"Back Nine" September 30, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

Getting lonely here, every time i start one of my engrossing stories or hilarious jokes Isaac stops me and says "you've already told that one four times", sigh no-one else to talk to... EUREKA! I am off this miserable leaking scow and on shore! (Literally, as I typed that)
P.S. and a thank you to Wendy W for a nudge!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm... maybe it's time for me to take another look at this again.....

.... meh.... still have to think about golf terms....

How badly am I going to kick myself when I find out the answer and realize I never really gave it a shot?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm Hmm... maybe it's time for me to take another look at this again.....

How badly am I going to kick myself when I find out the answer and realize I never really gave it a shot?
Pretty badly
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I now have the first step. But stalled out again. Ugh.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore, after hopping from one rabbit hole to another. I'm impressed by the number of solvers early in the weekend. The many golf jokes were very enjoyable and eased my pain.
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

Cindy N wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 pm I now have the first step. But stalled out again. Ugh.
Keep trying. I just got it after nothing for two days. Good luck!
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

At last! On shore!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I was counting down to Isaac's last call, and kawaja's post made me revisit. I found the first step and with the help of the Zoom crew I managed to wash ashore. Always nice to chat with such lovely folks. Thanks!
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

On shore! I was confident I had the right mechanism but was missing one little thing; finally got it to turn my meaningless answer into a meaningful one!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 5 on the ship and 215 on the shore

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CdnMG

Post by CdnMG »

I filled in the grid on Thursday and stared at it and...nothing. Figured it was yet another week of hanging with Isaac. Just picked it up again this evening and tried one thing. So pleased that I am now on shore and with not too much paddling. A big wave just washed me up on the beach!
woozy

Post by woozy »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 pm
woozy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm Hmm... maybe it's time for me to take another look at this again.....

Pretty badly
Woosh! You sure had *that* right!

Glad I forced myself. That was 1.75 at worst.

EDIT. But that was probably the hardest to do easy puzzle I've ever done.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

On the beach just in time. Now back to the Braves game!
trickybit

Post by trickybit »

On shore, first post here, first solve since ZZ Top (long time).

Is the deadline midnight sat night or sunday night?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

trickybit wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:52 pm On shore, first post here, first solve since ZZ Top (long time).

Is the deadline midnight sat night or sunday night?
It’s tonight, so you still have time to submit your answer.

And congratulations!! And welcome to the forum!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Ashore! It has probably been over a year since my last solve.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Whew!!

On shore. Saw the first step way early and put it aside until tonight. I tried many combinations until I saw I had one mistake. Then finding the correct mechanism to get the right order took a few iterations until it popped out.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Magistra wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:37 pm
Cindy N wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 pm I now have the first step. But stalled out again. Ugh.
Keep trying. I just got it after nothing for two days. Good luck!
I reached out for help after I posted that. And just before I received a response I looked at the grid and there it was. On the shore!!
Onaquest

Post by Onaquest »

Retired from work on Friday. Ran a half marathon in a personal best yesterday. Just got the meta and onshore now. This is as close to the wire as we have ever been. My nerves are in shreds.
clueless_solver

Post by clueless_solver »

No ideas here. It feels like I'm at the point where it should be obvious given how many how many steps I have completed, but I don't know anything about golf. Anagram solvers are dangerous for rabbit holes, people! Submitting something that definitely feels wrong based on googling but it's a word at least.