MGWCC #756 - “Consonantal Drift”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
gppasco

Post by gppasco »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:13 pm
boharr wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:11 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:22 pm

Hey, if you've got 46/47 solves this year and a streak of 1, does that mean he didn't count your meta last week as a solve?
I knew it. I knew it. I posed that question to @MikeyG
Assuming I have a solid December, and that's absolutely not a guarantee, I'll take 51 + 1 guest puzzle any year.

I actually get to breathe a sigh of relief as I build again, and I'm pretty sure all former guest appearances by people who also solve on the regular (Paolo and Will come to mind) do begin a streak anew.
Can confirm—I asked Matt if I could submit for my week and he said not to, which really threw a wrench in the one week I knew I could beat e.a. to the leaderboard
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

With some help -- mostly big strikethroughs on all my mistaken ideas leaving the good ideas untouched --- I am beamed up. I think. No leaderboard updates since yesterday at 5:47 pm. I actually found Step Two before Step One, which took me down a couple of wrong paths.
Jay
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:25 am With some help -- mostly big strikethroughs on all my mistaken ideas leaving the good ideas untouched --- I am beamed up. I think. No leaderboard updates since yesterday at 5:47 pm. I actually found Step Two before Step One, which took me down a couple of wrong paths.
Indeed!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Still very much whatever the opposite of beamed up is... But determined to get this one by tomorrow's deadline!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Definitely not my fav.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up.
Cindy Heisler
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Got it (with some kind nudges)! But the website says submissions are now closed... I thought we had till Wednesday this week. Oh, well.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

schmidzy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:09 pm Got it (with some kind nudges)! But the website says submissions are now closed... I thought we had till Wednesday this week. Oh, well.
The deadline is noon tomorrow.

Sometimes the website is flaky. You could try to submit again and see if it says you’ve already submitted. Or just email Matt and he’ll take care of it.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

schmidzy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:09 pm Got it (with some kind nudges)! But the website says submissions are now closed... I thought we had till Wednesday this week. Oh, well.
The site is pre-programmed to close at noon, Tuesdays.

You can always email @MattGaffney with your answer on crosswordcontest@gmail.com .
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Thanks, everyone. I'll wait for the next leaderboard update and then email him if it's still not there!
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:25 am I actually found Step Two before Step One, which took me down a couple of wrong paths.
I’m very curious to know how this is possible, unless your step two is my step one. I saw (my) step one almost immediately, but then spent a couple of days trying various things that didn’t work—until suddenly something that had bothered me from the beginning revealed itself as part of step two.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:19 pm
The site is pre-programmed to close at noon, Tuesdays.

You can always email @MattGaffney with your answer on crosswordcontest@gmail.com .
I just loaded my entry, and noticed that he updated it at 8:21, of course I missed that update and will need to wait for the next. But the last entry was 11/29 at 7:12pm

You might go back and check if you're up there.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:25 am With some help -- mostly big strikethroughs on all my mistaken ideas leaving the good ideas untouched --- I am beamed up. I think. No leaderboard updates since yesterday at 5:47 pm. I actually found Step Two before Step One, which took me down a couple of wrong paths.
OK, that one is going to take some "splainin" on a Muggle Zoom or a post-closing posting. :? I mean the wrong paths I understand ALL too well, but the reverse order not so much.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

If anyone is available to give an 11th hour nudge, please message me, and I'll reply with what I've tried so far! Thank you in advance!

Edit: Thank you to the kind muggles who reached out! Making headway . . . I think :) I appreciate all of you!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20222-1123-WSJCC Showtime reveal.png
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

This one did it in for me. I stopped subscribing to MGWCC. It is not worth my time and effort (or even $3) to wrack my brain on something I will never get. I get so few week 3/4/5 puzzles it is just not worth it.
So I guess I am saying HMMPH after all.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

How about that...I never got past the 2 all-consonant entries that were symmetrically placed in the corners and trying to make them "drift" in some fashion...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I really enjoyed this one! The perfect Kas 3 viewtopic.php?t=35 that left me very pleased with myself once I figured it out.

The Sudafed for headaches clue struck me while filling the grid. Yeah, I guess maybe Sudafed could ease a headache if it’s caused by sinus congestion, but it’s far down the list of what I consider headache treatments. “Colds” is a five letter word for what Sudafed mainly eases. Likewise, botulin is more noted as a “toxin” than a protein. Needless to say, I didn’t get much further with that approach, but it did leave those two readily in mind when I did eventually notice the 5 all vowel entries.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:32 pm The Sudafed for headaches clue struck me while filling the grid. Yeah, I guess maybe Sudafed could ease a headache if it’s caused by sinus congestion, but it’s far down the list of what I consider headache treatments. “Colds” is a five letter word for what Sudafed mainly eases. Likewise, botulin is more noted as a “toxin” than a protein. Needless to say, I didn’t get much further with that approach, but it did leave those two readily in mind when I did eventually notice the 5 all vowel entries.
I saw the five all-vowel entries quickly, then couldn't get anything to work. But the weird Sudafed clue kept nagging at me (like a headache?) until I suddenly noticed it had the vowels UAE and I was off to the races! I completely missed the AEIOU order though, and wasn't completely satisfied with just anagramming HMMPH.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Thanksgiving with family last Thursday. Grid done and wondering where to start. My brother, who doesn't do many crosswords, noted that there were 5 vowel-only grid entries. That was all that I needed to move forward. Had the answer about 10 minutes later. Sometimes it jumps out at me and other times I need that observation from my wife (or brother) to get started.