"In Formation, Please" - December 9, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

FYI, I’m ASHORE, thanks to a lot of incoming information from a Muggle friend.
WOWZERS Mike!!

Another friend, EMILY, thought I should POST this information for your next dinner party
AA5E8F88-C84E-405D-BE7F-B8C3BD920F34.jpeg
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Looks like I'll take the L this week. Once again Mike Shenk's "easier" offering is my undoing.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Made it to shore with a little help

Thanks @Wendy Walker for covering for me
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Okay, have NOT solved the WSJ meta, but I have been a bit busy with grandchild #3 (first granddaughter). Meet lovely Thea!
Attachments
3 grandkids.jpg
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:31 am Okay, have NOT solved the WSJ meta, but I have been a bit busy with grandchild #3 (first granddaughter). Meet lovely Thea!
Beautiful!! We are also expecting a new little Thea on December 20. My kids are pronouncing it THAY-A. How are your kids pronouncing her name?
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh my gosh, I finally got it.

I'm going to say that was probably one of the hardest ones I've ever seen in four years.

.... okay maybe that's not true. But after all the people saying it was easy, someone has to say it was hard. And it was dang hard.

... And, no, there was no "There it was" moment. I had to pursue seek and try *everything* many times and when I saw what eventually turned out to be it I had to knead and work it with great effort it pull it out.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Somehow, I'm ashore relatively quickly, but I have no idea how. It just kind of happened.

Time for a constructive Sunday.

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

So crazy. I just picked it up after more than 24 hours of not looking at it and got it in less than a minute. Ironically I had actually thought to do this while completing the grid on Thursday but forgot and went down another rabbit hole for more time than I care to admit. Was then distracted with family event until just now.

Very clever and fun Mike.

Stay well all

Scott
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore! I don't spend much time on these after I first caught the bug and wasted some hours on a couple. But I gave this one a second chance today; something about it told me that it was right there in front of me. And there it was. Very cute puzzle, nice shot of dopamine.
Acarl

Post by Acarl »

Thank you woozy and Barbara K for gentle nudges. Cmon man, this was not easy!
Tough swim, especially with right arm in a cast. Head on with drunk driver. Solving the meta, even with help, Makes everything feel better.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Onshore, grateful for one that was relatively easy for me.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

ASHORE! This was so hard but finally got it.
Tried everything else over the last few days.
Uffda.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Still on the ship after I thought I had the three formations.
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

Solved - I looked and looked, said one thing, and then my solving buddy got there in two minutes. So I'm calling it a team effort :)
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Acarl wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:39 pm Thank you woozy and Barbara K for gentle nudges. Cmon man, this was not easy!
Tough swim, especially with right arm in a cast. Head on with drunk driver. Solving the meta, even with help, Makes everything feel better.
So sorry - and angry! - that happened to you, but relieved you are still here to tell the tale. And to solve a meta, even!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
JJD

Post by JJD »

I starting swim in a vague direction of the shore and then finally saw the real shoreline. It still took some convincing myself this was the right place until I touched the sand and felt confident.
Ashore.

(Wow, my finger tips are really wrinkly after swimming in circles for weeks!)
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Boy that took a long time to solve.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Acarl wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:39 pm Thank you woozy and Barbara K for gentle nudges. Cmon man, this was not easy!
I am so sorry to hear this! And I'm glad solving has helped with your recovery! Holding you in the light.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On shore. Had the mechanism on Thursday but made it way too complicated. Glad to be back with you all! I liked this puzzle.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

woozy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:34 am Oh my gosh, I finally got it.

I'm going to say that was probably one of the hardest ones I've ever seen in four years.

.... okay maybe that's not true. But after all the people saying it was easy, someone has to say it was hard. And it was dang hard.

... And, no, there was no "There it was" moment. I had to pursue seek and try *everything* many times and when I saw what eventually turned out to be it I had to knead and work it with great effort it pull it out.
That makes me feel a bit better. No complaints though as I have an ocean view from my room at Mauna Kea and all the MaiTais I could ever want.
🌴🍹