"What's In Your Pocket?"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:28 pm Crosshare confirmed. What does that even mean?

And I vote for Wendy's clue!
Are you asking seriously?

Crosshare is a site where you can publish crosswords and others can do your crosswords. This crossword has been published at https://crosshare.org/crosswords/Eu9IUAhVJYaEU93W8c3g/whats-in-your-pocket-meta.

When a user uses that website link, and when a user successfully completes the grid, the website will present a form where you can enter what you think the meta is. The form will respond and tell you if your meta was correct or not.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
miked

Post by miked »

I just wanted to post a quick note to say thank you to @Abide for his shout out about donating to Crosshare, and a huge thank you to all who took him up on it! Crosshare is mostly a solo effort (though it is open source, and there are lots of folks who contribute to the community in all sorts of ways), so every little bit of help goes a very long way :)
woozy

Post by woozy »

When I get this far but can't finish I start to wonder if it some expression I'm just not familiar with. (And the disgruntled I usually find out it wasn't.)

Okay, figured it out.

I need to 1) Do meta-meta trick 3 1/2 and 2) read the prompt, ya doof!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

woozy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:49 pm
hcbirker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:28 pm Crosshare confirmed. What does that even mean?

And I vote for Wendy's clue!
Are you asking seriously?

Crosshare is a site where you can publish crosswords and others can do your crosswords. This crossword has been published at https://crosshare.org/crosswords/Eu9IUAhVJYaEU93W8c3g/whats-in-your-pocket-meta.

When a user uses that website link, and when a user successfully completes the grid, the website will present a form where you can enter what you think the meta is. The form will respond and tell you if your meta was correct or not.
I meant the meta answer.
Heidi
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Still working on the meta (no solid leads, yet!) but I wanted to post to say I love the grid. I had no idea Crosshare could do grids like that.

Oh, and with 68 across I am definitely on Team Rick!

Logarithm_plots.png
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:35 pm I had no idea Crosshare could do grids like that.

Now that you mention it.... how did they do the white squares?
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Still working on the meta (no solid leads, yet!) but I wanted to post to say I love the grid. I had no idea Crosshare could do grids like that.

Oh, and with 68 across I am definitely on Team Rick!

Let me add my vote for the beauty of 68 across.
Had I been part of the clue committee I would have suggested
"Actor who played Batman's butler in the 1960's TV Series."

(Oh, and I'm still working on the meta, too.)
440px-Alan_Napier_1949.GIF
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

Good one. Thanks, all!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Damn, Team Rick is killing it (4)
[Wendy-1; Peter-1]
I knew I should have gone with "Erin or Ben of HomeTown"
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Abide wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:43 pm Damn, Team Rick is killing it (4)
[Wendy-1; Peter-1]
I knew I should have gone with "Erin or Ben of HomeTown"
I got it with the Gators, but couldn't remember his name until I had a few letters. They haven't been as prominently televised as they were a few weeks ago....
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm off the couch. Nice job, you three!

And I'm another vote for Team Rick. Not sure why his being ahead would be a surprise here in nerd central.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:26 pm I'm off the couch. Nice job, you three!

And I'm another vote for Team Rick. Not sure why his being ahead would be a surprise here in nerd central.
Ha! "Nerd Central"! I love it! :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well color me befuddled - I believe that is a puce color. I thought that I saw the way out but I guess I am just not in the pocket....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I have to go with Rick on 68A. I was a math major and that was the only one I knew.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Nice puzzle!
I didn't know any of the 68A's -- good thing there are crossing-words... ;)
-Tamara
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

woozy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:47 pm
benchen71 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:35 pm I had no idea Crosshare could do grids like that.

Now that you mention it.... how did they do the white squares?
crosshare can't. At least, the grid doesn't convert to PDF from PUZ and truncated corners show as black on the crosshare form.

Peter, Wendy, & Rick are sick of reading of my complaining about it:

It took a diaper-load of hunt & peck, trial & error PDF editing at 6400% magnification, ultimately.

Analogy: Learning to play Jenga against oneself with pieces 1.172 mm long, wearing oven mitts, working with a particularly blunt 🧠, thus restarting the game 14 dozen times consecutively to achieve an imperfect result.

31A, indeed.

<end "Whaa!">
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Good morning, Muggles, from co-constructor Wendy! Here is our Day 1 leaderboard (compiled from the Muggle Forum and Crosshare):
Al Sisti [test solver]
1. Bhamren
2. OldJudge
3. Frankie Heck
4. Boharr
5. Bird Lives
6. Hector
7. ImOnToo
8. Darrell
9. AaronT
10. JM
11. Cindy Weatherman
12. MikeyG
13. Meg
14. Auee89
15. Debbie C
16. Carolyn
17. Edestlin
18. Laura M
19. Hoover
20. Br1
21. Tyrpmom
22. Lbray53
23. Mark Woychick
24. Hcbirker
25. Les Y
26. Woozy
27. IK Snamhcok
28. Barbara K
29. BrennerTJ

Cap'n Rick's logarithmic clue for 68A is trouncing Peter's sports version! Which in turn is trouncing my jewelry version. Why am I not surprised this would turn into a competition <interrobang>.
Nudges tomorrow. Thanks to all for solving!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Vote here for Pete's clue! No Google needed for that clue.
Kevin
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Being a math teacher, I have to go with The Skipper also!
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Reading Joe's post above reminds me that I neglected to credit our appreciation for the painstaking work he put in to create the pdf. Much of that was done from scratch.

But Crosshare does have the ability to create these shapes. I made the initial shape on Crossword Compiler, which allows addition and deletion of black squares. When I converted that to puz file the lower corners were all black squares. But when that puz file was uploaded to Crosshare the original shape was retained.

So Crosshare is able to make shapes if you start with Crossword Compiler. Maybe @miked can offer some additional insight.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald