"What's In Your Pocket?"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Stuck on the couch... checking too many pockets. :roll: [Got it now! Thanks Wendy-Rick-Abide team!]
eastpaksofa1-360x240.jpg
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe Ross wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:34 am
woozy wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:47 pm
benchen71 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:35 pm I had no idea Crosshare could do grids like that.

Now that you mention it.... how did they do the white squares?
crosshare can't. At least, the grid doesn't convert to PDF from PUZ and truncated corners show as black on the crosshare form.

Peter, Wendy, & Rick are sick of reading of my complaining about it:

It took a diaper-load of hunt & peck, trial & error PDF editing at 6400% magnification, ultimately.

Analogy: Learning to play Jenga against oneself with pieces 1.172 mm long, wearing oven mitts, working with a particularly blunt 🧠, thus restarting the game 14 dozen times consecutively to achieve an imperfect result.

31A, indeed.

<end "Whaa!">
Totally worth it though. That pocket shaped grid is awesome! It looks so so good on the pdf. Thank you!!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:34 am
Joe Ross wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:34 am
woozy wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:47 pm

Now that you mention it.... how did they do the white squares?
crosshare can't. At least, the grid doesn't convert to PDF from PUZ and truncated corners show as black on the crosshare form.

Peter, Wendy, & Rick are sick of reading of my complaining about it:

It took a diaper-load of hunt & peck, trial & error PDF editing at 6400% magnification, ultimately.

Analogy: Learning to play Jenga against oneself with pieces 1.172 mm long, wearing oven mitts, working with a particularly blunt 🧠, thus restarting the game 14 dozen times consecutively to achieve an imperfect result.

31A, indeed.

<end "Whaa!">
Totally worth it though. That pocket shaped grid is awesome! It looks so so good on the pdf. Thank you!!
(sheep->)πŸ‘ish 😬

TY, Barbara, but 3 minutes after posting that, I had the thought to print the PDF from the crosshare online form, which yielded a perfect grid. By copying & pasting, I could have saved hours of work & you all from my 😒ing & 😩ing.

pocket grid .png

So, yeah.... How does crosshare do that? πŸ€”πŸ§πŸ™„
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Joe Ross wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:18 am
(sheep->)πŸ‘ish 😬

TY, Barbara, but 3 minutes after posting that, I had the thought to print the PDF from the crosshare online form, which yielded a perfect grid. By copying & pasting, I could have saved hours of work & you all from my 😒ing & 😩

So does that mean we can proceed with our dodecagon-shaped grid for next month? :D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Cap'n Rick wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am
Joe Ross wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:18 am
(sheep->)πŸ‘ish 😬

TY, Barbara, but 3 minutes after posting that, I had the thought to print the PDF from the crosshare online form, which yielded a perfect grid. By copying & pasting, I could have saved hours of work & you all from my 😒ing & 😩

So does that mean we can proceed with our dodecagon-shaped grid for next month? :D
Actually, yes, because I've discovered the way to easily edit the PDF, itself. Yeesh. (And edited & replaced the linked PDF in Post #1.)

oof
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

I think you need a new clue for 15D. "Love is the Drug" is a Roxy Music song -- lead singer is Bryan Ferry. You appear to be looking for another musical Brian or perhaps Rosco P Coletrain's deputy.

Fun puzzle -- thank you for crafting it.
Abide

Post by Abide »

There is plenty of sheepishness to go around on this one. When I was unable to fill the pocket shaped grid, I turned to Rick for help, who pointed out I had more than one two-letter entry in there. At that point I turned over grid duties to Rick.

Rick also served as a test solver since he only did the grid without clues or prompt.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
β€”Brian MacDonald
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

dpl11 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:58 am I think you need a new clue for 15D. "Love is the Drug" is a Roxy Music song -- lead singer is Bryan Ferry. You appear to be looking for another musical Brian or perhaps Rosco P Coletrain's deputy.

Fun puzzle -- thank you for crafting it.
"Needle in the Camel's Eye" singer Brian and his brother Roger, perhaps?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I take full blame for that erroneous clue, @dpl11! Thanks for pointing that out. I was indeed thinking of the wrong musician! Mortified!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Off the couch. Enjoyed the meta...thanks!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Wendy Walker wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:40 am I take full blame for that erroneous clue, @dpl11! Thanks for pointing that out. I was indeed thinking of the wrong musician! Mortified!
Your mind was On Some Faraway Beach, wasn't it?

(Yes, I'm venting from seeing him associated with ambient music and production credits in crosswords for the past several decades and never getting rightfully acknowledged for his rock albums...)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Abide wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:09 am There is plenty of sheepishness to go around on this one. When I was unable to fill the pocket shaped grid, I turned to Rick for help, who pointed out I had more than one two-letter entry in there. At that point I turned over grid duties to Rick.

Rick also served as a test solver since he only did the grid without clues or prompt.
OH IT'S A POCKET!

I thought it was a heart...

Also, I'm off the heart, er, couch.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I'm on Team Wendy for 68a! AND I'm still on the couch....I tried a few things but, nada.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Off the couch --

Untitledpita.png
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Loved the puzzle and meta. Thanks to Pete, Wendy and Cap'n Rick ,great job.

Will say I think you misspelled the city in 65D, should be spelled Troylet, just sayin'
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Loved this puzzle and the meta. I'm beamed up with some help from Wendy. Have a nice day everyone.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We enjoyed the puzzle quite a bit. Alex finished grid in the wee hours of the night and then I worked with the meta this morning and confirmed on Crosshare. Just a lovely puzzle in all aspects of the word! I am definitely with Wendy on 68 but Alex is with Peter and he did the grid so I think that is the only vote that should count.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Wendy Walker wrote: ↑Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:40 am I take full blame for that erroneous clue, @dpl11! Thanks for pointing that out. I was indeed thinking of the wrong musician! Mortified!
Crosshare has been changed to that alternate sports clue you wanted ;)
Slaughter known for the "Mad Dash", which won Game 7 of the World Series for the St. Louis Cardinals
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
β€”Brian MacDonald
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Solved
β€”
Steven McKinney