The One That Got Away

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

My bum’s off the couch, my comments on Crosshare, and my kudos to @Cap’n Rick!!
The other Wendy. :roll:
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Grid done but still on couch. This one is elegant! I just need to feel my way a teeny bit more and then…off I’ll go!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm still chasing down some very deep and enticing rabbit holes. Fun puzzle though I made need the Hump Day nudges
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp:

Tricky but so much fun. Thanks, Rick!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Got a couple of nudges and still stuck. Will wait for nudgeday
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Off the couch - great puzzle, @Cap'n Rick - very satisfying solve once I finally saw what I needed to do. Thanks for the puzzle!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Leaderboard Update

Eight more Muggles bring our solver total to 35:

lbray53
HeadinHome
Dannyvee
Dave C
KayW
Bob cruise director
Carolyn
Mark Woychick

Wednesday Nudges

Okay, here we go! Hope these nudges get a few more of you off the couch!

One of the fun things about fishing is that you never know exactly when or where one may get away from you.

For this meta, the one getting away isn't a fish but rather a series of letters.

The letters "ONE" have gotten away from 7 symmetrically-located grid entries.

With the "ONEs" back in place (Note: can be anywhere within the 7 grid entries), the 7 new words/phrases now fit clues to other entries.

The first letters of those 7 other entries, in grid order, spell the final answer.
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged off the couch. Very good meta and grid. Well done, Cap'n Rick.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Late start on metas this week, but I am now off the couch. Solved without nudges. Thanks for the fun meta, Cap'n.
Cindy Heisler
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Never gonna happen. Thanks for the puzzle though.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Very challenging for us... We were on the right path before the nudges but needed them to encourage us to continue on the path. We still have it harder on ourselves by continuing to ignore 1 nudge. 🙄. Thanks for this excellent puzzle!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Darth

Post by Darth »

OTC! Thanks, Cap'n!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

It took the third nudge, but I'm finally off the couch. :roll: Thanks for another great grid and meta, Cap'n Rick!
Sara
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Got it just before the nudges posted. Geez, am I proud of myself!🤗
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Many thanks to @DrTom for the nudge last night before the zoom call started which was before we had discussions on plumbing, depositions, cars and ultimately metas.

The result was that I am off the couch
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Nudged off the couch! What a great puzzle. Kicking myself that I had guessed at the mechanism but applied it incorrectly. Thanks Cap'n Rick
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it after nudge 3, even though I was already doing the thing suggested by the nudges. But the third one focused me enough to see a slight tweak on exactly how I was doing it, and that unlocked things. Fun puzzle, thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Nudged OTC!
I really really liked this@Cap'n Rick ❤️
Now out to sit on my sunporch and wait for the sun to come out… and admire this whale who isn’t gonna get away. Nor eat any more octopi whole…
61B954F6-504F-4DCC-8B0C-73126F1CAFDB.jpeg
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dplass wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:11 am Never gonna happen. Thanks for the puzzle though.
You really should give it a try.

The solve is really enjoyable. Even if you just go through the nudges and do them its... fun. Two are hard though. But one was a real delightful surprise

and.....Nudge 3! Symmetric!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:30 pm
Dplass wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:11 am Never gonna happen. Thanks for the puzzle though.
You really should give it a try.

The solve is really enjoyable. Even if you just go through the nudges and do them its... fun. Two are hard though. But one was a real delightful surprise

and.....Nudge 3! Symmetric!
Yes yes but tomorrow is WSJ day and I've been working on (read: obsessing) on another month long coding challenge...something's got to give and this month it's metas.