MGWCC #758 - "Name That City"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KayW

MGWCC #758 - "Name That City"

Post by KayW »

MGWCC #757 — Friday, December 9th, 2022 — “Name That City”

Today's puzzle is Week 2 of 5 in December. No This week's contest answer is a four-letter U.S. city. since there are no-instructions solving options this week.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page.
A subscription costs $3/month.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Pretty straight-forward for a week 2. 4 incorrect answers. It looks like some jumped the gun and submitted without working through the metanism.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed up! Easier than last week.
ajk

Post by ajk »

On the board at #7 (I finished the grid and the mechanism before submitting, but I did download it from the Patreon site which I think posted a few minutes before it showed up via email).
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

On board at #12, unusually fast for me. Not the usual delays in getting started, or in stewing over what the mechanism might be.
My email was about 30 minutes after I found the puzzle on the Patreon site.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Waiting to be beamed up

Edit: beamed up, #149
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:59 pm Pretty straight-forward for a week 2. 4 incorrect answers. It looks like some jumped the gun and submitted without working through the metanism.
I'm always worried I will get an idea too prematurely! I tend to ask myself every time, "Am I certain the title, metanism, and the answer all converge?"

I'm actually sending a meta in my Christmas cards this year! We'll see if I have any friends after that.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
donutrobot

Post by donutrobot »

as a gun-jumper (and streak-breaker, sadtrombone) i'm still puzzling over what I should have done after step one other than what I tried, but it certainly wasn't a 100%er answer (which is of course obvious now)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
woozy

Post by woozy »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:59 pm Pretty straight-forward for a week 2. 4 incorrect answers. It looks like some jumped the gun and submitted without working through the metanism.
Umm.... there was a metanism???

Leaderboard updated pretty darn fast. Nice thing about not having a streak is it's okay to submit with its not a 100% which this certainly wasn't (unless there was a metanism.... ).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well THAT took longer than it shoulda. Tidy, clever little softball meta — another great one to give newbies. Awaiting the beam.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joe

Post by Joe »

Safely beamed aboard!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Downs-only, no-prompt, and was bold enough - more like foolish enough - to submit without ever seeing the prompt. Fingers crossed!

(…did have to peek at two across clues for the fill tho)

Edited: Beamed up!
Last edited by rjy on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:08 pm
Umm.... there was a metanism???

Leaderboard updated pretty darn fast. Nice thing about not having a streak is it's okay to submit with its not a 100% which this certainly wasn't (unless there was a metanism.... ).
There is a metanism.

It's a 100% certain answer.

But hey, luck works too:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam up with confidence.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up!!
Cindy Heisler
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Solved without finding the complete metanism, but that is because it is a week 2. Matt made it solveable even if you don't see everything that is going on. Later on I went back and found what I had missed, the 100% certainty part of it.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up. This felt like a week 1. Had the answer before seeing the metanism. (Waited until I saw it before submitting though, which took all of a minute.)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Awaiting beam up. I told Matt, “ Don’t try to kid a kid who has lived in this city! And don’t try to slip “Maine college city” by me in the future either- been there; went to college there…”
Great week 2 IMO🤗