"Fall Classic" October 21, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Grandma Lolo

Post by Grandma Lolo »

Ashore
Grover

Post by Grover »

On the beach playing sandlot baseball.
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

Ashore. started with havent-a-clue then a day later: voila. need my end-of-summer Cubana. ahhhhh
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Struggle the last 2 weeks but made it ashore this time.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I kept looking and looking and just couldn't figure this one out. Down a few rabbit holes, but not too far before abandoned as not fitting with the speed people were solving. Once again, it was sending an email and explaining what I had done and lamenting "what am I supposed to do, XXX?"

Yep, realized it right then. On shore!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Printed the puzzle and forgot about it on Friday (sacrilege, I know).

Just finished and didn't even see Isaac at the bar. Teleported directly to the tiki bar. Thinking this might be close to a record this week.
Rufus T. Firefly
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

Who is this Isaac person?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

My addition to the avian discussion. This beautiful owl is Ulysses, who starred in the Harry Potter movies. He's now 40 years old. We saw him at the Knightwings show at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire yesterday.
Attachments
owl.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Just back from a FL visit to assess damage (our house was 15 miles from the eye . . ). Fortunately, we were north of the eye; didn't get the water surge so no flooding and - - miraculously - - no damage other than a few shrubs blown over. Feeling very blessed!

Oh yeah, on shore. Agree with the comments about construction; well done as usual.
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

On Shore!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

FINALLY took a trip through NE a couple of weeks ago to see the fall foliage - - have been meaning to do it for years, but when we see the leaves changing here in PA (and it reminds me to take the trip), it's already too late in NE. Put it on the calendar this year so as not to miss it. Got input from Maine Marge and stopped in her hometown of Camden, ME (not to be confused with NJ . . ). Good call! The lobster roll my wife had for lunch must have taken an entire lobster to make.
Attachments
IMG_8885.jpg
vandono

Post by vandono »

Camden, ME (not to be confused with NJ . . )
Reminds me of a time my girlfriend and I, running through the airport to make our connecting flight to New Haven, CT, boarded a flight to Newark, NJ. Not our only trip to have a hiccup in either the planning or the execution.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

chriscross wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:06 am Who is this Isaac person?
@chriscross Isaac (Ted Lange) was the bartender in the TV show The Love Boat. He more than willingly serves drinks and provides consultation to muggles who have not solved the meta and are stuck on the ship. A quick summary of all our quirky terms is:

The Wall Street Journal started the meta contests in September 2015. At that time metas were new to most of us and we did not understand them so we were totally Lost At Sea. After a couple of months, Sally Schott started the Lost At Sea cruise for those of us who were learning. What followed was that those who solve the meta had made it to the shore and were enjoying the sun and the Tiki Bar.
Naturally those of us on the ship gravitated to the bar to assuage our sorrows. So quickly Isaac from The Love Boat showed up as our bartender. It is Isaac's picture which graces our Blog Page. Along the way we christened ourselves the Muggles in pursuit of the elusive WSJ mug. And as we tried different approaches to solve the each contest, we went down some rabbit holes in pursuit of the elusive critter. (don’t ask about the logic of rabbit holes on a ship).
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

Steady progress to the shore so we have 228 enjoying the sun and the Tiki Bar.

New since yesterday are

Tom S
dudeski
Cindy N
jmorgie7
Drew and Kasia
Grandma Lolo
Franklin
cbarbee
Grover
SingleMalt
Nlobb
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:43 am FINALLY took a trip through NE a couple of weeks ago to see the fall foliage - - have been meaning to do it for years, but when we see the leaves changing here in PA (and it reminds me to take the trip), it's already too late in NE. Put it on the calendar this year so as not to miss it. Got input from Maine Marge and stopped in her hometown of Camden, ME (not to be confused with NJ . . ). Good call! The lobster roll my wife had for lunch must have taken an entire lobster to make.
We took a road trip from Louisville to the NE a few years ago. We didn't have a firm plan, mainly played it by ear and made hotel reservations day by day (not smart when visiting Boston as reasonably priced rooms were scarce). Missed peak color by one week. However, we had a great time visiting Sturbridge Village, Basketball HOF, Boston, a maple farm in Vermont and others. Had a lobster roll for lunch at least 3 days in a row once we got north of Boston. Looking forward to going again.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

On the beach. Fun one!
sjm

Post by sjm »

Ashore - first time in a few weeks that I got it without an assist!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:14 am My addition to the avian discussion. This beautiful owl is Ulysses, who starred in the Harry Potter movies. He's now 40 years old. We saw him at the Knightwings show at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire yesterday.
I imagine that this owl would also enjoy some miniature poodles!
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Cruise director Bob! So happy to report being back on shore for the first time since Labor Day! Son has been busy with college applications and homework and I am hopeless on my own. But today we found time and energy and made it back. I’ve missed everyone.