MGWCC #751 - "Tales from Decrypt"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:40 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:47 pm This to me was more a week 4 or 5 in my opinion. But that’s how my brain works.
Am I missing something? Isn't this supposed to be a week 4?
Week 3

Week 1: 10/7
Week 2: 10/14
Week 3: 10/21
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Whew! Done and done!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:47 pm This to me was more a week 4 or 5 in my opinion. But that’s how my brain works.
It's a week 3.
Heidi
woozy

Post by woozy »

HunterX wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 pm
Week 3

Week 1: 10/7
Week 2: 10/14
Week 3: 10/21
But wasn't the first of this month a Fri? so that this friday is the 29th and this saturday is also the 29th and .... oh.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

Anyone able to PM me a little nudge?

Getting help.
Last edited by Kwyjibo on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

MMe wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:27 am Matt just sent word by Patreon email that the deadline is extended to Wednesday at noon Eastern.

Also:
If you submitted an incorrect answer because you rushed it thinking the deadline was Tuesday at noon, please e-mail me your new answer to crosswordcontest@gmail.com any time before noon ET on Wednesday for full credit (assuming you got it right). Please include your MGWCC leaderboard name with your email.
... which is a little puzzling inasmuch as there seem to have been no incorrect answers submitted.
I actually submitted an incorrect answer - went to the Patreon page, the clicked on Matt’s link to the WSJ, solved it quickly and gleefully submitted (to the MGWCC site, not the WSJ). About 2 seconds later I realized my error and emailed Matt asking for some grace to resubmit (assuming I manage to solve it) So maybe that’s what prompted Matt’s note.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

I would appreciate a bit of a hand here. Many false starts.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

When requesting a nudge from the community, it's helpful and appreciated if you let your fellow Muggles know when someone has been in touch.

Also, please remember to acknowledge your replies. Some nudges have the unintended effect of leaving you more frustrated than ever, but it's always a kindness to respond, even if it's just to say "grrrr, still stuck, but thanks"
jawbreaker

Post by jawbreaker »

Hello fellow Muggles. Long time reader, first time poster. Would love if I could get a nudge from someone in the right direction.

Edit: someone has already kindly reached out to help me, thank you!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Editing.... Nudge received... To be applied in bit... Thanks @Wendy Walker

I just sent a confirmed solver a request for a nudge but if anyone else is interested in all the gobbledygook that we have tried and would entertain sharing a nudge, I am happy to send all our fruitless paths to other people.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

My first strategy was in the right general direction -- it relied on something I recalled from an earlier MG puzzle -- but I needed a nudge to steer me to the right path. So, low 200s, not a solo solve -- it's all good, right?
Jay
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up, solo solve! My first idea turned out to be the right one.
It's kind of weird that five other solvers are listed at the same time as mine.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Glad we have December 30th's WEEK 5 out of the way.

Sheesh.

Submitted & standing still, awaiting beamage.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Solved with a rabbit-hole pruning nudge... really inspired construction!
Ray
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20221022-MGWCC-Tales from Decrypt-reveal.png
ricky

Post by ricky »

Well, goodbye streak.

I got the cipher very quickly and spent 4 days trying to figure out what to decode with it without it ever occurring to me that it would be the phrase META ANSWER. I have to partially point the finger at my solving software for this one (as well as myself) - I used Shortyz on my phone, which doesn't display notes consistently, and didn't display the note for this one, so I wrote the prompt down on a piece of paper... Without capitalizing META ANSWER.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Having chatted with quite a few people about this one, I'm fascinated by the very different paths people took to get there.

Some, like ricky, got the cryptogram but just couldn't see what to decrypt. (And I found that step hard to nudge.)

Others noticed the capitalized META ANSWER right away but had no idea how to decrypt it.

Having the theme answers in the downs always seems to throw off a lot of people. Some had the right idea but were looking at things like USS and DII without noticing the two longest (down) answers had matching letters in the same positions.

And I have a ton of sympathy for those who never do cryptogram puzzles, and when nudged to that as a starting point had to google to find out what they are and how they work. There should be bonus points for those folks who did manage to figure this one out. What dedication!

Personally, I had a bit of a hybrid approach. I did notice the all caps META ANSWER right away and knew that would be important somehow. First tried ROT13 and its relatives, but when that didn't get me anywhere started looking for the words with two of some letter. When I got to ASTROCYTE/THEDJOKER I tried that with METAANSWER; got nothing useful one way and _RETT_H_RD the other and knew what the missing 3 had to be. Took a bit of poking around to find the other 3 pairs, prove to myself that my answer was right, and appreciate the lovely spacing of the theme answer positions.
Last edited by BarbaraK on Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I spent too much time trying to solve for a missing letter with pairs of entries. The first and last across answers were GOA & TRAY. I saw Go A(s)tray, which also was an alternate answer for "Zig when you should have zagged". Using the first and last grid answers seemed logical to me, but that was not time well spent. A kindly nudge on Tuesday set me straight.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I didn't get this one, but am amazed at the construction. I especially like how the grid appears to be a crypt with the covering raised. I'll blame that for distracting me the whole time :)
TMart

Post by TMart »

Sometimes you just see it - "crypt" in the title and META ANSWER capitalized told me it was a cryptogram before I even opened the grid. Unusually small grid with right-left symmetry meant match up letters from the left with ones on the right. JETWASH and RBIMAN had all of the letters of META ANSWER, so I started there and solved it with only two of the theme answers. Not bad for a bleary-eyed Saturday morning after being out late the night before celebrating a win for my Phillies in the NLCS!