MGWCC #751 - "Tales from Decrypt"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Just a reminder for those Muggles who need their "Too Spooky" medal (Solve a puzzle on Halloween): Remember to hold off submitting your answer to MGWCC #752 until Monday, the 31st. (The only one I'm missing is Egg-Cellent (Solve a puzzle on Easter), because it was so terribly important to submit my answer immediately. Smart, very smart).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:03 am Just a reminder for those Muggles who need their "Too Spooky" medal (Solve a puzzle on Halloween): Remember to hold off submitting your answer to MGWCC #752 until Monday, the 31st. (The only one I'm missing is Egg-Cellent (Solve a puzzle on Easter), because it was so terribly important to submit my answer immediately. Smart, very smart).
Heck I’ll be lucky to submit this one by then.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Yay, I've activated my tricorder and now awaiting beam-up, but quietly confident that it will happen!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up at #100, but not before being pulled out of a deep rabbit hole by a kindly muggle. I did not find this one as easy as some other solvers.
Cindy Heisler
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

As I have noted before, the worst feeling you can have as a meta solver is the sense that "everyone sees it but you". Somewhere along the way, this one has been pegged as "easy" and "obvious ", and "jumps right out at you", and that's making solvers feel obtuse.

This puzzle is not an easy solve, by any means. Obviously, it was for a few clever and fortunate solvers, but the solution requires a very specific observation that is by no means telegraphed or obvious.

If you're beating yourself up for not seeing "something so easy", don't. It's not.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Only 107 solvers two days in definitely does not suggest an easy meta. Some of us just lucked into the right path early on.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TMart wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:50 am 1-Across for now. Hope it holds with the web issues - I had to keep refreshing until I got an entry form.
Congratulations!! Looks like that was your last one for the full sweep!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:33 pm As I have noted before, the worst feeling you can have as a meta solver is the sense that "everyone sees it but you". Somewhere along the way, this one has been pegged as "easy" and "obvious ", and "jumps right out at you", and that's making solvers feel obtuse.

This puzzle is not an easy solve, by any means. Obviously, it was for a few clever and fortunate solvers, but the solution requires a very specific observation that is by no means telegraphed or obvious.

If you're beating yourself up for not seeing "something so easy", don't. It's not.
As I was one for whom this was easy, but having been, many times, in the situation where the puzzle was very hard whilst others thought it easy, I understand this completely. And, in this case, I would definitely say I was “fortunate,” as opposed to “clever.” I am guessing this could be a classic case of it being easy for those who naturally think along the lines of the metanism. To me, it was just a straight forward, logical, clear path to the answer that didn’t require cleverness. (At least I didn’t feel clever at all.) I don’t know why except to say that it just “was” clear. So I assume my way of thinking, my normal mode of processing things, worked with this particular metanism. My wife, who has not taken to meta puzzles at all, would not have gotten this one. Yet there are times where I struggle and struggle, then ask if I can bounce something off of her, and she looks at the puzzle and says, “Duh! Why can’t you see that?”

It’s only after I try to help a couple muggles who are struggling that I realize it’s not an easy meta for others. You, @HoldThatThought, in particular, have helped me many times, dragging me kicking and screaming from “I still don’t understand” to “Oh, now I see it!”

Which is what’s so wonderful about this forum. We all think a little differently from each other. So there will always be puzzles we find easy that others find hard, and visa versa. And that’s how we can help each other.

So how is a constructor, such as Matt, able to come up with all these different metanisms? That, to me, is a genius: Someone who can create (and presumably “gets”) these puzzles with all the different types of metanisms.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I’m on the beam up list I hope from an assist from @BarbaraK !

Edit: officially beamed.
Last edited by hcbirker on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
ricky

Post by ricky »

I haven't had the time I might ordinarily have to work on this one, but I still feel like I should have it by now. Got Step 1 pretty quickly and then...??? Not ready for a nudge yet though.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
ReB

Post by ReB »

Had a sudden insight. Awaiting confirmation, which may take a while due to the late hour. If so, I would be my first solo week 3 in a four-Fri month, I believe.

EDIT: confirmed.
Last edited by ReB on Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Two words - HOLY CRAP!!!

I have submitted what HAS to be the answer but I am absolutely GOBSTRUCK over the concept and path. I am like the featured presenter who arrives without his papers...speechless.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

DrTom, that reminds me of the time that I rented a limo for $300 and it didn't even come with a driver.

All that money and nothing to chauffeur it.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

This to me was more a week 4 or 5 in my opinion. But that’s how my brain works.
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:27 pm DrTom, that reminds me of the time that I rented a limo for $300 and it didn't even come with a driver.

All that money and nothing to chauffeur it.
Speaking of rentals, we recently rented a higher end German auto and unfortunately had an accident. I was surprised at how much damage a seemingly small "fender bender" wrought. The garage explained it simply by saying. "that's how the Mercedes Benz" :D
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Totally lost on this one and based on the comments above, I will probably have to wait for the reveal next week. But I am enjoying the search for light in the creative grid
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore. I needed help. I finally saw the light while typing up what I had in order to ask for even more help! The mechanism and my early nudge make so much more sense after that fact!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed
MMe

Post by MMe »

Matt just sent word by Patreon email that the deadline is extended to Wednesday at noon Eastern.

Also:
If you submitted an incorrect answer because you rushed it thinking the deadline was Tuesday at noon, please e-mail me your new answer to crosswordcontest@gmail.com any time before noon ET on Wednesday for full credit (assuming you got it right). Please include your MGWCC leaderboard name with your email.
... which is a little puzzling inasmuch as there seem to have been no incorrect answers submitted.
woozy

Post by woozy »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:47 pm This to me was more a week 4 or 5 in my opinion. But that’s how my brain works.
Am I missing something? Isn't this supposed to be a week 4?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.