MGWCC #747 - “Admixture”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

I’m more than happy to provide nudges to anyone who needs help. Feel free to PM me. 🙂
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I know I am at the last step, but now what? NOW WHAT??
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Whatchu got? The Nudge Factory is at full operation in my PM’s so hit me up and I’ll bump you over the finish line. 🙂
Barney

Post by Barney »

three wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:01 am
Barney wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:23 pm Also …is this the weirdest grid EVER?
I’m going to fully agree, but mostly because I have no idea how to even begin and I’m assuming the shape has to be meta-related. If anyone has a very gentle initial nudge, I’d be very welcome :P
I assumed it was related to the “little lady” issues.

I had a few ideas on what might be mechanisms here, but they ran out simultaneously with my patience for tedium.

I can’t figure out 86D except as elimination of that decade.

I have no business even looking at a Week 4!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I'd be happy to give nudges on this one; just PM me. I am paying it forward as there is little chance I would have been beamed up were it not for @AaronT and @HeadinHome!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted. Waiting for update. Pretty confident. Thanks @Wendy Walker

Edit - #65
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed after a kindly and very very necessary nudge.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting the transporter. Would not have gotten there without a full-fledged shove from @HoldThatThought.

And once I got to the last step, I still didn't get it until I asked my wife, who stared at me and said, in effect, "What's your question? You have the answer." (:::Head Slap:::)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I needed a nudge to pull me out of all my rabbit holes, but finally got it. On the leaderboard and streak is still intact. But, there is always next week!!
Cindy Heisler
three

Post by three »

Wow, @AaronT deserves a new kind of award for the amount of help provided, thank you!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I normally would not call out a fellow Muggle by name, because I always feel like I might be opening the floodgates to well-intentioned, but perhaps overwhelming PMs from a lot of other solvers. Part of my gratitude is in not saying "hey, everyone, so-and-so is happy to help!".

But... given that I'm just hopping on the bandwagon this time, I really need to thank and appreciate @AaronT, and absolutely congratulate him on his first place finish this week. As always, once you know, it seems like "of course!", but spotting this one was a real feather in the cap!

Thank you, thank you. And thanks to all the helpful people that I only thanked privately in the past.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I got it with nudges from AaronT as well but they were... Nudge "huh, you aren't making sense" Nudge, nudge "huh, you aren't making sense", Nudge,nudge, nudge "I *SAID* you aren't making sense!" Nudge,nudge,nudge,nudge "... Oh, for the love of god!"
As always, once you know, it seems like "of course!"
I'm going to say, no, there is no "of course" after. It's more "wow, I can't believe I've never seen that before and I can't believe it works so well, but, yeah, without any triggers or hooks I'd have never have seen or thought of it on my own ever. But in the future....."

(And there I am, with assist, at 54)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

woozy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:44 pm I got it with nudges from AaronT as well but they were... Nudge "huh, you aren't making sense" Nudge, nudge "huh, you aren't making sense", Nudge,nudge, nudge "I *SAID* you aren't making sense!" Nudge,nudge,nudge,nudge "... Oh, for the love of god!"
Haha. Didn’t want to deprive you of any a-ha moments. That, to me, is where it’s at! Hopefully we achieved that and I didn’t add to the frustration. 🙂

As we get closer to the deadline, I’ll probably be a little less vague.
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

Beamed up and happy to provide nudges, just PM me
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

I know several people have indicated willingness to provide nudges, but who wants to listen to my ~10 crazy theories and just tell me which (if any) is on the right track? :D Otherwise I'll be spending all day down rabbit holes...
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

AaronT - Want to say thanks! During Sunday's call I decided to subscribe. Your ambivalent response to one of the lady's question sent me down a path where I managed to get the correct answer (I think, he shows me on the leaderboard)....not sure if I did it correctly or if it's a bonus in choosing one with a 1 in 10 chance as my first.

But the title did make sense to me.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

NoFeetMcGee wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:33 pm I know several people have indicated willingness to provide nudges, but who wants to listen to my ~10 crazy theories and just tell me which (if any) is on the right track? :D Otherwise I'll be spending all day down rabbit holes...
A theory a decade!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Joe

Post by Joe »

That, my friends, was a week 16. In a million years, I wouldn't have gotten it without help.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up with the very patient help of @AaronT. I am trying to enjoy being done with this one and not to think about the horrors that await with the upcoming week 5.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Abide

Post by Abide »

After a decent nudge, I submitted.

Meta entry for puzzle #
dated:
Friday, September 23

Sorry, submissions are now closed.
:x

(I emailed answer) Congrats @AaronT !
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald