"What Should I Where?" December 16, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TheKater

Post by TheKater »

So happy to be ashore after a couple of weeks at sea!
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! Loved this one!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. Just noticed a final elegance that makes this puzzle super extraordinary. Thanks for the Christmas present, Matt!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on the beach. another awesome puzzle from matt.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

Forgot to post a few days ago: Ashore!
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

On shore. I was going to say I find Mr Gaffney's puzzles more accessible than Mr Shenks, but then I took a look at this week's MGWCC.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We have joined the beach party on shore.
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Ashore with some help from @Wendy Walker. I’m happy I was able to get this one started but annoyed at myself for missing the path to the finish. I should’ve known better!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Well, that took way longer than it should have, but I am on shore. Still just a bit early, so I'll just have a second cup of tea.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:53 pm On shore. This is an example of puzzles that, if one has been doing them a long time, can be more or less easily solved. I have been participating in the crossword contest from almost the beginning and once I saw the first step, the rest came fairly easily. As a newcomer I doubt if I would have been able to solve it. It's taken a lot of practice!
Thanks Kris. Hubby and can’t even solve the grid this week. First time in many years. And of course the trouble is in what look to us like theme answers. So the meta is waaaay out of reach for us. Count us as with Isaac and looking forward to the d’oh moment tomorrow.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

I think I'm on the correct beach. Really hard grid. Woke up this morning and saw what I needed to see. Coffee for me now, but après ski hot toddy later...
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:53 pm On shore. This is an example of puzzles that, if one has been doing them a long time, can be more or less easily solved. I have been participating in the crossword contest from almost the beginning and once I saw the first step, the rest came fairly easily. As a newcomer I doubt if I would have been able to solve it. It's taken a lot of practice!
This seems to be the sentiment on a few posts actually. One hour in and absolutely nothing yet except a bunch of rabbit holes. Wish me luck!

I'm only about two years into these (mostly through MGWCC), so if I get it (or even if I don't), I'll respond if I've seen the mechanism before and should have gotten it or if it was a new one on me. I think Matt's dialect on MGWCC might be slightly different than on WSJ - since I've gotten those more readily than on the few I've seen here!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday afternoon muggles

First welcome to our newest muggle - IAmScore71 - always great to have more muggles.

We have 6 on the ship and 199 on the shore.

Emerging from the ship's cabins to Isaac's bar are

Collegetowngirl
MikeyG

While making their way to the shore are
Tom S
ColinM
ErikThor
haydendog
Schmeel
EVJ
Trey and Marion
JaneGummy
EmilyW
relic (and Maggie)
dk letter
Cindy N
norrin2
David K
rexthree
Ben B and son
phofer
Debbie
Ann
sphorning
TheKater
Geezer Weezer
Jarrod
bigtuna
IAmScore71

Good luck with the meta and winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Ashore! Didn’t get to it until this morning - so am happy to be on the beach now!
jt5000

Post by jt5000 »

Ashore! for the first time ever, (after having lurked for a good while), but only with some help from @DrTom !
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Late start this week. Grid was hard for me. Got step one. Now what to do with it?

Happy first night of Hanukkah to all who celebrate!

Update: on shore. I liked this puzzle and I think it’s a good example of how metas work for our newer Muggles!
Last edited by CopperRiver on Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore, two weeks in a row! Not sure if I'm getting smarter or the puzzles are getting. . .

This was another one where I put it aside not wanting to burn my brain, and on second look saw just enough to know I was on a track. If anything, I am learning not to chase rabbit holes.

Again, a very cute solution and answer.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Happy to be ashore! I was late to the party this week, due to actual parties. :)

Coffee, please. I have many more gifts to wrap!

Happiest Holidays and Merry Everything to all in Muggledom!
🌴🍹
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore. Having an Appalachian Mountain Brewing Co. Longleaf IPA. Go Panthers and merry Christmas to all!
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Finally! Ashore with y'all. (Fair amount of despair when we started late Friday and the count was already up to page 10 and we couldn't get anything.)

Echoing @Bonnibel for the happiest of holidays to all the muggles -- please stay safe.