"Fall Classic" October 21, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

On shore with a 66A, cheering on the Phanatic's team. Go Phillies!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 pm
hcbirker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:49 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:02 am On shore--last night. I had just CREpt under the covers when an idea leapt into my brain. So, of course, I headed downSTairs, turnED on the light by my chair, and quickly CARved out the answer. Boy, was I overthinking this one (but that is one of my life mantras). Then is was bACk to bed. It is early, so I will tap into our cARAfe of coffee and make myself a homemade mocha. What an amazing construction!

San Juan Capistrano Mission, San Antonio TX, March 2018
Crested Caracara is part eagle and part vulture but is listed as a falcon. ???
Wow--you're doing your homework! Which sent me off to do my homework. When we think of falcons, I think that most people think of Peregrine Falcons--sleek and aerodynamic and the fastest animal on the planet. But there are other big and bulky falcons, like the Gyrfalcon. I'm wondering if looking at the genetics is driving the classification. And then my field guide says that falcons and caracara are more closely related to parrots than they are to other raptors. Go figure.

The caracaras may not actually be vultures, but they eat like them. Their biggest source of food is carrion, like roadkill. You don't need to be fast to catch that!
I wondered what hidden avian you would leave for us this week and this one was a real education. Thank you.

Currently I am sitting in the catbird seat after solving grid, meta, and finding safe harbor last night. So while we Muggles wait for confirmation of our solution can we persuade you to address the origin of the odd expression?
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:32 pm
I wondered what hidden avian you would leave for us this week and this one was a real education. Thank you.

Currently I am sitting in the catbird seat after solving grid, meta, and finding safe harbor last night. So while we Muggles wait for confirmation of our solution can we persuade you to address the origin of the odd expression?
I didn't really go down any rabbit holes while pursuing the meta answer, but these bird questions have got me scurrying through them galore! :lol:

I had heard the phrase, but didn't really know much about it. "Sitting in the catbird seat" means being in a position of advantage or superiority or dominance. It refers to our lovely North American Gray Catbird and is thought to refer to its habit of sitting high in a tree and singing away (although I also notice that they like to sing from deep inside a shrub, too). So, "sitting pretty" also applies here.

Reb Barber, a baseball broadcaster for the Reds and Dodgers and Yankees (how appropriate for this week's meta!) liked to use this phrase. "Sitting in the catbird seat" meant "sitting pretty"--like a batter with three balls and no strikes.

There is a short story by James Thurber called "The Catbird Seat" (which inspired the 1960 movie "Battle of the Sexes"). A character in this story likes to use the phrase.

And now for a fun fact about the Gray Catbird. It is a "mimic" bird, so its song just warbles and wanders all over the place and it quite lovely to listen to. It ends its song with a sound like a cat's mew, thus its name.
Limerick Savant

@LadyBird you handled the last challenge so well, I am going to pitch you another curve.

There is a artist here in Mobile who creates silhouettes of a local bird out of abandoned political signs and randomly places them around town. Can you identify it? Clue: there may be an allusion to your previous post.

BTW, I deliberately chose the expression because of the Red Barber connection. Thanks for being a good sport. Should be a week for you to shine.
Silhouette
Silhouette
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:23 pm @LadyBird you handled the last challenge so well, I am going to pitch you another curve.

There is a artist here in Mobile who creates silhouettes of a local bird out of abandoned political signs and randomly places them around town. Can you identify it? Clue: there may be an allusion to your previous post.

BTW, I deliberately chose the expression because of the Red Barber connection. Thanks for being a good sport. Should be a week for you to shine.

929AB91D-0FF6-4ABC-AC10-1D389B643957.jpeg
Based on your hint, I'm guessing catbird. But that tail also looks very grackle-like. So, I'm hedging my bets!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Drinking coffee, stone cold sober ☕️
Nice and cozy in mid October

Hopefully I will remember :?:
To check this site in mid November

Nice cool weather, lots of snuggles 👩‍❤️‍👨
Fondly missing my favorite muggles

No, I haven’t been two-timin’ 🪩
Just out of practice with my rhymin’

—and metas!

How y’all been, hanging in there? Hope no muggles were affected by the Florida hurricane too badly or the market pullback. Been keeping sharp with Wordle and its variations and work! Miss your cameraderie! Big hugs!

Yes I’ve admitted that I am powerless over the Metas and that my life had become unmanageable. So I confessed my fragility of mind, begged forgiveness and turned to salvation in the far easier and confidence-flattering NYT Wordle, spelling bee 🐝 and Letterboxed. Forgive me muggles for I have gone to the other side…. From which I send you my fondest regards.
Limerick Savant

LadyBird wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:25 pm
Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:23 pm @LadyBird you handled the last challenge so well, I am going to pitch you another curve.

Based on your hint, I'm guessing catbird. But that tail also looks very grackle-like. So, I'm hedging my bets!

Would you believe a mockingbird?
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Am I officially the last one on shore?! I’m just happy to be here. I made it way to difficult, then realized I was alone with Isaac and found the answer quickly. Lots of crazy rabbit holes. Good luck all!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

@Limerick Savant and @LadyBird

Let me assume that the silhouette is correct which for art is a leap of faith.

It is definitely not a catbird as the head shape and bill are all wrong. A catbird has a much smaller bill

Same thing with a Northern Mockingbird which also has a very needlelike bill

So that leads me to a Common Grackle or Boattail Grackle. Not a perfect beak but closer than the other options. Also the chunk head and very large tail are much closer
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles. Our final count is 232 on the shore

And @SusieG you are not the last muggle on shore. There are 1266 muggles so that means that there are 1034 behind you. I hope that you win the elusive mug however the odds are long
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

On Shore
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore! Forgot to post
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20221021 WSJCC Fall Classic reveal.png
woozy

Post by woozy »

Did anyone else think it was odd that the printed this exactly a week after another with almost exactly the same mechanism?

I don't think this would have been anywhere near so obvious if we hadn't had the puzzle we had the week before. After last week it was clear we had to interpret four out of seven and look for the fourth letter out of seven letter words.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

it's ok to have a week 1 (or week 0.5) in the paper from time to time - it's the "taste" to get people addicted.

:)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the-roadrunner-bird-interesting-facts-and-information.jpg
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
steveb

Post by steveb »

vandono wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:27 am
Camden, ME (not to be confused with NJ . . )
Reminds me of a time my girlfriend and I, running through the airport to make our connecting flight to New Haven, CT, boarded a flight to Newark, NJ. Not our only trip to have a hiccup in either the planning or the execution.
You've got nothing on this guy, who flew from LA to Auckland instead of Oakland:

https://apnews.com/article/920201fe8b75 ... 7946039dc4
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

woozy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:11 am Did anyone else think it was odd that the printed this exactly a week after another with almost exactly the same mechanism?

I don't think this would have been anywhere near so obvious if we hadn't had the puzzle we had the week before. After last week it was clear we had to interpret four out of seven and look for the fourth letter out of seven letter words.
I was thinking the same thing!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Mug schmug...if anyone wants a chance at a REAL prize, the odds are much better at this week's Muggle Meta Monday (collab between myself, @Wendy Walker, and @Cap'n Rick. Check it out at viewtopic.php?t=1906
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald