MEOW #106: Unhappy Endings

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, only three more people released the cat:

29 LindaPRmaven
30 Ergcat
31 BarbaraK

I think this one may be done, but of course I'll keep it open until Tuesday.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I needed all nudges in order to be pushed off this couch.
Maybe I should have have known it if I had really thought about it a bit more, but in this case the Atlantic, and the cultural distance it causes, got in the way.
Thanks for the puzzle!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sunday Update

32 markhr
33 Schmeel
34 Bird Lives
35 Tyler Johnston
36 SeamusOL
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Schmeel wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:36 am I needed all nudges in order to be pushed off this couch.
Maybe I should have have known it if I had really thought about it a bit more, but in this case the Atlantic, and the cultural distance it causes, got in the way.
Thanks for the puzzle!
Yeah I guess this might lose a bit in translation to a different area - sorry about that :(
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'll see if I can crack the meta today! I was looking at the finished grid, and I was like, "What in the world is an AYE ARAGO???"

That just shows you I need to up my coffee intake, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:36 am I'll see if I can crack the meta today! I was looking at the finished grid, and I was like, "What in the world is an AYE ARAGO???"

Obviously the affirmative answer given aboard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Arago_(1855). That response was given 365 days in the past....
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

DrTom wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:26 pm
MikeyG wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:36 am I'll see if I can crack the meta today! I was looking at the finished grid, and I was like, "What in the world is an AYE ARAGO???"

Obviously the affirmative answer given aboard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Arago_(1855). That response was given 365 days in the past....
This nugget, and the first nudge, helped me get my cat out of the bag!!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I cannot complain, 39 intrepid individuals managed to release this very bellicose cat who, though caught unaware, was obviously defending purr(l) harbor from inside that sack:

1 edestlin
2 Dave C
3 boharr
4 Darth
5 whimsy
6 Hector
7 Meg
8 Cindy Weatherman
9 ChrisKochmanski
10 dplass
11 KayW
12 Cindy Heisler
13 lbray
14 rjy
15 woozy
16 benchen71
17 Dow Jones
18 Lance
19 Mwoychick
20 DIS
21 MatthewL
22 CPJohnson
23 ajk
24 Mr Tex
25 SJMck
26 ReB
27 Teamdouble tow
28 Sharkicicles
29 LindaPRmaven
30 Ergcat
31 BarbaraK
32 markhr
33 Schmeel
34 Bird Lives
35 Tyler Johnston
36 SeamusOL
37 Johnny Luau
38 Mikey G
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, reminder for some, and maybe history lesson for others? Nobody from my generation would, or can, forget the first time the US was attacked by a foreign power, December 7th 1941. Even though I would not make an appearance for another 7 years, I learned about and commemorated that day every year (my Dad was career Navy so it was especially poignant). Therefore when the MEOW fell on Dec 7th I could not resist.

I hoped that you all would get the numerous war related clues and then put together that Unhappy Endings meant both the result of the day AND the last letter in the answer. If you did (and 39 of you managed) then you got INFAMOUS, an entirely apt description for a day of the week (well that day for sure).

Thanks for all who solved and all of the kind words. The feedback I got was definitely in favor of holiday puzzles. This week you'll be treated to another entertaining meta by Mark Woychick and then I'LL BE BACK (the Tominator) on the 21st and, assuming his schooling demands are not overwhelming, a real Josh puzzle the 28th.

In the meantime here is the solution to Unhappy Endings;
Unhappy Endings reveal graphic.jpg
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Nicely done puzzle, Dr. Tom!
Seattle DB