MGWCC #756 - “Consonantal Drift”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:13 pm Does anyone know the MGWCC Discord channel? I'd like to be involved if time zones allow!
Already closed and deleted. Not that I've been able to figure out what anyone has been talking about in previous ones, but oh well....
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

I got help, but the experience was still very satisfying.

Thanks, Matt!
lisajoy

Post by lisajoy »

hi y'all! new to MGWCC, but not to Muggles. :)

If I have mastered the terminology, I have submitted my answer and am waiting to be beamed up! ;-)

EDIT: beamed!
Last edited by lisajoy on Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed yesterday
donutrobot

Post by donutrobot »

got there but it was painful. thanks to my nudgegiver for the assist
baskin98

Post by baskin98 »

So…have logical steps, have an answer, have doubts. Anyone willing to confirm before I submit?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A wonderful group solve with @Joe Ross, @KayW, @Bob cruise director, @FKelly, and @Jade. Synergy at its best!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:04 pm A wonderful group solve with @Joe Ross, @KayW, @Bob cruise director, @FKelly, and @Jade. Synergy at its best!
That was fun!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Fully acknowledging a lot of help from a "funky" compadre I'll declare a beam up to the mother ship. If I am being honest I do not find this the most satisfying of MG metas, but that is probably like saying it is my least favorite meal at Per Se. Now, full disclosure, I have never eaten there but I have eater=n at a Thomas Keller restaurant and based on that...repeat the above.

In at 78 - which is VERY good for me.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:04 pm A wonderful group solve with @Joe Ross, @KayW, @Bob cruise director, @FKelly, and @Jade. Synergy at its best!
I was merely taking notes as you & Kay solved it.
rjy

Post by rjy »

With a rabbit-hole pruning nudge, I’m starting a new streak after being off a couple weeks. On my way to 245!
Ray
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:32 pm
I was merely taking notes as you & Kay solved it.
Untrue! Absolutely everyone on the Zoom call contributed mightily!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

That was hideously difficult. I am not knocking the puzzle in any way by saying that. I'm in awe of its creation & of those freakily intelligent folk who solved it in mere minutes. WELL DONE!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Sorry I missed the group solve, but found my way to the beam-up spot alone. (At least I think so - will know after the next update, but quite confident.)

It was not the first thing I tried, or the second, or the third,...

Some stuff that I'd thought must be relevant turned out to be so, but not in the way I'd assumed.

I have two comments about non-meta things, but to avoid any trace of spoilage, I will be good and wait until Wednesday.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:39 pm Sorry I missed the group solve, but found my way to the beam-up spot alone. (At least I think so - will know after the next update, but quite confident.)

It was not the first thing I tried, or the second, or the third,...

Some stuff that I'd thought must be relevant turned out to be so, but not in the way I'd assumed.

I have two comments about non-meta things, but to avoid any trace of spoilage, I will be good and wait until Wednesday.
How about comments on meta things...or have you never meta thing you didn't like? :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:06 am How about comments on meta things...or have you never meta thing you didn't like? :D
Never meta meta I didn’t like. (Well maybe one or two.) How about never meta muggle I didn’t like. That’s the winner!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Needed nudging to find my way but I finally beamed up. Phew!
Terragon

Post by Terragon »

Got it! My first week 4!!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

With a small nudge I've beamed up! Thanks to all who contributed!
Heidi
bflock

Post by bflock »

Would love a nudge if anyone would be willing. Have been staring at this one without a good foothold for a couple of days.