"Consider the Alternative" October 6, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:50 am Well, at least I was on the right path on Thursday night before we left to visit daughter, SIL and granddaughter. I even wanted to bring some of those three-letter words into the metanism, but I was using only the alternative words (RI + O = 64D RIO). It never occurred to me to use the first letter of the answer and its alternate. This photo shows my notes on the back of the completed puzzle that I printed out that evening. I'd like to believe that I would have figured it out eventually if I'd stuck with it, but it was may more fun to play with the birthday girl and her American Girl dolls!!

WSJCC 22.10.07.jpg
So close you could almost taste that General TSO!
Screenname of Hidden in 13D instead might have helped this week too... :lol:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Common, modern use:

The Tragedie of Macbeth. - Macbeth

The Tragedie of Othello, The Moore of Venice. - Othello

The Tempest. - The Tempest

Screenshot 2022-10-10 shakespeare poster macbeth.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-10 shakespeare poster othello.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-10 shakespeare poster tempest.jpg
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:10 pm Common, modern use:

The Tragedie of Macbeth. - Macbeth

The Tragedie of Othello, The Moore of Venice. - Othello

The Tempest. - The Tempest

Screenshot 2022-10-10 shakespeare poster macbeth.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-10 shakespeare poster othello.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-10 shakespeare poster tempest.jpg
This reminds me of "Verily, A New Hope":
chart

Post by chart »

This reminds me of a recent meta that I almost missed because I forgot the "The" in The Sun Also Rises (TSAR) and the "A" in A Christmas Carol (ACC). That was my third puzzle, and I learned the importance of articles. :D
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

When I googled Shakespeare plays I landed here, which just says TEMPEST. I also carelessly included MISSISSIPPI as one of the states, so having extra choices seemed to be valid. Similar things have happened before in these metas.
Will be interesting to see how many submitted OTHERS and if it will be accepted.
https://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/v ... _alpha.php
Richard

Post by Richard »

Did not get it but feel that I should have.

In my humble opinion, a great meta.

Thanks
Barney

Post by Barney »

Tight puzzle; also just about busted the limits for explanation on the WSJ puzzle page.

I can see way more ways to go wrong with this one than ways to go right.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

femullen wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:26 pm ...

Still wasn't obvious except that I noticed T and S in Thursday-Saturday also appeared in Tso. And the only reason that stood out was because I'd been trying to make something from Washington, Eisenhower, and Tso all being generals.

And just to shake things up a little, I'll add that Othello was a general also. :twisted:
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

"The Moor, the merrier," I say, channeling that Tom with the medical cred.
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

Funny you mention that, because HORROR was the answer to the clue "Get Out" genre in this Sunday's LA Times crossword!
clonefitz wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:57 am I ultimately made the correct submission, but an alternate answer that I came up with involved reviewing all of the six-letter grid answers and seeing if an alternative answer could be applied to one of those. The one that seemed obvious was 35D "Get Out" genre. The grid answer SATIRE was not my first instinct, I wanted to submit as HORROR, so this seemed like it could have worked as a puzzle answer.
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

Cruciverbalisticexpi wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:31 pm Funny you mention that, because HORROR was the answer to the clue "Get Out" genre in this Sunday's LA Times crossword!
clonefitz wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:57 am I ultimately made the correct submission, but an alternate answer that I came up with involved reviewing all of the six-letter grid answers and seeing if an alternative answer could be applied to one of those. The one that seemed obvious was 35D "Get Out" genre. The grid answer SATIRE was not my first instinct, I wanted to submit as HORROR, so this seemed like it could have worked as a puzzle answer.
I saw that too! Speaking of that, do the crossword editors at the large papers conspire with each other? Our local paper published LA Times puzzle so I do that and WSJ. So many times there are common words, clues, and themes that seem like can't just be coincidence. I swear there is a "word of the day", I'm going to start keeping track.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I've lost count of how many times the same word will appear in the same day's mini and regular puzzles on The New York Times app. If the repetition would only spread to Wordle, maybe my stats could look a tad better!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Cruciverbalisticexpi wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:57 pm After getting the first step on the first three answers, I thought for sure the meta answer was going to be ERSATZ. A word that describes substitutes. Disappointed when that turned into ERSOOH. Lol
I was expecting the same. OOH well! 🙄
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:32 pm
M and M wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:33 pm
oldjudge wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:05 am As Joe said the play is The Tempest, not Tempest, so it doesn't work. Secondly, as a tip for solving Matt's puzzles, Matt is too polished to give solvers a random group of letters to anagram for a solution. Almost always the letters composing the answer will be found in grid order. If you have to anagram to get your answer be very skeptical of what you have.
Agreed that Matt would not normally require that kind of anagram. However, the full name of Macbeth is "The Tragedie of Macbeth" and the full name of Othello is "Othello, the Moor of Venice" so using Tempest makes as much sense as using Othello. I think both answers should be accepted.
LOL, Othello is referred to as Othello; no one refer to The Tempest as Tempest.
BTW, since we are discussing alternative titles, I would like to point out that it is perfectly acceptable to refer to me as “The Limerick Savant” or simply “The Savant,” 😉 But certainly not the latter this week. 😔
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
trickybit

Post by trickybit »

I get that my "TEMPEST" is wrong on a technicality, but my solution was so much simpler, and still in keeping of the theme. It's just not right... :-)

- OTHERS -
JANUARY - OCTOBER
MACBETH - TEMPEST
CORNELL - HARVARD
WASHINGTON - EISENHOWER
CONNECTICUT - RHODE ISLAND
THURSDAY - SATURDAY
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:57 am My first answer took the first letters of the alternative answers HSOEOR. And they spell SHOOER - which is a real word. But it did not fit the title and the anagram was not Matt's style. But it gave a good laugh until a very slight nudge in the right direction
Yup shooer is a real word
C2367E1A-3A38-4649-83C4-FC6083ECB07B.jpeg
And it’s a homophone of “SURE”, : 29D “I guess that works”. Yeah, ok Sounded like confirmation to me in 6 letters!!
( got it later with a nudge)

Wowsers! My finger is getting tired liking all your rabbit holes. The Xword Rabbit must be working overtime to come up with nominees this week!!
wisconsin jim

Post by wisconsin jim »

FWIW, Henry IV and Henry VI also work, so the statement in the solution “there is exactly one alternate answer that would fit”. Is simply wrong. Just a little sloppy in my mind.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

KscX

Post by KscX »

This week and season makes me think it’s time to re-watch this!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

I won the mug!!!!! :shock: :shock: