"Chit Chat" Sept. 26, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Forgot to shay, I've been on the boat for a few daysh.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! Love the mechanism. Very clever. But not getting the “aha!” from the five-letter word. Maybe the connection to the title will eventually dawn on me.
In the meantime I’m heading to day 2 of the Polish Harvest Festival (Dozynki) in Yorba Linda, CA. While there I’ll celebrate with a Zywiec while nibbling on golabki, pierogi, nalesniki, and paczki.
Attachments
E77D54F9-26D6-46BC-AEC4-D01306D4A371.png
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

And just like that, helpfully nudged in the right direction and on the shore!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

On the shore at last, with a hint from @Cinny , who got a hint from someone else. Sometimes I just don't see the obvious.
Cynthia
sweetc

Post by sweetc »

Ashore, I think!
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I don't feel great about my answer, but submitted it. I hope I am ashore and it's not just an optical illusion.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

ASHORE at last, after far too much floundering! I do so love those AHA moments when the lightbulb finally comes on! Only problem is I now have no excuse for not returning to my invasive-species-eradication-project in our back yard.
Sara
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

EVJ wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:58 pm Ashore! Love the mechanism. Very clever. But not getting the “aha!” from the five-letter word. Maybe the connection to the title will eventually dawn on me.
In the meantime I’m heading to day 2 of the Polish Harvest Festival (Dozynki) in Yorba Linda, CA. While there I’ll celebrate with a Zywiec while nibbling on golabki, pierogi, nalesniki, and paczki.
What, no Chruściki?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

femullen wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:01 am
DrTom wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:18 am
femullen wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:51 pm At 1800 we splice the mainbrace, and once that tide comes in, there'll be no spare brain cells.
Hmmm, wonder where you are at that the sun doesn't come over the yardarm until 1800. Is this an Arctic expedition ship?
Aye, Dr. Tom, a polar icebreaker: the former USS Glacier later US Coast Guard Cutter Glacier, and probably this morning what you snapped in your Gillette.

We had shipmates this evening spanning three and a half decades of the ol' girl's life. Sobriety was not tolerated.
No I only shave with the USS Columbus CG-12 (which we swore meant Constantly Gone 12 months a year). I consider it payback for all of the pipe I fitted and plumbing I ran.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:20 am Sunday morning roll call, with Muggles reporting in from all over the world! Joining the beach party are ArchaicMage, Bob Cruise Director, Burak, Dr. Tom, HeadinHome, Hunkra, Inca, JeanneC, MisterSquawk, Omnibus, PJC, ReB, TeaJenny, and Woozy. Still puzzling away on the ship: Femullen, ImOnToo, Janet P, LadyBird, Susan Goldberg, ZooAnimalsOnWheels.

Remember, there's a Last Call group solve via Zoom at 8 p.m. (Philadelphia time) this evening. All are welcome, whether they've solved or not.

ALSO: Tomorrow's MMM puzzle was created by the regulars on the Tuesday Zoom meet-up. Give it a go!

Today's photo is a cute little guy I found while doing garden clean-up. I believe it's a juvenile red-spotted newt (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens).
OMG it turned her into a newt! (but she got better).
Newt.jpg
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Beach nowhere in sight.
Hoping for help from grown son
After I feed him!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Working on genealogy all weekend to be able to give a family history to a cousin for her 80th birthday this week, I decided to ignore the crossword puzzle until dinner today. Afterwards I was sitting at the table staring at the grid in dismay and suddenly the mechanism appeared. Back to the genealogy.
lisajoy

Post by lisajoy »

lisajoy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:01 pm Was so lost at sea last week, I didn't even make it to the ship! 😂

Haven't had an opp to work on this week's meta yet, so spending some leisurely time getting to know Isaac. Very much fun! Now I am not sure I even want to try to make it to shore... HMMM...😉🤔 🤷🏻‍♀️

JK 🤣
Sunday Update: gotcha! sneaky! loved the aha! am on shore now - even more fun than on the ship!🎉
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Ashore thanks to a nudge from @DrTom.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Still on the ship at the bar. Though I was on the USS Yorktown this afternoon. The Love Boat pales in comparison.
littlegreycells

Post by littlegreycells »

Ashore after a nudge!! I barely made it though
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Thanks to the Zoom last call for the nudge I needed to get ashore. Phew!
Efox999

Post by Efox999 »

Ashore thanks to the nudge in the zoom room. My boat was circling the dock and unable to find anchor, and without the nudge (just a point of the compass), I'd still be adrift.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Wow, just solved! That was fun. I hadn't seen a thing all weekend, but maybe making and eating Catfish Pastalaya tonight woke up my brain. :)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Thanks zoomers! Had my rabbit-hole confirmed, just hadn’t dug sufficiently to get to the answer. Fun solve after staring off and on all weekend, but will cede my mug chances to someone a little more worthy. Cheers all, looking forward to the MMM!
Ray