"Solo Performers" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Solo Performers" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Here's a puzzle for any music fans out there! This turned out to be a difficult meta to put together. Hopefully there are enough signposts for you to get to the meta answer, which is comprised of two words with eight letters in total.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Solo Performers - Online Form
Solo Performers - PUZ
Solo Performers - PDF
Solo Performers - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed and stormed.

Thanks, Ben!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Moat traversed. Thanks, Ben!
download (4).jpg
Meg

Post by Meg »

This involved a bit of backsolving. The alligators yelled at me as I crossed the moat.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

This one is playing much harder than a "week 2". I think that means early nudges! Let's give it the full 24 hours though, just in case...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

I'm sitting on what I think is a first step, maybe one-and-a-half steps, but unable to find a toehold further...
Ray
KayW

Post by KayW »

I'm sitting on that same step, I think. Patiently waiting for inspiration or nudges, whichever comes first.
FitBark_pug_sad_stairs-scaled.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I've found a few things, but I need more direction, or hints, or something.
Cynthia
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Never gonna happen. Thanks for the puzzle though.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Dplass wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:26 pm Never gonna happen. Thanks for the puzzle though.
Never say never! I'm fairly confident the nudges will help. :D
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:30 pm
Dplass wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:26 pm Never gonna happen. Thanks for the puzzle though.
Never say never! I'm fairly confident the nudges will help. :D
Thanks. I couldn't get a single one of the themed answers (like, never heard of any of them) so i doubt I'll get very far with nudges.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We are approaching the 24 hour mark. Here's the last of successful solvers:

ChrisKochmanski
DIS
Hector
Darth
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
Tyrpmom
imontoo
boharr
Tom Wilson
Small Wave Dave
Ergcat

That's a start of 12. Since this was supposed to be a "week 2", let's do some nudges!
Last edited by benchen71 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The clue for the central entry provides a lot of information: the second word of the meta answer can be obtained by finding artists hiding "centre stage".

2. Once you find some artists hiding in the grid, something about those artists will provide a hint as to where to find the first word of the meta answer.

3. The hiding artists are not necessarily in the centre of their entries.

4. The hiding artists are all mononyms.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat!

( didn’t need the nudges… had the idea just needed a bit of backsolving and googling to get a couple of letters!)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ergcat wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:24 pm Crossed the moat!

( didn’t need the nudges… had the idea just needed a bit of backsolving and googling to get a couple of letters!)
Same... 75% and a guess. Moat crossed and castle only merely happened upon. But thanks, Ben!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

About Nudge 2: Yeah, but I'm never going to find any of those artists....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

I already had the info/performers that the nudges lead to - just don't know what to do with them!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DebbieC wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:14 pm I already had the info/performers that the nudges lead to - just don't know what to do with them!
First letters?
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Crosshare says I crossed the MOAT. I will be anxious to see the reveal. As was mentioned above, I also only found 75% of the letters and guessed the answer. I still cannot figure out the remaining 25% even with extensive Googling. I have only heard of two of the solo performers. I guess I am old.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Finally crossed the moat. Needed the nudges, though.
Tricky.