Call For Backup

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Bird Lives

Call For Backup

Post by Bird Lives »

Here we are at mid-October, which regulars who did Al’s MMM last week know is the 288th day of the year. (Actually, today is the 290th, but close enough.) Appropriately for middle-month, today’s puzzle is of middling quality and perhaps middling difficulty. Actually, the difficulty level is hard to estimate since the cultural knowledge useful for solving the puzzle may be different for solvers of different ages. But that’s why we have the Internet, isn’t it?

The answer is an eight-letter word for rulers.

Call For Backup crosshare

Call For Backup PUZ

Call For Backup PDF

Call For Backup spreadsheet

Jay
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Loved it--this is my sweet spot. No googling necessary.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Off the couch, thanks Jay! Really enjoyed it

Incidentally, I used Crosshare to check the grid I filled off-line, and in clicking quickly I accidentally revealed the meta answer... oof! Is there a way to turn that off? I still solved it legitimately: knowing the answer gave no help in finding the answer. Happy that I was still able to enjoy the AHA!
Ray
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Off the couch!

No Google to solve. I did Google to verify something.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch. Thanks for a fun one, Jay.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Bird Bird, Bird's the word.

Nice puzzle that I should not have needed any course correction on, but I did. Only had to Google one little (well two actually) thing.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Fun grid.

Got step 1 okay but it wasn't what I assumed it'd be. Can't figure out step two. Maybe that is what I thought it'd be (but it doesn't seem to be).

Fun puzzle so far.

EDIT:: Argh. I shouldn't have given up so soon. (But at least I can see why this would take a few people very little time and I'd need a lot more)
Last edited by woozy on Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

37A, Jay's one of my fave MMM constructors!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch. Got the first step pretty quickly, and then pondered off and on all day. Finally saw it. And gave myself a little headslap for not seeing it sooner.
Matthew
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

rjy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:43 am Incidentally, I used Crosshare to check the grid I filled off-line, and in clicking quickly I accidentally revealed the meta answer... oof! Is there a way to turn that off? I still solved it legitimately: knowing the answer gave no help in finding the answer. Happy that I was still able to enjoy the AHA!
The constructor can click an option that gives a 7 day delay on being able to reveal the meta answer. But it has to be clicked before publication; it can't be changed once the puzzle is public.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks, Jay. Nice Aha moment!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I got there, but I had to google somewhere between 50 and 85.71% of the meta. (Being deliberately vague to avoid giving away the denominator.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch — chuckling in happy recognition of the answer!

Thanks, Jay!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:31 pm
The constructor can click an option that gives a 7 day delay on being able to reveal the meta answer. But it has to be clicked before publication; it can't be changed once the puzzle is public.
Now you tell me.
Jay
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Off the couch. Absolutely loved it...thanks Jay!
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:31 pm
rjy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:43 am Incidentally, I used Crosshare to check the grid I filled off-line, and in clicking quickly I accidentally revealed the meta answer... oof! Is there a way to turn that off? I still solved it legitimately: knowing the answer gave no help in finding the answer. Happy that I was still able to enjoy the AHA!
And it only works on publication day. YOu can't schedule ahead. ANd it *has* to be for 7 days. You can't set it for 3 days or 2 weeks or whatever.

CrossHare has some oddly programmed inflexibilities. This is one of the most capricious.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:15 pm And it only works on publication day. YOu can't schedule ahead.
Actually, you can do it ahead of time. As long as you have that option set when you click "Publish", even if the puzzle is set to "private until a certain date when it becomes public", the 7 day reveal will occur as expected.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch, by the way. Had to use google, though. The answer was something I had never heard of.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Fun puzzle. There was enough in there to point me in the right direction, but I did need to google galore.
I guess I'm a bit young and a little far.
Thanks Jay!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

One day in, we have 28 solvers, plus or minus. Minus because I might have missed someone. Plus because I might have double-counted a Crosshare solver, especially if their Muggle name is different from their nom de Crosshare. (Note: these are not necessarily in temporal order. Some of the earlier solvers were among those I overlooked and added at the end of the list.)

Al Sisti (TS)
Abide(TS)
1. DJB
2. FrankieHeck
3. Tyrpmom
4. oldjudge
5. Hector
6. lbray53
7. JM
8. ChemBrewer
9. Laura M
10. DrTom