MGWCC #752 - “Costume Change”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #752 - “Costume Change”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #752 — Friday, October 28th, 2022 — “Costume Change"

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a common 5-letter Halloween costume.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

(No word on possible deadline delay.)

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page.
A subscription costs $3/month.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Seems like a great opportunity for someone new to grab that first solved award.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Only one wrong guess so far!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:27 pm Only one wrong guess so far!
Bet I could come up with a slew of them.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Way to go @Toby !!!

As for whoever predicted that this week would be easier since last week was so hard, remind me not to believe your predictions:)

Of course maybe lots of people have solved it but are just waiting until Monday to post to get their Too Spooky achievement.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ricky

Post by ricky »

I have more than one possible answer, which seems like a problem.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, if one can't even do the grid.... what's the point.

(Did anyone else have issue that the upper right hand corner simply isn't doable?)

EDIT.... Sorry.... I'm in a real stinkpot mood..... I figured it out. Wish I could delete this grouchy ill-thought post.

EDIT... Especially as it turns out that was a relatively smooth grid. (In the upper right hand corner I had 1A and 6D no idea for 13A 16A and I only had 1 and 3 down but I had them both wrong but was fairly certain I had the only reasonable solution for those . .... That makes for an impossible corner. But once I decide I most have everything wrong and started with a weak but correct guess for 13A and then everything fell into place.)
Last edited by woozy on Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:29 pm Well, if one can't even do the grid.... what's the point.

(Did anyone else have issue that the upper right hand corner simply isn't doable?)
I'm pretty sure I have the grid completed correctly. I've even noticed a couple of things, but nothing that leads to a possible solution.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I WISH my problem were the grid.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

So...... is everyone holding off until Monday to submit? Hopefully I am ready by then.
boharr

Post by boharr »

ky-mike wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:43 am So...... is everyone holding off until Monday to submit? Hopefully I am ready by then.
Does it have to be by Monday of this year?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

boharr wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:17 am
ky-mike wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:43 am So...... is everyone holding off until Monday to submit? Hopefully I am ready by then.
Halloween is on Monday. If you want the "solve a puzzle on Halloween" badge, then you need to submit a correct answer on Monday.
boharr

Post by boharr »

ky-mike wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:38 am
boharr wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:17 am
Halloween is on Monday. If you want the "solve a puzzle on Halloween" badge, then you need to submit a correct answer on Monday.
Yes, I understood that. I was commenting on my futility. Or trying to.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I swear I got that badge last year. But it’s not unlocked. So I guess I will wait. Might as well.

But at this point, I don’t think “wait” is the appropriate word. It might be something more along the lines of “hurry up if you’re gonna figure this out by Monday.”
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

I usually bomb the Week 4s. I have a solid 33.3% chance of getting it this week! Of course, they are all hail mary answers. :lol:
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Toby

Post by Toby »

It turns out that while I had a correct answer I did not follow the path Matt intended (which I never would have seen.) I do think I can justify my approach, though it was more than a little inelegant. It was iffy enough that if I had still been protecting a streak, I would have waited for confirmation from another solver. I'll be curious later to see if others did what I did. And, by the way, losing my 100 + streak was tremendously liberating -- now I can happily walk away from a puzzle if it is making me crazy.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

@patpatchica and @Toby, we have two doggos in a row! It's going to be a good day!!

(Incidentally, I've made both of those dogs' expressions while doing metas.)

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Toby wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:10 pm It turns out that while I had a correct answer I did not follow the path Matt intended (which I never would have seen.) I do think I can justify my approach, though it was more than a little inelegant. It was iffy enough that if I had still been protecting a streak, I would have waited for confirmation from another solver. I'll be curious later to see if others did what I did. And, by the way, losing my 100 + streak was tremendously liberating -- now I can happily walk away from a puzzle if it is making me crazy.
Gold is gold in any case - congratulations!

I'm a test-prep tutor, and that's one thing in a way that I like about multiple-choice: you have a 1-in-5 shot and a hail Mary (or an educated guess) is just as good as intricately planning all of the steps. Curious to hear your logic when all is said and done!

SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Matt’s just posted an alternate title for this puzzle on the Patreon if anyone needs a hint. He’s also allowing any subscribers who’ve answered incorrectly to send a new solution to his email

Steven McKinney