42. These Puns Go to Eleven

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

---

Just read the blog, haha. Here's the picture graphic, at least!

1. Puzzle #41 recap

Puzzle #41 answer: KIT KAT

Correct entries: 31

---

The 11-letter answer to the meta is a word that describes how I write my clues.

The deadline is Monday, November 21 at 1 PM ET.

---

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Meg

Post by Meg »

Nicely done, Mikey G!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Fun (short) puzzle… short for at least two good reasons I can think of. Highly recommend for a nice Saturday solve. Thanks, Mikey!
The other Wendy. :roll:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Fun one. Thanks, Mikey.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Stare... stare... stare.... SOLVE! I love when that happens. Thanks for another fun one. 38D really cracked me up.

I came across this book cover while looking for a funny image to post:

It bothered me that there are only ten cats - smiling enigmatically - on the cover (she typed, after re-counting for the fifth time). Is that picture a plot spoiler? Are they the ten not-quite-as-hungry cats?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Just saw this one on the puzzle email. Mikey—why not compile an email list and send out a mass email when a new puzzle is posted. Fun puzzle though, glad I found it.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cool!

Thanks, Mikey!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Really dialed it up this time, Mikey!
Thanks for a fun puzzle!
Untitleddials.png
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:54 pm Just saw this one on the puzzle email. Mikey—why not compile an email list and send out a mass email when a new puzzle is posted. Fun puzzle though, glad I found it.
Yeah, I think what happened is the support for the e-mail via the blog got discontinued a few months back. I might try to craft something, using the Summer of Solves as a template.

Thanks for finding and solving, though!!

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

KayW wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:37 pm Stare... stare... stare.... SOLVE! I love when that happens. Thanks for another fun one. 38D really cracked me up.

I came across this book cover while looking for a funny image to post:

It bothered me that there are only ten cats - smiling enigmatically - on the cover (she typed, after re-counting for the fifth time). Is that picture a plot spoiler? Are they the ten not-quite-as-hungry cats?
Yeah, I hope there weren't 11 hungry cats and 10 of them got a little too hungry, if you know what I mean!!

edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Got it! Fun one, Mikey!

HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 pm Yeah, I hope there weren't 11 hungry cats and 10 of them got a little too hungry, if you know what I mean!!
Exactly what I was thinking: there WERE 11 hungry cats…. now there are 10 slightly less hungry cats.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I had four or five different mechanism ideas based on the title but could not bring any of them home. I finally got nudged back to a variation of my first idea and there it was.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
KayW

Post by KayW »

HeadinHome wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:01 am
MikeyG wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 pm Yeah, I hope there weren't 11 hungry cats and 10 of them got a little too hungry, if you know what I mean!!
Exactly what I was thinking: there WERE 11 hungry cats…. now there are 10 slightly less hungry cats.
LOL yep that's what I meant by a "plot spoiler". Not to mention appetite spoiler. But I am relieved to see that my mind is not excessively twisted... or that at least I have some company :twisted:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

The satisfied grins on their faces say it all…
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Hey are there gonna be hints? Asking for a friend.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Dplass wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:24 pm Hey are there gonna be hints? Asking for a friend.
I'm the friend!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Just got the email notifiCATion....bad on me for not checking my emails or the calendar.

Cool puzzle, fun Meta, but the Cat is out of the bag.

Thanks for the puzzle.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

And it's time for a Nudge Wednesday!

1. We have four pun entries, yes, and that does match with the title - but some of the puns are a bit meh in my book, haha. I was kind of "limited" with what I could work with!

2. More so than the "puns" part of the title, it's really the "eleven" part that relates. (Note the reference to "11-letter" in the prompt.) I liked the pun on the famed quote, and I hope that wasn't too much of a red herring.

3. Also, in a somewhat "revealer"-spot, I've referenced that I used "11 Items or Less" in filling the grid - specifically exactly 11!

4. We see all the vowels in the grid, but there are some relatively common letters - "N" and "R" most chiefly - that are nowhere to be found. Plenty others fit that bill.

5. The last three metas I made had anywhere from 22 to 24 of the 26 letters in the grid. This grid...yeah, definitely not true.

6. How many unique letters might there be in the grid? (I think we know by now!)

7. Although not ideal for a meta, there isn't much else to do with this one: what do you suppose I have to do with those 11 letters once I find them? Keep in mind I said that the meta is an 11-letter word!

Mikey G

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Made it, but I needed those nudges. Funny how sometimes you just don't see what's significant!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: