Four by Fours - October 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
jbird

Post by jbird »

anyone willing to give a nudge? I've been down a few rabbit holes but nothing fruitful
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

I would also appreciate a nudge … I feel like we’ve figured out step 1 but nothing else!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Got it. Very cool. 3/3 now w WSJ and MGWCC in the bag. What will I do with the rest of the weekend???

Oh and I am a big big music guy and have never heard of the band either.

Stay well all
Abide

Post by Abide »

Streroto wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:19 pm Got it. Very cool. 3/3 now w WSJ and MGWCC in the bag. What will I do with the rest of the weekend???
I don't see your name on this leaderboard.

viewtopic.php?t=1872

It's professional grade ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Needed help. Thank you Cinny!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I think I did what BarbaraK did -- had the right idea but on a first pass, I didn't look carefully enough to see it through. That took a bit more time.
Since I haven't paid close attention to rock/pop in several decades, my default assumption is "never heard of 'em." That was certainly true here, but I still had a solo solve.
Jay
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Filled in the grid back on Tuesday and spent the week going down rabbit holes...saw some light tonight while out at dinner with my son. Sure enough, there it was. I'm old enough to know this band and a couple of their hits. Happy to get it solved as the deadline approached.
Now to see if I can get myself unstuck on the WSJ in time.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

If any kind souls want to throw me a last minute nudge- I’m not getting anywhere with this one!
burak

Post by burak »

I found the mechanism and followed a couple steps, but unfortunately I can't make a rock group out of what I've got. I fear this is RIOTGRRRL all over again when I had the letters RIOTGRR and thought my path was going nowhere.

Edit: Well I did some more Googling and finally figured out the answer before the deadline. This was a tough one.
Last edited by burak on Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Got it. Last hour grid & meta solve. Well done!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:40 pm Got it. Last hour grid & meta solve. Well done!
Ditto, glad I came back to this one!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

From Pete's solution writeup:

"This month’s randomly chosen winner of an MMMM coffee mug hasn’t gotten back to me yet."

Everybody check your spam folders! Nothing but spam in mine:(
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I found summa these ones:

MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Just wondering if the people who haven't heard of Split Enz have heard of Crowded House?

Brothers Tim & Neil Finn were co-leaders of Split Enz, then when Tim went solo, Neil regrouped some of Split Enz and some other folks as Crowded House.

Kudos to the guy who got Matador Records mentioned in the write-up. I forgot to add into my submission my alternate, crossword-ish cluing of "Record label that (appropriately) begins their catalog numbers with 'OLE'."