MGWCC #753 - “Global Search”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Easy but I feel like I’m missing one of Matt’s signature flourishes here.
woozy

Post by woozy »

sharkicicles wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:24 am Easy but I feel like I’m missing one of Matt’s signature flourishes here.
Me too. Be funny if I whiffed this.

(Anyway, man I got a late start on this!)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Beamed up...nice to have a fresh start with a Week 1 again.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up.... Great way to start the weekend.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Finally had a chance to look at this & beamed within 4 minutes:
396. Joe Ross 🔟 11/05 - 11:10

Happy autumn weekend, to all! Today's Bearcat game might include a flask of Bourbon & branch.
woozy

Post by woozy »

So, i'm beamed up with a very large number because I go a late start.

But I was actually worried I might have whiffed this, and I figure I must be missing something because my entire rationale is just too weak and were this anything but a week one I never would have submitted this.

Is there something more to this?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Beamed up. When I started reading the clue for 58D ("Brian of crosswords . . .") I wanted put in our MacDonald. Unfortunately, the grid only allowed a three-letter name.
Also, I think the commenter here at #23 should have had a place in the grid.
Jay
Joe

Post by Joe »

rjy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:54 pm Awaiting the tractor beam, boulevardier in hand…

Update: beamed up!
I literally just finished finished a boulevardier! What a delicious cocktail.

Oh, and I beamed aboard yesterday. If anyone’s keeping track.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Just went back to see if I was right; #64, probably one of my better finishes.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Barney

Post by Barney »

186 on the board does not concern me at all. My level is strictly solve/whiffed.

BUT.

63A deterred me from submitting what otherwise seemed an obvious “guess” sooner. Because it said find it (which I presumed to mean “in the grid,” rather than guess it (outside the grid).
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up. Starting a new streak!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

mgwccGlobalSearch#753_reveal.png
-Tamara
woozy

Post by woozy »

So... is it just that several clues start with Q and Qatar is the only country that starts with Q? Is that all there was to it?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:04 pm So... is it just that several clues start with Q and Qatar is the only country that starts with Q? Is that all there was to it?
Yes, but note that in every entry with a Q (both across and down) the Q is not followed by a U.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: