"Keep on Truckin'" October 14, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Still on the ship and looking for a nudge please! I’ve scrolled through the comments and can’t seem to find any “if I’m on shore ask me for a nudge” signatures posted where the post mentions being on shore!

I have a couple of wild ideas but not solidly convinced I have even the most basic first step. I’d appreciate any help! My solving partner is unavailable this weekend. Missing him in more ways than one!!!!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Seen at today's car show
Attachments
20221016_123801.jpg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

If you get a change look at the Cleveland Browns quarterback Jacoby Bridgett

He is a dead ringer for Isaac
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Lisa wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:09 pm Still on the ship and looking for a nudge please! I’ve scrolled through the comments and can’t seem to find any “if I’m on shore ask me for a nudge” signatures posted where the post mentions being on shore!

I have a couple of wild ideas but not solidly convinced I have even the most basic first step. I’d appreciate any help! My solving partner is unavailable this weekend. Missing him in more ways than one!!!!
Hi Lisa,

I would be happy to give you a nudge but won’t be online after posting this. I suggest looking at “Hints For Solving”.
To find it go back to:
Board Index, then
Come Aboard, then
Community/Solving Resources, then
Hints for Solving

Your nudge is in there.

Good luck!
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore with the generosity of the community! I am completely amazed and awed at the construction of this one.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Lisa wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:09 pm Still on the ship and looking for a nudge please! I’ve scrolled through the comments and can’t seem to find any “if I’m on shore ask me for a nudge” signatures posted where the post mentions being on shore!

I welcome personal message nudge requests, as do many others.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

If anyone would like to try this week's puzzle from Matt Gaffney's own crossword contest, I just noticed this on his Twitter feed:

Matt Gaffney wrote: Today's MGWCC (Matt Gaffney's Weekly Crossword Contest) is #750 in my series, which will end in 2027 at Puzzle #1000. I'm giving today's puz away for free; if you'd like to try it, email me at crosswordcontest@gmail.com with "750" in the subject line
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

ship4u wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:04 pm

I welcome personal message nudge requests, as do many others.
It doesn't hurt to just ask someone who has solved if they are nudge willing. What's the worst they can do? If they *really* don't want to give a nudge they'll probably give a very oblique clue ("Notice how some of the entries have different letters and go in different directions? Look for something that is slightly odd") or just not answer. I suppose at the *VERY* worst they might say "I don't give nudges" but I haven't seen anyone quite that blunt.

But most will want to give nudges. Most people who have solved want to talk about it. (Why else would they have posted that they have solved in the first place anyway?)

Also, anyone who says "I solved thanks to a nudge" is almost certain to want to play it forward (also if they found the clue too revealing or too obscure they will likely edit to be closer to what they wanted).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

So, @Lisa is probably saying, "For goodness sakes, why don't they just write to me." Here's why. I write to a nudge requester and wait and wait, and keep checking my messages for a reply. Meanwhile, someone else has written before I did, given a nudge, and the nudgee is off line and happily working on the meta solution.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I have a subtle first clue, of which I am very fond. PM me, then reply with what it inspires. I have 2 more, but nobody's needed the 3rd.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Ashore. Coughing out salt water, peeling seaweed off my tired shoulders, and staggering on wet sand, but ashore.
Jay
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Ashore, needed help. Good grief.
Cynthia
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

On shore!! Once again, what I had danced all around what I needed and all it took was a reminder to get this big rig parked!
rjy

Post by rjy »

After emptying out a LOT of Isaac's liquor bottles, I made it to shore after a rabbit-hole pruning nudge. Very cool metanism!
Ray
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

ship4u wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:35 pm So, @Lisa is probably saying, "For goodness sakes, why don't they just write to me." Here's why. I write to a nudge requester and wait and wait, and keep checking my messages for a reply. Meanwhile, someone else has written before I did, given a nudge, and the nudgee is off line and happily working on the meta solution.
So well put. I second the sentiment. Thank you for putting it out there.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

On shore. The wrong path led me to the right path, which worked out quite well!
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

And a photo update! Embalse Potrerillos in Mendoza, Argentina. We just celebrated my thirtieth birthday on Thursday :)
Attachments
0D7163F2-7766-414F-8C9A-AA410FDD31C3.jpeg
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

On shore after some very kind and patient nudging on the Zoom. Thanks for the restraint, ladies; it was much more satisfying to find the right path. Thanks!
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

Made it to shore with the help of the Zoomers! Thanks for the nudges! This was a rather elegant puzzle and solution, in this muggle's opinion.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is exactly 20 on the ship and 120 on the shore.

Good luck to all winning the mug

Don't forget the zoom call Tuesday at 7pm ET
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director