MEOW #96: She Sells Sea Shells

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

MEOW #96: She Sells Sea Shells

Post by benchen71 »

It's great that there's a place for the, shall we say, more unusual crossword puzzles that come to mind every now and then. And MEOW is that place! I trust you will enjoy the unusual grid and are able to find your way to the meta answer, which is a name. (Note that the numbers in brackets are word enumerations and are not meta-related; they are provided to help fill in the uncrossed entries.)

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

She Sells Sea Shells - Online Form
She Sells Sea Shells - PUZ
She Sells Sea Shells - PDF
She Sells Sea Shells - spreadsheet

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.
Last edited by benchen71 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Solved the grid (I think?…. never heard the solve music but don’t see any crossed-out letters). Gave up and submitted a wild guess that a few seeming hints in the grid suggested, but of course that was wrong. I still like it. I’m sure there’s a genius method to this madness that I do not see!
The other Wendy. :roll:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ditto - tho I had a legitimate answer to 1A that fit but not what was intended…

For me, that’s 3 grids filled this week, 0 metas solved. Not a great streak going into Thursday…
Ray
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

My first entries for 1A and 1D conflicted at 1. I eventually found two possiblities for both and needed to pick between starting letters. I picked the wrong pair. It appears that I am at the same point as HeadinHome and rjy in that I have completed the grid but not the meta. I have inklings but they are not very strong.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This looks like a fun one! About halfway through the grid and no leads on the meta, as of yet anyway!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

This is proving difficult - like many MEOWs before it! I may need to bring the nudges forward, though.

One thing I should say: the uncrossed entries make it harder than I wanted it to be, hence the enumerations. I would definitely recommend solving on Crosshare so that you can be 100% sure of the completed grid.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:39 pm This is proving difficult - like many MEOWs before it! I may need to bring the nudges forward, though.

One thing I should say: the uncrossed entries make it harder than I wanted it to be, hence the enumerations. I would definitely recommend solving on Crosshare so that you can be 100% sure of the completed grid.
I was actually surprised how easy the uncrossed entries were, I only had trouble with one. There is some stuff going on the middle that’s intriguing but overall what a crazy grid and a fun solve. Would like a nudge though. ;)
markhr

Post by markhr »

Verified with Crosshare that I completed the grid correctly. Still 0% on the meta, though. This is a tough one.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

The grid was tough enough (thanks for the parentheticals).
Had some great guesses, but "incorrect".
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's almost bed time here in Australia, but I think I need to release nudges early:

1. The puzzle title includes one word that should help. (The title might also confirm your answer once you have one.)

2. The key word is "shells".

3. I was going to add that "sea" sounds like "C" which could very well stand for "Chemistry" but when I ran this by @DrTom he said that was Bohring.

4. The distribution of letters in this puzzle is not even: you only find Es in the "shells" and Ps in the "nucleus".
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat is out of the torn and tattered bag. I needed all of the spoilers and still stumbled with the prompt. This is actually an impressive construction upon review. There were just not enough cues for me to know what to do.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

I needed the 3rd spoiler to get me thinking the right way. Super construction, Ben!
Darth

Post by Darth »

De_MOATed...uh, De-MEOWed!! And confirmed early on Crosshare that the answer is NOT Peter Piper! :lol:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Darth wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:14 am De_MOATed...uh, De-MEOWed!! And confirmed early on Crosshare that the answer is NOT Peter Piper! :lol:
That was going to be my Hail Mary!
MMe

Post by MMe »

This time, Ben's a "Tom". (Re: Adele -- mental!)
markhr

Post by markhr »

The cat is free. Definitely needed the spoilers.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Freed the cat - needed the nudges, though probably gettable without had I thought more about it. Neat concept, Ben... now to get MMM and MOAT by 4pm
Ray
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Rid of cat. Though only via nudges. Thanks, Ben!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I think with a different title this could have been a really good puzzle. I think the title sends people in the wrong direction. A good test solver could have helped with that.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:45 pm I think with a different title this could have been a really good puzzle. I think the title sends people in the wrong direction. A good test solver could have helped with that.
DrTom did try to warn me but I didn't listen.