.
I do look forward to Matt’s write-up post-deadline on this one.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

OOOF! Finally got there with some expert gentle nudging from the original Wendy, basically guiding me to stop working and thinking so hard. The real mechanism was way easier than my theory (a theory which worked - sorta - for two of them…). Awaiting beam, and ready to move on to some serious Christmas baking… maybe I’ll post a picture if this current creation rises well and turns out cute!
The other Wendy. :roll:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Still haven't found enlightenment on this meta. But the Sunday New York Times Puzzle section has me quite busy. At least I am solving something.
three

Post by three »

Beamed up with some helped from @BarbaraK! I can’t say I’m a fan of this one, but I’ll wait for Matt’s write up on Tuesday to tell me why I’m wrong ;)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam-up, thanks to nudges from @ChrisKochmanski. Tricky one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Terragon

Post by Terragon »

I think I'm at the nudge stage. I have stared and seen probably what everyone saw and little else.

Edit: definitely at the nudge stage. A nudge would be appreciated.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Presumably you received the nudge you requested.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Have submitted and, under the circumstances, assume I am correct. I did NOT see it until someone gave me a rather large nudge. I had danced around it, but doubt I would have settled into the grove without the help. So I'll take an assisted solve and await my fate with week 4 and 5 (what a way to end a year!). Unlike the puzzle title I'm afraid I am not very bright. :cry:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SpadeDeck

Post by SpadeDeck »

I have a finished grid, but the meta puzzle is eluding me.
I would take a nudge if someone has a nudge to offer.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Finally got it after hints in the Zoom call - thanks all!
HoldThatThought

SpadeDeck wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:31 pm I have a finished grid, but the meta puzzle is eluding me.
Offered via PM. Good luck!
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:56 pm
SpadeDeck wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:31 pm I have a finished grid, but the meta puzzle is eluding me.
Offered via PM. Good luck!
@HoldThatThought Could I please get a nudge as well? I've got nothing so far.
HoldThatThought

Happy to. Hope that helps!