"Equivocation" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Equivocation" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? This puzzle is titled "Equivocation". Now, I might be using the word incorrectly; but I'm just following Shakespeare's example, so hopefully you'll get the idea. If you can see through the fog and filthy air, you should arrive at the answer to the meta which is a Beatles song.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Equivocation - Online Form
Equivocation - PUZ
Equivocation - PDF
Equivocation - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Castle stormed, back over to Mikey’s MGWCC now (amidst lots of Thanksgiving prep!). Good one, Ben!
Ray
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Crossed the MOAT! Fun one.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Crossed it like croquet. Thanks, Ben!
download (9).jpg
[GH & JL at Dromoland Castle, Ireland 1964]
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: Another one where the grid was tougher than the meta, but always happy to expand my vocabulary. Always love a Beatles :ear: :bug: Thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I asked three of my students last week to name a Beatle. None could. (I did not accept "John Elton.")
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

I believe I'm across the moat, but I guess we shall see.
Matthew
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:12 pm I asked three of my students last week to name a Beatle. None could. (I did not accept "John Elton.")
Similarly, Lynne and I were wondering, “Could either or both of our boys, ages 36 and 33, or their wives, name all four Beatles?” Maybe, but we don’t know. We’ll ask over the holidays.

Crossed! Stormed!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:12 pm I asked three of my students last week to name a Beatle. None could. (I did not accept "John Elton.")
Now that I think about it, John Elton did “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”, correct? (Does anyone remember that remake?)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're still a few hours off the first 24 hour mark, but here's the first batch of successful solvers:

Hector
Tom Wilson
Laura M
rjy
lbray53
Darth
oldjudge
boharr
LesY
KayW
DIS
woozy
Tyrpmom
markhr
Johnny Luau
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
MatthewL
dplass
Mikey G
ChrisKochmanski
DebbieC
Darrell

That's 23 to get us started!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Just crossed the moat after a late start.
hoover

Post by hoover »

No clue. I'll wait for Nudge Friday.
ReB

Post by ReB »

One of my fastest moat crossings yet. Good thing too considering how busy things are about to become...
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledeyeofnewt.png
Eye of newt or crossing moat...
...all in a day's work....

Thanks for another fun one, Ben!
Jade

Post by Jade »

Crossed the moat, a fun one!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Crossed the moat. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone !!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Let it sit for a day after filling in the grid and finally saw the path across the Moat...thanks Ben. Always happy to learn new things from your cluing (like 26A). :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Taking this with me on our trip to our relatives house...with any luck I will not be the plot line of a Shakespearian tragedy for trying to solve while visiting! I can hear my relatives yelling "Out, Out Damn Snot!" (Ben if you can use VOMIT I can use SNOT)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Haven't done the grid yet, and you all know I HAVE to do the grid first, but I am both a Macbeth and a Beatles fan. I actually was in Macbeth in college, lofty but short role...I was Duncan so by Act I, Scene 6 I was toast...the only really notable thing about my performance was the tag inside the robe I was to wear, it had "Lee J. Cobb" on it (I removed and kept it to this day). I'd always like to think it was from his portrayal of Lear. Anyway (sorry for the DrTom segue) I believe I know the answer already - hmm

"What bloodied meta solver is that? He can report of the solve, as seemeth by his plight, the newest state."
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I have crossed the moat.
I just got confirmation.
Happy to be here!