MGWCC #758 - "Name That City"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm.... finding out there actually was a mechanism, I went back to the "I Kid" from April 1 to see if there was a mechanism I had missed in that one. There wasn't.

How often are there metas without mechanisms, do you suppose?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm on the board at # 69. For once, the very first thing that I tried was the correct path, so this seemed easy for a week 2 to me.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

beamed and no need to see confirmation, 110%

figured out what it had to be, then found the mechanism

time to drink (and to get back to the WSJ one which remains ... unsolved by me)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Awaiting the “beam,” but this is a Week 1 and a 100%-er.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Finally looked at this & solved before finishing the meta. Awaiting beamage.

If anyone wishes to create & post their reveal here, Tuesday, noon ET, please do. So far, I'm stumped.
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

Just got beamed up.

I liked this as it was a standard solve. Spent 10-15 min randomly looking at things with a few ideas in my head. Finally thought let's think this through logically. Step 1 popped up in a couple minutes, saw step 2 another 10 minutes later and another 10-15 minutes to the final step. Nice hour spent.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Struggled with the Downs Only. Gave up. Came back yesterday evening, added the Acrosses, and solved it in short order. Top 300 is not exactly jangling, but I'll take it as a moral victory.
Jay
Barney

Post by Barney »

Barney wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:20 am Awaiting the “beam,” but this is a Week 1 and a 100%-er.
134 on the board.

(Personally I never care about the #. For me it’s either ON or OFF.)

This puzzle was way more enjoyable than last week's grid torture chamber.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I've mentioned before that I don't get the bearing of "the number".

Assuming we all started precisely at noon on Friday, I suppose it could be fairly argued that 'the number' offers some hint to the mental acuity of the solver within the community at large. Even then, the relevance would be somewhat specious. Two people started at noon, one was interrupted by a brief phone call, the other, solved undisturbed.... imagine your own scenarios.

I am not a number. I am a free man.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up and happy to have solved both WSJ and Gaffney this week.... No meta angst on Sunday :). Great puzzle. Enjoy the weekend all
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Beamed. Started and solved this morning in about 20 minutes. Light speed for me 🚀
Kevin
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:16 pm I've mentioned before that I don't get the bearing of "the number".

Assuming we all started precisely at noon on Friday, I suppose it could be fairly argued that 'the number' offers some hint to the mental acuity of the solver within the community at large. Even then, the relevance would be somewhat specious. Two people started at noon, one was interrupted by a brief phone call, the other, solved undisturbed.... imagine your own scenarios.

The Prisoner! Nice call-back...
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

One of the most highly anticipated, pleasant, and treasured experiences of my life was three nights staying at the breathtaking resort of Portmeirion, a setting I am confident you will recognize immediately.
Attachments
20221211_192521.jpg
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I've looked at this puzzle half a dozen times since I saw people mention the metanism and I'm baffled. I treated it like a trivia puzzle and Googled a couple things to verify my initial idea; I've been on the board since early Friday afternoon.

And a not really related note, I can't help but wonder if 40A is true if 18A is true as well....
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Wow, I beamed up on Friday and had no idea there was a metanism! After all these comments, I went back and found it. 100% 🤦🏼‍♀️
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:31 pm One of the most highly anticipated, pleasant, and treasured experiences of my life was three nights staying at the breathtaking resort of Portmeirion, a setting I am confident you will recognize immediately.
I own the whole series on DVD. And if you can fully explain the final episode, I doff my hat at you.

Be seeing you....
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

A large part of the meaning can be explained in a clue given every week on The Prisoner, during the opening dialogue between #6 and the new #2, by a simple change of emphasis [do I need to put a spoiler tag on something that is over 50 years old?]:

Number Six: Who are you?
Number Two: The new Number Two.
Number Six: Who is Number One?
Number Two: You are Number Six.
Number Six: I am not a number; I AM A FREE MAN!
Number Two: [laughter]

Read it this way:

Number Six: Who is Number One?
Number Two: YOU ARE, Number Six.

and you have the genesis of the final episode. It was however, an over-the-top, crazy episode.

How fortunate that HoldThatThought got to visit Portmeirion! Must be spectacular.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I'm standing in for Joe today who has a more than a full schedule. The answer to the MG#758 "Name That City" puzzle was NAPA and you arrived at it as shown below:

MGWCC 758 Reveal.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:15 pm
HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:16 pm I've mentioned before that I don't get the bearing of "the number".

The Prisoner! Nice call-back...
So, that would mean you are Number 6....I'd take that any day.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!