Outside the Blocks: A Puzzle Podcast

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
damefox

Outside the Blocks: A Puzzle Podcast

Post by damefox »

Hi Muggles!

Exciting news! @AnswerPfinder (aka Will) and I have started a podcast! If you are familiar with the Pandora's Blocks Weekly Meta Crossword (which is run by Will and co-edited by me and Dani Raymon), you may have already listened to a "proto" episode of this, but we would love for you to check out the real thing! There's only one full episode so far (just released on Sunday!), but hopefully we will have more soon. You can find it if you search "Outside the Blocks" on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Amazon Music. (I'm working on getting it listed in more places.) You can also just go directly to the show website and listen there: https://outsidetheblocks.buzzsprout.com/. There is a ~4min trailer episode you can listen to first if you don't want to dive right into a half hour episode.

We hope you'll consider listening! Please email us feedback and also any requests you have for future episodes! Meta discussions, other puzzle types we should look into, constructors or other people we should try to interview, whatever!

Enjoy!
Emma
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm so glad you decided to continue with the podcast as I really enjoyed the pilot. I've subscribed, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
damefox

Post by damefox »

Thanks, @BarbaraK! Episode 2 will be coming your way this Sunday!
Abide

Post by Abide »

https://outsidetheblocks.buzzsprout.com ... think-this

Includes analysis of the CrowdSource MMM "Don't Overthink It"!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I really enjoyed listening to this -- thanks, @damefox and @AnswerPfinder!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Great podcast and analysis... and I appreciate the "future Emma" clarifications.

Sooo... Apologies for not knowing/remembering this, but how is @Abide pronounced?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

KayW wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:50 am Great podcast and analysis... and I appreciate the "future Emma" clarifications.

Sooo... Apologies for not knowing/remembering this, but how is @Abide pronounced?
Peter & Abby Abide's Full Run
Video unavailable
This video contains content from Sony Pictures, who has blocked it on copyright grounds
Who Wants to be a Millionaire 2000 Thanksgiving special episode 2 (FULL SHOW)

If Regis is wrong, I don't want to be right...

Peter's IMDB page.

Peter & Abby's FANDOM page.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Regis is wrong

hayride
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thank you, @Abide ! With this image in mind, even I should be able to remember it now.
HAYRIDE.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Episode 3 is out now, wherever you get your podcasts!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I listened to the new episode yesterday and really enjoyed it. Funny, I saw you two on the MMMM leaderboard and thought I hadn't noticed you two doing that one before, but since I hardly keep track of who does what, assumed it was just my not noticing. Fun hearing about your experiences with it, and nice timing since the new one is now out.

For everyone who listens to the podcast (or even those who don't but want to help out your fellow muggles:) give the podcast a 5 star rating! It was hard to find in iTunes, even knowing the name, because it's so new and doesn't have enough ratings yet. This link should take you there:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/o ... 1645598915 Or search on the full title "Outside The Blocks A Puzzle Podcast.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
boharr

Post by boharr »

^done
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I listened to the most recent podcast and thought it was good. I especially enjoyed just listening to Emma. She has a great radio voice. I think I could enjoy her reading a telephone directory.
damefox

Post by damefox »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:30 pm I think I could enjoy her reading a telephone directory.
LOL, thanks! I'll put that on the list if I'm ever brainstorming ideas for a second podcast...
ricky

Post by ricky »

Subscribed!

Also how might a humble meta constructor request that one of his puzzles be considered for discussion on such a podcast?
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
damefox

Post by damefox »

ricky wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:51 pm Subscribed!

Also how might a humble meta constructor request that one of his puzzles be considered for discussion on such a podcast?
Email me or Will! Our emails are in every episode description. I can't promise we'll cover it, and our release schedule is a bit sporadic right now, but we're always up for suggestions!

And thanks for subscribing! We're actually planning to record another episode this evening (to be released next week), so good timing.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Our most recent episode is out today, and it's an interview with Mike, the creator of Crosshare! I may be misremembering, but I think it was someone on this forum who suggested that hearing about how this website came to be might be interesting, and indeed it was! If you have 35 minutes to spare, give it a listen at https://outsidetheblocks.buzzsprout.com/ or wherever you get your podcasts.
Abide

Post by Abide »

damefox wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 pm Our most recent episode is out today...
I listened this morning. Nice interview with @miked . Interesting to hear how his original idea evolved into the state of the site today. And thanks for the shoutout!
—Brian MacDonald
damefox

Post by damefox »

Thanks, @Abide. And we pronounced your name right this time!

Another episode (this one about the two most recent Pandora's Blocks puzzles) is forthcoming this Sunday, way ahead of our usual release schedule, so stay tuned!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Enjoyed this podcast, as usual, & highly recommend!

Missed the shout-out to Peter, but will gladly listen again.