No End in Sight -- November 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

The latest episode of "Outside the Blocks: A Puzzle Podcast", hosted by our very own @damefox and @AnswerPfinder, is all about MMMM. No spoilers for the current puzzle as it was recorded before that one came out. They discuss in detail the January and October puzzles.

You can find it at https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/3 ... 0584390179 or wherever fine podcasts are served.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
damefox

Post by damefox »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:50 pm The latest episode of "Outside the Blocks: A Puzzle Podcast", hosted by our very own @damefox and @AnswerPfinder, is all about MMMM. ... They discuss in detail the January and October puzzles.
Aww, thanks for the plug, @BarbaraK, and thanks for listening! Fun fact, we actually talked in depth about the January, March, July, AND October puzzles... for about an hour and a half. Rather than subject our listeners to that, I edited it down to a 30-minute episode featuring just the January and October discussions. But perhaps we'll release some or all of the rest of the conversation as another episode later on!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Off the whatever. Fun one
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Well I was worried. So many said the meta was easier than the grid, and I'm just staring at the grid for 5 days. But now I'm on the board. Loved it!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Katiedid wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:53 pm So many said the meta was easier than the grid
I think solvers often say this about MMMM puzzles because the grid contains SO MUCH music trivia. So, the grid is usually just hard no matter what, and the meta being easier doesn't necessarily mean the meta is easy. I did find this grid challenging even by MMMM standards; if the meta had been bordering on impossible it might still have been easier than the grid...
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Late to the show, but on the board! I really liked the mechanism used in this meta!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board with 5 minutes left! I had all the pieces I needed for days, but couldn't put them all together until just now when I looked at them in a different way.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Guess who won this month's MMMM mug: my "significant other" Mark! So thrilled!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:24 am Guess who won this month's MMMM mug: my "significant other" Mark! So thrilled!
Woo hoo!!! Congratulations!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

:D
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Got it with the MMMM nudge he posts after the contest closes. I'm sure I'm not the only Gen-X kid out there whose immediate mental response was "wait - that was a hit song in the 80s!"
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Got the mega! Really wasn't expecting to but I gave it another shot.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Looking at the leaderboard, it appears several got the MEGA META in November