MGWCC #748 - “Crack the Code”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Tilghman is Matt’s son, and today is his birthday. It was announced back in puzzle #488 so looks like he’s 5 years old now.
https://crosswordfiend.com/2017/10/10/mgwcc-488/

Don’t know if the train has any special significance.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally had time to look at this. Pretty confident that I will be beamed up!

Edit: on the board at 192!
Last edited by hcbirker on Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I expect to beam up with the next update. I had overlooked a piece of vital information in the grid but, when I finally saw it, it became a quick solve from there. I think it would be apropos to give this search for a well-known number 3 a difficulty rating of 3 (SAD as it might be).

Edit: On the board at #193
MMe

Post by MMe »

Tilghman ... October 2 ... Presumably the Gaffneys were paying tribute to this missive from George Washington to Tench Tilghman on October 2, 1783:

https://founders.archives.gov/documents ... 1-02-11890
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Got it thanks to some help from @Wendy Walker. I don’t think I’ll ever stop learning how to do these puzzles!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:24 pm Finally had time to look at this. Pretty confident that I will be beamed up!

Edit: on the board at 192!
Right behind ya, Heidi! :lol: :lol:
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Beamed up after helpful nudge from Wendy W. Thank you!
Terragon

Post by Terragon »

Finally saw it.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved on Saturday, but waited to beam up on October 2 to get the achievement. Looks like Tilghman and I share a birthday. I only wish I were much closer to his age!!
Cindy Heisler
ReB

Post by ReB »

Beamed up last night after a Wendy nudge, but couldn't confirm until today.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed after a much appreciated helpful nudge. Was too focused on the wrong aspect of the right thing, which seems to be my path of late. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
rjy

Post by rjy »

Code cracked, awaiting tractor beam.

Grid filled on Thursday, but it took a long trip in the car today to discuss the possibilities to finally get to the answer. Listened to Will’s podcast on the way, and from hearing the challenges the muggle team collectively had constructing the MMM “Don’t Overthink It” puzzle, amazing to think about the constraints Matt had in constructing this one. I’m bummed I stumbled onto the MGWCC so late in its existence…

Cheers all!
Ray
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

ajk wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:56 pm Beamed after a much appreciated helpful nudge. Was too focused on the wrong aspect of the right thing, which seems to be my path of late. :lol:
Same.

Steven McKinney
ricky

Post by ricky »

In the weeds Nudge needed.

Edit: got it with a nudge from Cinny - thanks!
Last edited by ricky on Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Joe

Post by Joe »

Beamed aboard with a nudge. Holy red herrings, Batman.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Yeah, so now that the solution is posted... those numbers, though! Had nothing to do with the meta. That was bewildering to me.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Major major headslap. DOH!!! I don’t normally get week 5 (even if it’s 3.5 in disguise) but I saw this all the way through to the 5 letters. I saw HEART right away and spent more hours than I care to admit (well I was on a plane with little else to do) trying to backsolve into something that would fill in 3-6 but never even saw that another way of using the letters was EARTH. What a dodo I am. I even thought of how 3 was part of <3

Stay well all
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Is it still Tuesday? Sometimes time gets away...
CrackCode.png
-Tamara
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

After submitting EARTH I realized that ATWOOD was the key to my getting each of the two solution steps. I hadn't found the hidden numbers. But I noticed that there were first names of many women in the grid. But then there was ATWOOD. Why would that be? Oh, look at that: two.

Then I went through all the fruitless attempts that Joon and others at crossword fiend tried. Then I eventually stared at the grid some more. It was A(TWO)OD that sparked remembering that AROD was in the grid.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm Yeah, so now that the solution is posted... those numbers, though! Had nothing to do with the meta. That was bewildering to me.
Yeah, in hind sight I had to wonder "Those didn't have anything to do with anything except as a group".

It could have been vegetables are far as the meta was concerned?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.