MGWCC #749 - “Eyes on the Prize”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Submitted and waiting to be beamed up - expecting a lot of solvers this week! Now back to the WSJ...

Edit: beamed up!
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

This would be a great puzzle for anyone trying to recruit new meta solvers. The grid was neither a "gimme" nor a Fireball, and the meta provided a sweet a-ha moment and a sense of accomplishment! Nice one, Matt.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:26 pm I found it more difficult that other Week 1 puzzles, which I have been able to solve with Downs Only, No Instructions. Not this time. I got the idea, but had to Google stuff (I never learned my table manners, especially the newer stuff). To check, I had to look at some Across clues as well. I also discovered, in Googling after I'd submitted my answer, a possible quibble about the title and answer.
I was just coming here to post that Downs Only seems impossible on this one.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

At least I can still solve a "Week One" . My track record has been terrible lately on all metas. Grids are no problem, just can't seem to see the ultimate solution these days. .
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beamed up! Nice to have one Gaffney solved, so it's back to wrestling with the WSJ...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Started late but I am beamed up. I’m really bad at these, but the keeping on has taught me a few things, some of which helped today….
Joe

Post by Joe »

Happy to be aboard.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up.
Cindy Heisler
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

A quick solve, keeping one useful page of wikipedia open for spelling and other facts. Awaiting my Beamer. Er, beam.
The other Wendy. :roll:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

OMG, I just blew a Week 1! I’m tired from driving for 10 hours, no printer here, had to draw the grid on graph paper, thought immediately of a too-simple answer … then entered it!

And almost immediately realized my mistake.

I feel like Bill Buckner in October 1986!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:49 pm OMG, I just blew a Week 1! I’m tired from driving for 10 hours, no printer here, had to draw the grid on graph paper, thought immediately of a too-simple answer … then entered it!

And almost immediately realized my mistake.

I feel like Bill Buckner in October 1986!
I don’t realize the mistake but I’m pretty sure I did what you did but I had like 15 minutes to look at it today and it seemed way too simple but hey week 1. I guess I’ll find out what the answer was when I get back to Chicago on Sunday.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Is this a “find it” or a “guess Matt’s mind” it?
Barney

Post by Barney »

I managed to whiff it

Week one 🫥
Barney

Post by Barney »

Confirmed the whiff and got the correction. 😂
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Just woke up after a brief Saturday afternoon nap and beamed up quick. Fun!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:40 pm This would be a great puzzle for anyone trying to recruit new meta solvers. The grid was neither a "gimme" nor a Fireball, and the meta provided a sweet a-ha moment and a sense of accomplishment! Nice one, Matt.
true, and I'm beamed up for the weekend.

Edit: confirmed at #385. It's a crowded transporter this week.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Tried downs-only-no-instructions, but that was spoiled by the instructions given away in the write-up of last week's puzzle, then had to peek for a bit of the fill. Similar to Jay's comment, I'd have found this a difficult meta to get in this manner. Otherwise a solid Week 1 with all the clues and prompt.
Ray
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 749 reveal.png
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol of course the week there's a chemistry related meta I'm giving an exam and will miss the Zoom discussion tonight. :lol:

Other than not having to look up Dmitri's first name and knowing that LAWRENCIUM was a thing (or at least knowing that Lawrence Berkeley National Lab is a thing, and connecting it that way) I don't think I had any special leg up. I prefer to stick mostly to the single-digit atomic numbers. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer