"Fall Classic" October 21, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

On shore. A bit worried at the start being someone who grew up knowing baseball as rounders, but that didn’t stop me!
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm ashore.
iblinked

Post by iblinked »

On shore. 😁
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:49 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:02 am On shore--last night. I had just CREpt under the covers when an idea leapt into my brain. So, of course, I headed downSTairs, turnED on the light by my chair, and quickly CARved out the answer. Boy, was I overthinking this one (but that is one of my life mantras). Then is was bACk to bed. It is early, so I will tap into our cARAfe of coffee and make myself a homemade mocha. What an amazing construction!

San Juan Capistrano Mission, San Antonio TX, March 2018
Crested Caracara is part eagle and part vulture but is listed as a falcon. ???
Wow--you're doing your homework! Which sent me off to do my homework. When we think of falcons, I think that most people think of Peregrine Falcons--sleek and aerodynamic and the fastest animal on the planet. But there are other big and bulky falcons, like the Gyrfalcon. I'm wondering if looking at the genetics is driving the classification. And then my field guide says that falcons and caracara are more closely related to parrots than they are to other raptors. Go figure.

The caracaras may not actually be vultures, but they eat like them. Their biggest source of food is carrion, like roadkill. You don't need to be fast to catch that!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore.

Embarrassingly, kids and I finished the grid tonight (we always finish the entire grid first), then tried many very shallow rabbit holes that were enticing, but definitely overly complicated to be the metanism for something described many times with the "E" word. Had to end the call before solving, as son had things to do.

Took awhile for me to try what should have been obvious from the start. D'oh! Felt like taking a pitch to the head. Yes, I'll take my base and try to stay on the baseline whilst heading there.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

On shore! The answer fondly reminds me of where I spent my summer vacation this year… good times.
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

Ashore! I think I'll have a mezcal to see what all the fuss is about.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

On shore! After so many weeks afloat, it's a treat!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 pm
hcbirker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:49 pm Crested Caracara is part eagle and part vulture but is listed as a falcon. ???
Wow--you're doing your homework! Which sent me off to do my homework. When we think of falcons, I think that most people think of Peregrine Falcons--sleek and aerodynamic and the fastest animal on the planet. But there are other big and bulky falcons, like the Gyrfalcon. I'm wondering if looking at the genetics is driving the classification. And then my field guide says that falcons and caracara are more closely related to parrots than they are to other raptors. Go figure.

The caracaras may not actually be vultures, but they eat like them. Their biggest source of food is carrion, like roadkill. You don't need to be fast to catch that!
Farside Falconers Club Poodler Picnic.jpg
KayW

Post by KayW »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:49 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:02 am On shore--last night. I had just CREpt under the covers when an idea leapt into my brain. So, of course, I headed downSTairs, turnED on the light by my chair, and quickly CARved out the answer. Boy, was I overthinking this one (but that is one of my life mantras). Then is was bACk to bed. It is early, so I will tap into our cARAfe of coffee and make myself a homemade mocha. What an amazing construction!

San Juan Capistrano Mission, San Antonio TX, March 2018
Crested Caracara is part eagle and part vulture but is listed as a falcon. ???

This discussion inspired my WORSCHACH today :) :bird:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:06 am
hcbirker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:49 pm Crested Caracara is part eagle and part vulture but is listed as a falcon. ???

Farside Falconers Club Poodler Picnic.jpg
Tears literally rolling down my face! Super toon Joe!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
LuscombeDriver

Post by LuscombeDriver »

Finished and submitted
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

On shore, but it took a little longer than expected based on how fast everyone else was!
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:13 pm Oh shore! Even though it was a sports theme!
Exactly! I saw World Series and my heart sank. Such a relief to make it on shore and hang out with all y’all for more days than usual!
Steve_S

Post by Steve_S »

I'm ashore! Fastest I've ever gotten one! Bound to be TONS of correct responses this week! :D
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Ashore.
Will find a smooth Octoberfest for after 5.
nikiwhitecar

Post by nikiwhitecar »

This was my first try at the meta after just having discovered it and doing the 101 course. After a day in thought, it came to me! The hometown team no less. I’m delighted to be a muggle!!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday afternoon muggles

We have a very crowded beach with 217 on the shore and Isaac getting some well needed rest.

And welcome to our newest muggles - Steve_S, Wsjreader, Sleepy, Scoopdave, NaplesGuy and Kwyjibo. Great to have so many new muggles

Our long list of those on the shore are

docison
Al
paige
michaelm
Cindy
Cap'n Rick
chriscross
Dave C
clonefitz
darth
Peter
Deb
benchen71
escapeartist
Wendy
pjc
Tom Wi
krf
Eric C
Joe R
Dannyvee
mattythewsjpuzzler
Kay
Meg
Eric P
boharr
Beth T
Jeremy
Anita
MatthewL
joe
Beth A
MarkWoychick
Jim and Anita
girubato1
rliebert
Andrew B
Rculli0332
Homer
Heidi
oldjudge
Mike H
Chris
dplass
NebFaninCA
Fred
JaneGummy
Guffman
mlvilv
Richard
Schmeel
DavyGravy
b4alltime
Samantha
sfed
auee89
JimJim
sharkicicles
Janet P
ky-mike
Don and Cynthia
Moi
Al Laubenstein
Lyman
Bird Lives
CPJohnson
rjy
dpl11
Ron
CallMeShane
SJMck
CAe39
dot
CdnMG
copperriver
Laura
joequavis
ajlying
BrennerTJ
Rita and George
NDStegs
D B Miller
Hidden in 3D
Debbie
Inca
Joepickett
phofer
hunkra
Georgeall
RussHiggins
Trey and Marion
MileHighSolver
Adajeo
Flying_Burrito
Barbara K
higgysue
M and M
Jace54
Acari
woozy
jrdad
mbryant
Merry Potter
hopijr
Omnibus
Matthew
Tmart
katnahat
zonkswonk
Lube On
Les
Bill
Lee-Ann
meowmiao71
TeamDoubleTow
Char
Bonnibel
kawaja
minimuggle
streroto
Lacangah
patpatchica
edestlin
TheFusionMoose
hoover
Don and Lisa
Mister and Mrs. Squawk
horsesense
JeanneC
Commodore
Tina
whimsy
BigPear
ReB
linsocalm
Steveb
Cinny
Berto
vandono
David K
Dow Jones
qvart
Happy
Henry Paul
mkmf
TheKater
Kwyjibo
lisajoy
Ergcat
cheekumbaldy
kurtalert
Fogway
MaineMarge
ladybird
Onaquest and Tim
CromsFury
sweetc
haydendog
regfish
Mary F
WSJosh
Blair
NaplesGuy
Katiedid
jhseeman
hottieruth
lbray
DrTom
Gman
CalRhody
Guy L
ixpeterson
ajk
Elizabeyth
Joes and Natasha
RDaleHall
sf592000
cayleigh
Scoopdave
Sleepy
MajorDomoTom
EVJ
Jean
Olof
ImOnToo
Geezer Weezer
Scott M
dk letter
Susan G
iggystan
relic (and Maggie)
eagle1279
Kris Zacharias
Diane
Crest
Jade and wife
Wsjreader
Annabelle
Collegetowngirl
mrmd
jimmyd
HunterX
Penny_Keatley
LittleGood
Colin
Harbo
Jarrod
Jackie J
JRS51
Mark Granger
LuscombeDriver
John B
TheCatt
Cbaudhein
iblinked
Notbitter
Steve_S

and fear not, Isaac is sending more beer and ice with the next boat coming ashore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Ashore
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

We made it ashore! Margaritas for all!