MEOW #104 Top Down Shout Out

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

whimsy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:57 pm And reveal will be posted Tuesday, just in time to clear the deck for the next MEOW on, uh.... Wednesday!
... except there won't be a MEOW next week as a result of Thanksgiving.
There will be a MOAT, though, since we Aussies don't celebrate that particular holiday! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

We have solvers!
Untitledtdso.png
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:01 pm
whimsy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:57 pm And reveal will be posted Tuesday, just in time to clear the deck for the next MEOW on, uh.... Wednesday!
... except there won't be a MEOW next week as a result of Thanksgiving.
There will be a MOAT, though, since we Aussies don't celebrate that particular holiday! :D
Duh! :roll:
Right you are, Ben!
Thanks!

(But in general, that's the modus operandi.)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Servings of nudges --

The title, combined with the picture, is somewhat deviously :twisted: misdirecting.

Although the first half of the title is a hint to the mechanism --

-- and the second half is a meta answer suggestion/confirmation.

There are not precisely any theme entries the way we usually think of them.

(Or maybe you could think of them as about 65 theme entries.)

There's just one step to finding the meta -- noticing something about the grid. There are no other steps involving any sort of number/letter code.

On second thought, maybe the picture is a hint -- if you want to think of those cats as "Thelma" and "Louise" on their way to a fun evening at a church hall. :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out, thanks to that last nudge!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Darth

Post by Darth »

Cat is free and in its happy place! ;)
IMG-20210130-WA0015-1024x1024.jpg
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

And Kewpie dolls for a few more --

benchen71
Darth
sharkicicles
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Wish me luck getting that cat out of the bag after work tonight! I think she's running low on crunchies!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Cat is out of the bag! I noticed something, and I think I get the metanism, but I will now go and see the nudges. What I saw was too glaring to be coincidental.

@whimsy, your grids always make me smile, and that's much needed in this day and age. Thank you!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Gutman
Tom Wilson
MikeyG (aka Man of the Hour)

are all Winners!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

The cat is finally out after being nudged...
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

And

Dave C

Has joined the ranks of those shouting out "_______!"

(Reveal a bit later this afternoon...)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledrevealtdsowcat.png

Many thanks go out to @KayW for providing the great grid for the reveal --
And it's good to see that (at least one of) our convertible cats made it to the bingo hall.

This may not have been to some folks' tastes since the answer was somewhat "squishy" rather than precisely derived from themer letters.
(And probably not a great week for me to have offered a "squishy" puzzle. :lol: )

The multitude of the B's in the top three rows followed by the same for the other 4 letters pointed toward a word read from the Top Down that you might Shout Out.

At first I asked myself what would be a good amount of "key" letters to put in the puzzle. What would be too many, making it too obvious; and what would be not enough to recognize the pattern? It turned out not to really matter since I felt lucky in the end just to get enough in the grid! (And some of those were of course the usual "inventive" entries, I'll be the first to admit!) For those who like numbers, the key letters on average comprised a bit over 25% of the total number of letters in the grid.

When I first had the thought about the puzzle I was thinking -- "Oh, this'll be easy." Ha!
I had too, the thought of using some sort of number/letter code (and I think some solvers may have been looking for another step in the mechanism involving that) but it doesn't really lend itself to that. I know the basics of the game but I found out more precisely that:

The columns are labeled "B" (numbers 1–15), "I" (numbers 16–30), "N" (numbers 31–45), "G" (numbers 46–60), and "O" (numbers 61–75).

I did try to stick to having the B's, I's etc. stay within their range but there are several "outliers" since I decided the "chunk" look of the three rows would be a better visual hint toward the answer.

I think too that this is a type of puzzle that can be easier or harder to see depending on how a brain might be wired to see patterns.

Kay had an interesting line in the note that she sent when sharing the grid --
I mean, it was impossible for me to ignore that swarm of B's as I started the grid. I immediately sensed something there, and then... they all disappeared.
I think that may have been just what I was trying to achieve as I constructed the puzzle.

Thank you all for playing Bingo!

REMINDER: No MEOW tomorrow but please check back next week!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Pshaw, it was EASY for me to "ignore that swarm of B's" -- some things I just cannot see....
woozy

Post by woozy »

I saw the swarm of Bs but none of the others.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I saw the Bs and was getting ready to ask for a nudge and explain that that’s all I’d noticed when I decided I should pull up https://boisvert42.github.io/mechapuzzle/ and check for any other clusters first.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:26 pm I saw the Bs and was getting ready to ask for a nudge and explain that that’s all I’d noticed when I decided I should pull up https://boisvert42.github.io/mechapuzzle/ and check for any other clusters first.
Wow, I may have to use that! Thanks!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I was fixated on the vowels… 😳

E519DB32-0FC5-46F2-9B3B-3C8855960401.jpeg
The other Wendy. :roll:
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

TY, (David ?) Dplass
I'm new to MEOW, so I'm still figuring things out.
Seattle DB
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Dplass wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:00 pm
dsbened wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:54 pm When is the solution and the meta going to be posted?
Usually Tuesday ish
TY, Dplass, I'm new here so I'm still trying to figure things out.
Seattle DB