"Building Onto" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Building Onto" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? There's a lot of pressure on us meta constructors. We have to walk that fine line between making a puzzle that's too easy and one that is too hard. If I've built this one correctly then I've provided you with enough for you to find the answer to the meta, which is a 6 letter word. Here's hoping!

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and multiple attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Building Onto - Online Form
Building Onto - PUZ
Building Onto - PDF
Building Onto - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Up too late so I must have crossed the moat while the gators were sleeping. Clever one, Ben!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ha! Moat scaled! Almost by accident but scaled none the less!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Tangents.

51D. It's always confounded me that we stopped using them. They are an incredibly cheap and useful utensil and recipes really *are* easier to make and come out better with less clumping if we do that. I'm also confounded people who haven't used them don't know what they are. I remember 10 years ago someone I knew said "I've seen them and I know what the are. They are like a double boiler". I almost did a spit take.

8D. Not a phrase I've ever heard.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Done and noted! [MOAT crossing confirmed.] Thanks, Ben! 8-)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: Nice one - thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

In an old test prep passage, 48-D came up and some of my students had never heard of it. That was humbling, to say the least.

Still chewing on the meta! Let's see if I can build onto the right answer!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Across the moat. Nice one, Ben!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

MOAT crossed...enjoyed it...thanks Ben!
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:54 am In an old test prep passage, 48-D came up and some of my students had never heard of it. That was humbling, to say the least.

That's nothing! When I was a kid NOBODY had heard of a 48D.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Comfortably challenging, and not a single google…yay!

And… Ben! 32D! I will be walking that ancient place in just a couple weeks! (God willing)

Across the not-so-threatening-this-week moat!

Also, I brought home my 103-yr-old Mommaw’s <51D> with me after her funeral in February. She taught me to cook, and why that step is important (in some recipes… not all).
The other Wendy. :roll:
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the moat! Nice lunchtime solve.
woozy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:13 pm
MikeyG wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:54 am In an old test prep passage, 48-D came up and some of my students had never heard of it. That was humbling, to say the least.
That's nothing! When I was a kid NOBODY had heard of a 48D.
Me neither, woozy!
hoover

Post by hoover »

woozy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:11 am Tangents.
8D. Not a phrase I've ever heard.
I've seen it in Brit-lit, so by extension it's probably in Oz-lit as well. Or who knows, maybe it was NZ-lit I saw it in. Ngaio Marsh, anyone?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Never heard of 8d, but it’s always nice to learn something.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Crossed the MOAT. I was sure that I spotted a brilliant mechanism. It seemed to fit perfectly. It actually would make a nice puzzle if I ever work up the courage to try making one. I woudl need to get Ben's permission I think.

In any case, I am thankful for suggestion I got about abandoning my Quixotic pursuit of a nonexistent rabbit.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed. Stormed.

Very much enjoyed this one. Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Well, here we are at the closing of the first 24 hours and here are the successful solvers so far:

Hector
rjy
woozy
Darth
KayW
boharr
edestlin
BrennerTJ
Qmark
hoover
Meg
Tyrpmom
lbray53
Laura M
DIS
Cindy Weatherman
ChrisKochmanski
Gutman

That's 18 to begin with. Thanks for the encouragement re the puzzle. It's nice to know people are enjoying it after last week's less popular effort!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well. I've "seen" three different possible mechanisms, unfortunately none of them have turned out to be THE mechanism. Arrgh! So still staring longingly across the MOAT at the castle.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I was dragged across the moat kicking and screaming all the way. Looking back, I shouldn't have needed the nudges, but that is usually the way it works. Thanks!
Cindy Heisler