MGWCC #752 - “Costume Change”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
markhr

Post by markhr »

Got it after a gentle nudge and a fair amount of sweat. The mechanism is certainly awesome, though the hints seemed a bit...lacking.
A tough puzzle, for sure. Kudos to anyone who actually solved it solo. And if you were able to do so based only on the original title, that's just off the charts.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I needed a second, firmer nudge, but I got it. Now that I know the mechanism I *might* have gotten there eventually. Tough!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

an amazing mechanism....the skill level for making this one...so impressive.

the Aha moment was worth the head beating against the desk.

and will get my halloween badge.

EDIT: On Monday and I'm in at #56? ....dang.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Haven't had any time to look at this. And after reading the board, I will absolutely not be spending any time on it. I'll admire it from afar when the solution is posted. 0 for 2 this weekend. But I'm pretty much resigned to that. Congrats to all who soldiered through!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Got it with a nudge from a friendly muggle. Serious kudos to anyone who solved it w/o a hint. Agreed w/ the sentiment here, brilliant idea, hard to hint/title.
photosurrealism

Post by photosurrealism »

I was hoping one of my many ideas would pay off, but so far, nada. Could just be this cold I can't shake, but I think I could use some good firm nudging.

(Got it with a nudge. I was closer than I thought, but not close enough.)
Last edited by photosurrealism on Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

OK, finally beamed up, but in this case it took an extra jolt of energy from a kind nudger to get me off the ground. Would never ever have gotten it without nudges and I am in awe of the puzzle now after hating it for awhile.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

This one had me ready to throw my ipad across the room… until the aHA moment (hastened by the subtlest of nudges from @AJK. BEAMED.

ALSO - head over to the Acapulco Lounge to check out the photo of @Schmeel and yours truly in Jerusalem! He drove in from near Bethlehem to where we are staying just to say hello, and it was so fun for my husband and me to get to meet a local!
The other Wendy. :roll:
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I feel that I need to make something very clear: Matt Gaffney's puzzles are uniformly brilliant, so are Mike Shenk's, Peter Gordon's, and Pete Muller's. These just happen to be the authors whose meta challenges I regularly attempt - there are others, including the occasional guest contributors, and our own fellow Mugglers, who astonish me, week in, and week out with their brilliant designs.

I also realize that praise is the eternal quest of (nearly?) every artist, whether it's crosswords, poetry or sculpture - we all want to be acknowledged and appreciated for that which we create. Surely, our own pride and pleasure comes first, but the reinforcement that comes with external praise is affirmation of our efforts.

I also respect that the creation of art is ever evolving. No one wants a world in which every song is a near copy of what has come before (disco era on line one). Artists who stretch the bounds of the medium create new and exciting works, which, in turn, give rise to even more creativity.

I applaud, and am grateful for every puzzle that has ever been offered to me to solve. Someone conceptualized it, brought it to life, and polished it, over the course of many hours. Their efforts keep my pencil and hopefully my mind sharp. Bold and innovative work keeps the challenge fresh and exciting; I am indebted to the creators who never rest and strive for novelty and sparkle.

Please, never assume that a "???!!!" from me is an assault on the author or the craft. Here, for example, I have noted how very impressive the technical accomplishment is - I don't think we have seen anything like this before, and it's a masterwork.

I salute and am extremely grateful to Matt Gaffney for challenging us with it. I hope I have never made a public comment that has discouraged or frustrated a puzzle author, and if I have, I sincerely apologize.
bflock

Post by bflock »

Would love a nudge from anyone who's solved. Happy to share ideas I've had to date over DM. Have been revisiting this puzzle for days and nothing is clicking for the meta.

EDIT: Got a nudge from a helpful muggle, and now just waiting to beam-up. Thanks!
Last edited by bflock on Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

Add me to those looking for a nudge. I have almost nothing for this one.

EDIT: Got just a small nudge, and it all fell into place suddenly. Thanks!
ricky

Post by ricky »

I already got a nudge and didn't even understand the nudge. I have a severe case of red herring poisoning and can't stop seeing things that don't lead anywhere. Please feel free to DM another nudge, or an elbow in the ribs, or a big shove...
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

I know I am partially on the way there. Can I tell someone what I am doing? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Received some assistant that I believe will save my sanity. Thank you!
Last edited by Sara Dacus on Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, right! It's halloween! I'd better submit. (Forgetting to submit would be even more embarrassing than forgetting to wait to submit)

EDIT: There I am at 81. Thanks to @HoldThatThought for giving me a piggy-back (calling it a mere nudge would be giving myself too much credit)
Last edited by woozy on Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:24 pm Please, never assume that a "???!!!" from me is an assault on the author or the craft. Here, for example, I have noted how very impressive the technical accomplishment is - I don't think we have seen anything like this before, and it's a masterwork.

I salute and am extremely grateful to Matt Gaffney for challenging us with it. I hope I have never made a public comment that has discouraged or frustrated a puzzle author, and if I have, I sincerely apologize.
In my opinion, I've never seen anything you've posted for which you need to apologize, or which comes close to denigrating anyone, especially the creators. I've taken everything you've posted on this topic as valued opinions written in a respectful manner. The discussions & differences of opinion are as important as the puzzles, in some ways. I'm sure you put voice to what many silent others are thinking. Thank you.
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

We really, really didn’t want to ask for a nudge this week… but sometimes you gotta know when to fold ‘em. Any nudge/shove would be greatly appreciated. We are absolutely clueless.

EDIT: Thanks @MountainManZach for the perfect nudge!
JonJonBovi

Post by JonJonBovi »

Count me among those looking for a slight nudge... totally stuck this week
firefly

Post by firefly »

EDIT: Got it, thanks!

I'd also appreciate a nudge if anyone is still offering them.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Just submitted a stupid answer without a hope of being right. I noticed so many things and tried so many things, but I never got there! 4th or 5th one missed this year, and I don't think my streak had gotten very high :-) Looking forward to the reveal.