"Laughter Is The Best Drug" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Laughter Is The Best Drug" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Apparently, Fantales are an Australian invention! These chocolate-coated caramel sweets come wrapped in paper with trivia questions on them, originally movie-related. Growing up, we would use these questions to play "guess the movie star" with someone reading it out loud and everyone else hoping to be the first to answer correctly. The fun was that the questions were worded in such a way that the details would start out sort of vague, or really obscure, and get more and more obvious. By the end of the question, though, it should be absolutely clear what the answer is. In this puzzle, I've written four clues as "WHO AM I?" Fantales questions. The answer to the meta is two six letter words.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Laughter Is The Best Drug - Online Form
Laughter Is The Best Drug - PUZ
Laughter Is The Best Drug - PDF
Laughter Is The Best Drug - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Darth

Post by Darth »

What MOAT???... :o
1lDelH.gif
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Is it Saturday yet?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
rjy

Post by rjy »

I’m quite sure the lack of traffic here doesn’t correlate to lack of interest. I filled the grid at 2am EDT and have bupkis to report… may be time to try something easier like the MGWCC
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Crosshare stats tell me that there have been sixty grid completions but only one successful solver.

The above sentence is your first nudge.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The moat, which for too long had seemed so treacherous, has now been crossed.

Thanks, Ben!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I thought I had the mechanism, or a least a strong hint for it, but its yielding nada!
I don’t get your nudge ( above), Ben!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I did not clippety-clop across the drawbridge. I was pushed by a rather intense wind gust. Interesting meta.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I was remiss not to have posted an end-of-first-day solvers list. Here it is now:

Darth
Darrell
ChrisKochmanski
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
boharr

Yes, indeedy, it's playing like a "week 4". I might bring the nudges forward by a day so look for them round about when the WSJ meta is posted!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, I solved, but I'm not proud of my method. Crosshare confirmed.
Cynthia
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

This boat remains other side of the MOAT. Was sure I knew what to do but obviously not.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more, which brings us to eight solvers. (That was another hint, by the way!)

Carolyn
CPJohnson
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The meta hint is in 10 A and 65 A: in combination with the clue, you must be at your wits ends in order to solve the meta.

2. Did you notice that the four theme entries (the ones with WHO AM I? clues) are all comedians? Comedians are wits!

3. There has to be a reason for those long WHO AM I? clues, right? Yes, there is.

4. What is common across the four WHO AM I? clues, something that is also true of the meta prompt?
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: It took all of the nudges to get me across the moat. Thanks, Ben!

And I was curious enough about these FANTALES to order a bag online. For the questions, of course. The candy has nothing to do with it ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

KayW wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:11 pm And I was curious enough about these FANTALES to order a bag online. For the questions, of course. The candy has nothing to do with it ;)
If you enjoy chewy caramels covered in milk chocolate, then you will be in heaven. If not, there's always the wrappers to read and enjoy!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Crossed the moat, finally. The nudges were helpful.
Thanks, Ben.
woozy

Post by woozy »

The answers to the nudges are: Of course, yes, I suppose. Nothing.

And I'm exactly where I was before the nudges.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat…finally !! I needed the last nudge!!
Thank you, Ben!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

woozy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 pm The answers to the nudges are: Of course, yes, I suppose. Nothing.

And I'm exactly where I was before the nudges.
Just about the same. I think I know what Ben's nudging us toward but I'm just not putting two and two together.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

OK; NOW I understand how I was supposed to get the answer.
Cynthia