It's not copying if they are homages, is it? Two puzzles inspired by fellow Muggles puzzles.

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
woozy

It's not copying if they are homages, is it? Two puzzles inspired by fellow Muggles puzzles.

Post by woozy »

Bouncing off the walls
https://crosshare.org/crosswords/9QCZhW ... -the-walls

I couldn't figure out this Capn Rick meta, https://crosshare.org/crosswords/fJCfC9 ... o-location, so I made up this puzzle instead using the mechanism I wanted that puzzle to have.

This was a hard grid to fill and I apologize for some of the encyclopedic entries but .... I got really stuck in places. But I hope you find this puzzle ..... different.

The meta is an answer to a question

(I'm giving this a 2. Most who tried it got it pretty readily)

Continental Divide and Conquer
https://crosshare.org/crosswords/D0Sc4G ... nd-conquer

This one is inspired by benchen71's Earthquake Zone https://crosshare.org/crosswords/AXLVWC ... -zone-meta

This one was incredibly difficult to construct. The metanism required lots of parts and they all refused to cooperate. I was ready to give up when... I finally got all the pieces to fit (although the lower left corner has a lot of stretches and abusing-- 84A is a complete abuse but I hope I get some points for creativity.)

The meta is a six letter word

(I'm giving this a 4.5)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Both of these have challenging grids, but the aha moments are definitely worth the effort. Thanks, woozy. And no, it's not copying!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

So far, I've done just the Bouncing grid -- and I have to say, once I managed to get it filled(!) that it's a very eye-pleasing design.:D
Now for the "easy" (?) part ... a bit later...
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Have done both grids now, but I think I'm going to have to set aside some time to better tackle the metas. (On a day when the WSJ hasn't wrung me out!) :lol:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got ‘em!

Grids were hard. Lots of googling. For me, anyway. (Maybe other Muggles breezed through.) Then I got the metas quickly.

Thanks, woozy!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Got the first, working on the second now.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Got the second (the "hard" one) --- working on the first (the "easy" one) now. (Just me being contrary, I guess! :lol: )

And, yeah, @ChrisKochmanski I "breezed" through those grids! :lol:
woozy

Post by woozy »

ANSWERS:
BOWanswer.jpg
BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS: If you follow a path between the two circle, heading south-east, and bouncing off the walls it spells WHICH SPORT CAN ALSO BE A VEGETABLE.

The answer to that question, and to the meta is: SQUASH

CONTINENTAL DIVIDE AND CONQUER:
ConDiv.jpg
The six continents (as per the "combined America" (but separate Europe/Asia)) are hidden through clues. The remaining letters spell words. Those words are clues. And the the first letters of the entries (in order of the Continents order in the grid) spell: EARTH'S

And... gararglebargle..... I so hate it when I find an error while creating a puzzle, take a different tack for hours, come up with a problem, find a solution BUT DO SO BY GOING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL ERROR AND FORGET IT WAS AN ISSUE.

So... I spent a long time after I found out that GIL has a single L. I work around and around, had an error with AUSTRALIA and went around and found a final solution.... that used GILL with a double L! GARRGH! And I only just noticed I didn't solve it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.