"Showtime" November 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

At the ship's bar and likely to be here for the duration.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Grover

Post by Grover »

On shore. Very clever construction!
sjm

Post by sjm »

Ashore - with a thanks to Joe for the gentle nudge.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

And ashore, with a helpful nudge (and a pull back out of the rabbit hole!). Speaking of rabbit holes, I will definitely have one to submit this week!
arecibo

Post by arecibo »

Ashore. An insidious puzzle. The realization is more like the Sun's rising at dawn than a light bulb's turning on.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:41 pm
Streroto wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:34 pm ImageWell once I got off the literal beach and devoted some time to it I was able to get to the figurative shore while still waiting to board. Super cool one from Mike! Loved it.

At the risk of boring you all I will add one more snorkeling pic. This is a miniature melo and it’s about a half inch long. In 25 years of shoemaking on St John I have never found one. So cool.
@Streroto - we are not bored. On the Tuesday zoom we were talking about the challenges of underwater photography. Great images and keep them comming.

Shoemaking? I am pretty sure that your snorkeling got changed to shoemaking.
Ha well I messed that up several ways didn’t I? Yes snorkeling and sorry for the duplicate eagle ray. Would love to have participated. Note these are all shot with an Olympus Tough TG6. Nothing fancy and hands down the best underwater point and shoot out there. I have several SLRs but have not taken the plunge (pardon the bad pun) into housings for those

Almost home now. Stay well all.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Ashore with the help of a nudge. Great metanism, very irritated with myself. Was in the right vicinity but didn't follow through properly. Here's to next week!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On the beach with just hours to spare.

What an absolutely satisfying solve this week’s puzzle doled out - wowzers!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Inca

Post by Inca »

I'm part of the 10% or so on the ship. I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now but I look at the puzzle and all I see is a nicely filled grid....absolutely nothing popping out to me
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Inca wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:53 pm I'm part of the 10% or so on the ship. I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now but I look at the puzzle and all I see is a nicely filled grid....absolutely nothing popping out to me
Don't feel dumb -- right there with you. I see absolutely nothing.
Matthew
arecibo

Post by arecibo »

MatthewL wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:55 pm
Inca wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:53 pm I'm part of the 10% or so on the ship. I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now but I look at the puzzle and all I see is a nicely filled grid....absolutely nothing popping out to me
Don't feel dumb -- right there with you. I see absolutely nothing.
It's not you, it's that kind of puzzle. As many have remarked, something is attempted before something is expected.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore!
Thanks to WLW for confirming I was on the right track.
Just needed to hybridize the the two hints to get the mechanism just right.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally ashore thanks to a nudge from@CPJohnson .
Cindy Heisler
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count has 13 on the ship and 142 on the shore. A very challenging meta from Mike Shenk

My wife has said that Mike has upped his game so if you used to get Mike's easily and now you struggle, you are not alone.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore visiting a new grandson and his big brother in Colorado, having flown here from Pennsylvania. Had no chance to do the puzzle until today and had the sudden realization that I had two hours less time. Luckily I saw the mechanism fairly quickly……
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

On shore... Fun construction. It will be interesting to see how crowded the beach is this week.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

Late holiday weekend start but on shore.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Just took one more quick look before closing up shop and reaching for the mint Isaac left on my pillow. (The guy does everything aboard this ship!)

I'm at my workspace in my well-appointed cabin with lovely decorations and furnishings, but for some reason I just haven't been able to make much headway....

bunnydesk.png
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

You can get this one!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Still at sea.