MGWCC #748 - “Crack the Code”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:22 pm Also - there is an award related to submitting on Oct. 2, as i recall. So i have time.
Yup, it's the "Tilghman" achievement, that's why I'm waiting until Sunday to submit!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm feeling special! I just noticed that Matt Gaffney has included me in his list of Crossword Links!

Image 001.png

Now, if only I could move beyond the first step of the current puzzle... :?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe

Post by Joe »

I'm with the folks who have the first bit, and then... *shrug*

I think I can crack this, though!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:03 pm I'm grouchy so I'm going to say "a well known number 3" is an oxymoron. If something is well-known its a number one or two..... Jus' being a grouch.....
I beg to differ. I can think of plenty of number 3s that are quite well known. I'd give some examples, but that would be spoiling.

I requested beam up, just after a leaderboard update but quite confident. Already have the Tilghman achievement, probably from before there were achievements.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed up and rated this as a 2.5. I still have PTSD from last week and it took a little while for me to even open the email :-)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed up. Not confirmed but it is a 100%er.

I rated it a 1.5. However, on vacation with PUZ file not downloading forced me to make my own grid on notebook paper. I think that helped me see the mechanism early. This might have been a SAD for me with a printed copy.

Maybe I should always do them this way. No thank you. My wife wondered what the heck I was doing.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm still working on cracking the code.... I think I found step 1 but I'm glued to that step... I hope all the Florida and South Carolina muggles are OK.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

minimuggle wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:29 pm I'm still working on cracking the code.... I think I found step 1 but I'm glued to that step... I hope all the Florida and South Carolina muggles are OK.
I think I'm at the same place you are, looking for step 2.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I liked it (even though I'm not Mikey).

A good couple of hours of being flummoxed, followed by an "Oh, there you are, you clever little metachanism, you!".

I sent my difficulty rating to Matt, but I'm not sharing it here. If there is one thing I've learned in solving these puzzles - the last thing you want when you can't solve it - is to hear how easy other people thought it was.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed with a little nudge from Wendy....what a fun puzzle.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Feel fairly confident we will be beamed up.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Did everyone else go down the same initial rabbit hole that I did? Some of you look familiar.
Matt hasn't updated in six hours, but I'm pretty sure I'll be on the board.
I also think that in his comments on last week puzzle, Matt borrowed without attribution my observation that the "ADs" homophone would work only for Americans, not Brits.
Jay
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Solo solve that took me way way longer than it should have. Waiting until the morning to submit for the badge.
woozy

Post by woozy »

God,.... I can't believe how long I assumed I had done everything I can think of when I clearly hadn't. But a solo solve.

I'm giving it a 3.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have now submitted my application for beaming up, having delayed in order to claim the Oct 2 achievement.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

woozy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:26 am God,.... I can't believe how long I assumed I had done everything I can think of when I clearly hadn't. But a solo solve.

I'm giving it a 3.
Ditto and ditto.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:22 pm Ironically, I was so relieved and excited to finally spot the mechanism, I forgot all about waiting to Oct. 2 and submitted immediately.
I did exactly the same thing after making a huge big deal about the Tilghman Badge on our Tuesday night call. Mark is highly amused.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'll have to get Tilghman badge next year, haha. 10/2 will fall on a Monday, which is about when I crack a Level 4 anyway, if at all!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, thanks to time zones (and a day of blindness) I got this badge. Um, what is the Tilghman Badge and what is the significance of Oct 2nd and of the train picture.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.