MGWCC #746 - “Our Retorter Is on the Scene”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Submitted - waiting to be beamed up...

Beamed up at 146....my second ever week 3 solo solve, and my first ever week 3 solo solve of a Gaffney (first time was a guest constructor)
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

MarkWoychick wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:37 pm Submitted - waiting to be beamed up...

Ditto

Edit - #147.

Now back to wsj meta.

Puzzling from South Carolina this week.
Last edited by ky-mike on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

May have submitted prematurely. I was so giddy to find a word that I forgot to consider if it made sense with the title.

EDIT: I have beamed up. Now I just need to figure out why the answer made sense. Maybe regional based on comments?

Explanation via PMs welcomed.
Last edited by lbray53 on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, took a second and third (and maybe fourth) look until it jumped out, but beamed up now. Phew. Now at least my scorecard for the week's metas isn't all shrug-emojis anymore. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:17 pm Now I just need to figure out why the answer made sense.
I was terrified of submitting as a result of this for about ten minutes. Yes, I'll need an explanation afterward as well!

Of course, when I first started metas, I probably thought, "Oh, that's interesting! The answer relates to the mechanism. I wonder if that always happens."

(Spoiler alert: It does, as far as I know!)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
rjy

Post by rjy »

Submitted, hopefully beamed up [edited: I am] but while I wait, the WSJ beckons. Just can’t get a toe-hold…
Last edited by rjy on Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Joe

Post by Joe »

Well, I made it on board the Enterprise. Still not even one tiny clue as to how to do the WSJ. Glad I got one of them and submitted it to the correct outfit, because how cruel is having THE EXACT SAME PROMPT FOR BOTH PUZZLES THIS WEEK???
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Better half of Team Double Toe found the key and I applied it. Must admit it hurt my brain but we have an answer that seems appropriate. While I didn't do the hard part... I enjoyed this one.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

There has been a malfunction of the transporter and I am spread across interstellar space.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Shall be on the board soon. Was very non-rush-ish about solving and submitting this week… metaverse, you do not own me and my time. Okay, that’s not true, but I shall never give up resisting, just a little.

Enjoyed this one, but would have liked the click to be a bit clickier.
The other Wendy. :roll:
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Pretty sure I'm beamed up.

edit: Confirmed! #204 and just happy to be here. :D
Last edited by edestlin on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

I assume I’m seeing a typo in the clue for 58A and that it has nothing to do with the meta mechanism?
woozy

Post by woozy »

Alvibu67 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:37 am I assume I’m seeing a typo in the clue for 58A and that it has nothing to do with the meta mechanism?
The extraneous "made it"?

Good eye. No, that has nothing to do with it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Alvibu67 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:37 am I assume I’m seeing a typo in the clue for 58A and that it has nothing to do with the meta mechanism?
Wow, I never saw it saw it and even after you mentioned I looked at it looked at it and still did not see it see it. Isn't there some Internet meme like that?

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. Easier than I expected, but even after getting my answer, I questioned if it was correct. I still don't understand it!!
Cindy Heisler
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

This quick note is off-topic, but should appeal to the same audience.

While the A-list offerings of meta-superstars like Misters Gaffney, Shenk and Muller are deservedly well-known, some of our very own Muggle friends and neighbors are creating exceptional meta challenges of their own, and the links to these puzzles are presented within the very pages of this board. Patronize the puzzles of our fellow Muggles, and help develop the talents of our up and coming A-listers!

See the topics Muggle Meta Mondays, Madhatter's Enigma on Wednesdays (now under new management!), Benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday, Lexicon Devil, Pun of a Kind and more, for original takes on the puzzles we all know and love.

Remember, cruciverbalists need love, just like we do!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Energize! With both Gaffneys solved for the week I have the rest of my weekend to enjoy. Good thing because I will be 80 miles offshore fishing tomorrow!!! Not a place to solve a meta

Stay well
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:56 pm This quick note is off-topic, but should appeal to the same audience.

While the A-list offerings of meta-superstars like Misters Gaffney, Shenk and Muller are deservedly well-known, some of our very own Muggle friends and neighbors are creating exceptional meta challenges of their own, and the links to these puzzles are presented within the very pages of this board. Patronize the puzzles of our fellow Muggles, and help develop the talents of our up and coming A-listers!

See the topics Muggle Meta Mondays, Madhatter's Enigma on Wednesdays (now under new management!), Benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday, Lexicon Devil, Pun of a Kind and more, for original takes on the puzzles we all know and love.

Remember, cruciverbalists need love, just like we do!
This was a really kind note and a great piece of advice! I am humbled by the kind words and, moreover, it's been so cool that this board has allowed me to find so many puzzles ripe for the solving (even if I often fall behind on them!).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up after following the silly rabbit around for awhile. Very clever mechanism.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, in at #225 and happy to be there. It was a look, look, look, look...darnit. Hey. wait a minute, how did I miss that. Of course then the fun began. I kind of had it explained to me but still not an Oh YEAH! Doesn't matter cause I did manage to solve so I'm a happy boy. Next week probably not going to happen because (1) week 4 (2) getting ready to go on a long trip and I doubt I'll have time to spend pouring over a puzzle. Then the next week is week 5 and the chances of my wife saying "Sure we are on the Riviera, spend the evening solving a puzzle" well as you might guess I am smart enough not to even ask!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!