MGWCC #746 - “Our Retorter Is on the Scene”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudged to the transporter pad, awaiting beam up.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’ve beamed up. Confirmed with a friend before submitting as I’m more interested in my streak than solo solves this year.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:47 pm
Alvibu67 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:37 am I assume I’m seeing a typo in the clue for 58A and that it has nothing to do with the meta mechanism?
Wow, I never saw it saw it and even after you mentioned I looked at it looked at it and still did not see it see it. Isn't there some Internet meme like that?

T
Reminds me of a book I read:
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.54.28 AM.png
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:56 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:47 pm
Alvibu67 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:37 am I assume I’m seeing a typo in the clue for 58A and that it has nothing to do with the meta mechanism?
Wow, I never saw it saw it and even after you mentioned I looked at it looked at it and still did not see it see it. Isn't there some Internet meme like that?

T
Reminds me of a book I read:

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.54.28 AM.png
So is that akin to "All self referential puzzles are solvable except for the unsolvable ones"

If that is discussed by two physicians or PhDs it becomes the Meta; Pair a Docs.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

And speaking of other metas on this site, and Muggle Meta Monday in particular, be sure to check out this week's:

viewtopic.php?t=1845

Conceived of at one of the weekly Tuesday evening Muggle Zoom chats and constructed by the people present that evening. Including me! (OK, my contribution was small, but I was in "The Room Where it Happened":)
HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:56 pm This quick note is off-topic, but should appeal to the same audience.

While the A-list offerings of meta-superstars like Misters Gaffney, Shenk and Muller are deservedly well-known, some of our very own Muggle friends and neighbors are creating exceptional meta challenges of their own, and the links to these puzzles are presented within the very pages of this board. Patronize the puzzles of our fellow Muggles, and help develop the talents of our up and coming A-listers!

See the topics Muggle Meta Mondays, Madhatter's Enigma on Wednesdays (now under new management!), Benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday, Lexicon Devil, Pun of a Kind and more, for original takes on the puzzles we all know and love.

Remember, cruciverbalists need love, just like we do!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Late to the party due to weekend music festival. But now awaiting beam-up.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

"For my next trick, I will now create a meta out of the crossword clue 'Mauna ______'"
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Here's my retort:
#746_grid.png
#746_table.png
-Tamara