"What Should I Where?" December 16, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Collegetowngirl wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:49 am
Kris Zacharias wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:53 pm On shore. This is an example of puzzles that, if one has been doing them a long time, can be more or less easily solved. I have been participating in the crossword contest from almost the beginning and once I saw the first step, the rest came fairly easily. As a newcomer I doubt if I would have been able to solve it. It's taken a lot of practice!
Thanks Kris. Hubby and can’t even solve the grid this week. First time in many years. And of course the trouble is in what look to us like theme answers. So the meta is waaaay out of reach for us. Count us as with Isaac and looking forward to the d’oh moment tomorrow.
After all my whining — We made it to SHORE!!! Daughter came home for the holidays and helped us through it. Wow. Beautiful puzzle with thrilling results.

Thanks again to Kris and everyone for the encouragement!!!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Stuck at step 1.5 for two days. Then--aha!

When I was a boy, they called me "Franc," which may account for my love of that Cab. That's what I'll have, thancs.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Don't forget tonight's Zoom for Isaac's Last Call.

I'm curious about the people with a grid error that impeded their solve. Hope to hear about those this evening on Zoom and/or tomorrow on the forum.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I put off the puzzle until Sunday again, forgetting we had a wedding to attend. Anyway, it was easier for me this week (compared some previous weeks), so I am ashore. Right under the wire.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore, time for a margarita.
Ksoav

Post by Ksoav »

Ashore in the nick of time!
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

On shore just before the zoom! Loved it.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

This one was a mess for me. I sensed the path but could not make it work. I made the entry error mentioned by several. I totally missed a connection on a clue I had to Google. We celebrated “our turn” with sons and their families on the week before Christmas so perhaps had one too many espresso martinis, lots of laughs, and not enough sleep which may have hindered my effectiveness.

HOWEVER, I am finally on the beach with confirmation that I was on the right path.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

After some serious head-scratching, ashore. A nice one....
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

jt5000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:38 pm Ashore! for the first time ever, (after having lurked for a good while), but only with some help from @DrTom !
Congratulations! And welcome to the forum!

And congrats to @DrTom too! Giving good nudges is like having another puzzle to solve.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

MileHighSolver wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:15 pm Got past my fear of the dreaded parenthetical numbers and quickly made it to shore. I’ll have an Evan Williams eggnog with cinnamon sprinkled on top. I find cinnamon makes the eggnog more drinkable than nutmeg.
Haven't had much time this week to look at the puzzle after solving the grid. I never even noticed the parenthetical numbers until you mentioned them. Just looked again and still I got nuthin'. Will keep trying and hope for post-enlightenment.
kgiano

Post by kgiano »

Made it ashore!
Oxford Comma Mama

Post by Oxford Comma Mama »

Ashore! Enjoying some eggnog :D
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20221216 WSJCC What Should I Where REVEAL.png
WabiSabi

Post by WabiSabi »

Ah, I'd missed the confirmation @13D. Nice!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I have those four words written down on my sheet of paper, didn't make that last "step".

Oh well, there's always next weekend.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Very nice meta! I got the body parts but then went looking for words that were close garments… eg ASCOT / TIE / TEE and ran out of time. What a crazy World Cup Final weekend. What am I going to do now it’s all over? 🤔

https://open.spotify.com/track/4Xfucm4i ... FJRE28ZMqQ
One world. One planet. One future.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

If the shoe fits, where it! I wanted to type that a few days ago, but figured it might be saying too much. And great job to whoever found a way to explain the solution (contest answer) in only 8 lines of text!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I was initially stumped with the result of "shoe" as it's not a part of the body and thought it might be a rabbit hole.

Oh right, Gaffney puzzle, do the thing, then do the thing again.

I never saw the confirmation, which meant doing the thing again.

This was a very satisfying solve - no fist shakes at Gaffney this week! :)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *